PDA

View Full Version : Help car burning engine oil

koevi
01-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey guys, my 94 integra vti-r is burning quite a fair bit of engine oil. Every 2 weeks i have to top it up with some engine oil. I use Motul 6100, i THINK its 15-50 i 4got lol. but yea if the engine is burning oil does that mean the engine is going to die out soon?

mars_panas
01-03-2009, 10:06 AM
what oil you use???

maybe try a thicker oil and have u change the oil filter??

and is there a lot of smoke coming from ur exhaust??

might be the piston rings, or head gasket as well

so have it check

geeang
01-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah my car is doing this too, I've been told that I'd need to get the head reconditioned with a new VRS kit, total about $800 including parts and labour.

destrukshn
01-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah my car is doing this too, I've been told that I'd need to get the head reconditioned with a new VRS kit, total about $800 including parts and labour.
sounds like your valve stem seals.
$800 isn't too bad.
but i think that's just the bare essentials that they have qouted you?
because in the process you might as well change the water pump, timing belt, other belts if haven't done so, thermostat, and all the hard to reach coolant hoses at the back of the motor.

koevi
01-03-2009, 11:27 AM
damm i had a feeling this would cost me abit

geeang
01-03-2009, 12:51 PM
sounds like your valve stem seals.
$800 isn't too bad.
but i think that's just the bare essentials that they have qouted you?
because in the process you might as well change the water pump, timing belt, other belts if haven't done so, thermostat, and all the hard to reach coolant hoses at the back of the motor.

Yeah I was told that $800 would be just a basic head service, but I should expect to pay the cost of a major service on top of that.

destrukshn
01-03-2009, 12:57 PM
damm i had a feeling this would cost me abit
yours could be piston rings.
have to get it diagnosed dude.
personally, if your ever taking off the head, or the pistons, might as well do everything, so everything is fresh, and you won't have to worry about it for a very long time, considering the job that is done, is done right.

koevi
01-03-2009, 08:16 PM
and umm is it normal for black smoke to come out of the exhaust when i vtec?

blk_shadow
01-03-2009, 09:20 PM
and umm is it normal for black smoke to come out of the exhaust when i vtec?

its normal when a little black smoke comes out once when you hit VTEC (but not if its continuosly LOL)

black smoke is fuel
white or (worst) blue smoke is the one you need to look out for

T-onedc2
01-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I went through considerable amounts of oil at one time until I cleaned my PCV valve, now back to normal.