PDA

View Full Version : Re-spray

xOzEvOx
01-03-2009, 11:26 AM
hey,

just curious as to what a re-spray costs..im sure it varies for quality etc.. Is there anyone on here that can do them and for around how much ? pics of your work ?

cheers

Henessaayyy
01-03-2009, 02:42 PM
I recommend getting it done professionally.
You don't want someone getting overspray inside your car, on your carpet or dash or evidence of drips along the car.

If you want a respray that bad, then invest in it and get it done properly.
In reality, you get what you pay for. So pay for the best! :)
Goodluck

kleo
01-03-2009, 05:46 PM
just take it to the panel beater (prolly best to a well known one cos there's alot of dodgy panel beaters around) and ask them.
depends on how many dents cos they have to fix that up and colour

Paul1985
01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Depends on whether you want a full car job (engine bay, interior, door jambs etc). Or just the exterior.

Then it will depend on whether its a full colour change.
Then also certain paint jobs are more expensive than others.

Once you know what you want, if its an original colour it would most likely be cheaper to sell your car and buy the same car in the colour you want (if you can find a good condition one)...

Paintjob will cost no less than $2000 and thats doing it cheap IMO.

You can save alot by doing all the prep work yourself but doing the prep work is an art. If it's not done right your paintjob will suffer.

There's alot of work involved in painting a car... Usually will be around $1000-$2000 labour, possibly more depending on the size of the job. Paint and primer is not cheap either, even on a small car like our hondas.

Henessaayyy
01-03-2009, 08:44 PM
There's alot of work involved in painting a car... Usually will be around $1000-$2000 labour, possibly more depending on the size of the job. Paint and primer is not cheap either, even on a small car like our hondas.

Paint is cheap dude. If you were to take it to a professional I wouldn't recommend doing your own prepping as they tend to dislike that idea. If you do the prepping on your own, it leaves YOU liable for the improper application of the paint. So later, if it peels and flakes... It's your ass! Not theirs :D It's Good Game (thumbsup) after that :)

So, if you ARE going to get the car sprayed, leave it all up to them. And get it done at a known place, or a place where you believe you can trust the person doing the job. As I said before. You get what you pay for :)

na-118
01-03-2009, 08:48 PM
bring it to hennesay his a spray painter air brusher

kleo
02-03-2009, 01:38 PM
yas I dna boj tihs a rof k 1 dnuorA

KCUF ..no gnah ..draobyek ym ot deneppah ftw GMO

I'd say between 1 k for a real shit job, and I say shit and up to 4 k for a good one but depends if you want a full respray or not, then they'd have to strip everything out and paint it and that will cost you more.

tiksie
02-03-2009, 01:48 PM
DIY ftw..

I will show you the end result in a few days when I apply the paint then cut and polish it!

Good thing about old Honda's is that they are Acrylic rather then mettalic, and respraying in same colour is so easy if it's just exterior.. And acrylic is so easy to work with as you can easily fix up runs/dry spots/wet spots/imperfections by just wet sanding and cutting and polishing!

Here is how my car stands at the moment.. And please don't PM me like alot of others have as I'm not interested in painting other peoples cars! But I DO paint panels/lips like 1/4 panels, side skirts :)

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/tiksie/DSC00687.jpg
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/tiksie/DSC00689.jpg
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/tiksie/DSC00692.jpg

That was Acrylic Primer straight off the gun a few minutes after applying and taking tape off, was still in the drying process as you can see..

Paul1985
02-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Keep us posted with how it turns out.

simonnowis
02-03-2009, 02:13 PM
great work tiksie, what colour you paint it?

Henessaayyy
02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Basecoat Acrylic ?
Hardest part is applying the clear coat... And why didn't you just leave the newspaper on the car? Woulda been easier to leave it :P

tiksie
02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Basecoat Acrylic ?
Hardest part is applying the clear coat... And why didn't you just leave the newspaper on the car? Woulda been easier to leave it :P

Because I have been driving it around and I didn't want to wait for drying intervals and the weather wasn't really up for it as it was going to rain later that day!!

Applying clear isn't hard with acrylic, only need 40% overlays and cutting and polishing fixes up any deformations.. This is why acrylic is much easier to work with rather then metalic/2pac/HOK!

great work tiksie, what colour you paint it?

Hi Simon,

I'm doing it the original colour that it once was before it was really faded, Milano Red.

Cheers,
Aytac

MWAKU
02-03-2009, 06:54 PM
well i got my front lip done for $100 which was pretty cheap

really good job..

tiksie
02-03-2009, 06:59 PM
well i got my front lip done for $100 which was pretty cheap

really good job..

$100 for a front lip ? lol!!!!

What a rip off.

MWAKU
02-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Sif, its not like an EG front lip, its like 4x bigger.

tiksie
02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
What car is the lip for ?

MWAKU
02-03-2009, 07:23 PM
bb6-

i attempted to do it myself, costed me around 80$

2 cans of color matched paint mixed up $30x2 = 60
2 cans of primer $10-15 or something x 2 = 20-30
2 cans of clear coat (had 1 had at home already) = 20-30.

THOUGH, that was for three pieces, so woulda costed me around aboout 80 to just do the front lip by myself anyway, with left over paint but, but yeah, $100 and it was good, shiny and everything. thats how i think of it...

Henessaayyy
02-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Because I have been driving it around and I didn't want to wait for drying intervals and the weather wasn't really up for it as it was going to rain later that day!!

Applying clear isn't hard with acrylic, only need 40% overlays and cutting and polishing fixes up any deformations.. This is why acrylic is much easier to work with rather then metalic/2pac/HOK!

Fair enough dude, thought you did it over a day/weekend... Didn't mean to come across rude or anything.

I use basecoat automotive paints with the thinners and what-not. Is that the same stuff?

tiksie
02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
All good mate, no offence taken.

What do you mean by 'basecoat automotive paints with the thinners' ?

You mean Primer with thinners ?

Henessaayyy
02-03-2009, 08:17 PM
All good mate, no offence taken.

What do you mean by 'basecoat automotive paints with the thinners' ?

You mean Primer with thinners ?

Nah... Like... You know how you use acrylic?
Do you mix thinners with it?
Because when I did airbrushing I was using basecoat paints mixed with thinners... Nevermind.. I'll just look it up :P

When you go to spray your car, will you sand it down and apply another coat of primer, or just sand it down lightly, clean it, then whack the colour on?

tiksie
02-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Nah... Like... You know how you use acrylic?
Do you mix thinners with it?
Because when I did airbrushing I was using basecoat paints mixed with thinners... Nevermind.. I'll just look it up :P

When you go to spray your car, will you sand it down and apply another coat of primer, or just sand it down lightly, clean it, then whack the colour on?

There is about 4 coats of Primer on it which has been rubbed back with 800 wet/dry dry. Another thin coat of primer was put on and rubbed back 1200 wet/dry dry.

I'm actually going to spray my car now lol, it's all taped up.

Between intervals of sanding I clean with wax and grease remover because your skin has oils/moisture on it which isn't really good especially on primer as it absorbs it right away and can preety much wreck a whole paint job!

Yes, I mix it with thinners.

tiksie
03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Here's a pic of how she is currently sitting after 3 coats of milano red straight off the gun, no sanding, cutting or polishing has been done.. Neither has a clear coat lol.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/tiksie/UNI_0722.jpg

NightKids
03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
where u located tiksie?

tiksie
04-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Check under my Avatar :p

XP02ED
05-03-2009, 10:41 AM
dont think 3 coats will be enough for acrylic paint. but doing good!

should have a thread about the respray! good for people who wants to give it a go lol

Paul1985
05-03-2009, 11:17 AM

should have a thread about the respray! good for people who wants to give it a go lol

Definately.

Doing a great job tiksie and props having a go yourself.

tiksie
05-03-2009, 11:21 AM

I'm whacking on 3 coats of clear ontop so it should be ok :)

Thanks guys :)

steve88
05-03-2009, 12:42 PM
2k is much easier to work with,
- but is likely to drip more on clear coat,
- base coat is very easy to work with
- its likely you'll have to cut back to remove orange peel unless ur mr fantastic on the spray gun

if u have no idea how to panelbeat, u can learn, you will make lots of stupid mistakes and i only recommend on doing it on a project car or spare car not your own

ive resprayed before, i spent forever on prep work-- probably longer than ur average panelbeater just to get it right then resprayed only to find i had drips so i had to respray, etc. its all a steep learning curve but just like learning manual... once u got it, u got it

tiksie
05-03-2009, 01:06 PM
2k is much easier to work with,
- but is likely to drip more on clear coat,
- base coat is very easy to work with
- its likely you'll have to cut back to remove orange peel unless ur mr fantastic on the spray gun

if u have no idea how to panelbeat, u can learn, you will make lots of stupid mistakes and i only recommend on doing it on a project car or spare car not your own

ive resprayed before, i spent forever on prep work-- probably longer than ur average panelbeater just to get it right then resprayed only to find i had drips so i had to respray, etc. its all a steep learning curve but just like learning manual... once u got it, u got it

2k isn't easier to work with.

You have to get it right the FIRST time and FIRST time only..Theres no

Even the best of the best get orange peel ALOT of the times, but it's not noticable to the naked eye and not exactly HARD to fix it up.. Especially with Acrylic!

Most likely to drip ? That's really up to your mixing ratio and more so on your actual skills in using the gun! I haven't got 1 drip yet :) Once you setup your gun and the fan pattern, you will get a feel of the distance you should keep it away from the panel, air pressure comes into factor aswell and so does alot of other things! Not the paint.

steve88
05-03-2009, 01:10 PM
i have used acrylic and i seem to get 2k better, i always end up cutting back anyway

i never like acrylic cause i never got a decent finish it was always dull needed a good polish

and yeah you're right about mixing ratio too, but clearcoat is just clearcoat and hardener you wouldn't really put much thinners in it.. as long as you stick to the ratio its not a big deal

i find the hardest bit is keeping the surface "wet" enough so it dries with proper amount of clear coat and not too much, or too little

tiksie
05-03-2009, 01:16 PM
2k isn't allowed to be used at home just for those that are interested in doing it themselves! You should wear a body suit, eye protection and a mask with clean filters!

Acrylic will always finish with a dull appearance, that's why you have to cut it back and polish it to bring out the shine.

if you get mistakes with 2k for examples lets say you accidently touch the paint job or you get a fly stuck in your paint or something stupid like a scratch.. I don't know, ANYTHING! You can't rub it back and just re-apply paint like you can with Acrylic.. For this reason:

Acrylic Paint is for the Enthusiast.

All others is for the work shop..Not only that, you need a proper oven for it to dry.

XP02ED
05-03-2009, 01:34 PM
acrylic > 2k for home job

anywaiz tikse more pics and progress!

EDIT : your compressor looks small :P how big issit?

tiksie
05-03-2009, 02:11 PM
It's only a 2.5hp 25 litre compressor!!!

But it's enough as I only need 40psi when actually putting colour and clear on.. It keeps the air pressure up and doesn't drop below 40 psi with constant air flow :)

tiksie
05-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Bit of an update.. My brother decided it would be fun to go into the garage and spray some of his car parts without me knowing and with my car drying next to his parts.. Now my car has overspray over it all even some spots where there is actual patches of paint sprayed ONTO the car..

Back to the chalk board for me, I have to rub back the whole car and re-apply 1 coat of primer and paint and clear once again -_- and it was so close to completion..

Oh well, this gives me a chance to pull the whole car apart including skirts, front bar and mirrors as I had sprayed the car with all these parts on and it was a bitch to prep so this time I can do it abit quicker.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

XP02ED
05-03-2009, 02:38 PM
u should be able to buff the overspray off if the clear is dry

steve88
05-03-2009, 02:44 PM
2k isn't allowed to be used at home just for those that are interested in doing it themselves! You should wear a body suit, eye protection and a mask with clean filters!

Acrylic will always finish with a dull appearance, that's why you have to cut it back and polish it to bring out the shine.

if you get mistakes with 2k for examples lets say you accidently touch the paint job or you get a fly stuck in your paint or something stupid like a scratch.. I don't know, ANYTHING! You can't rub it back and just re-apply paint like you can with Acrylic.. For this reason:

Acrylic Paint is for the Enthusiast.

All others is for the work shop..Not only that, you need a proper oven for it to dry.
* your right 2k is very dangerous but i have an air fed respirator so all is good
* 2k can dry overnight its no problems, has worked fine for me, if worst comes to worst hire a booth
* plus my air compressor is 3hp and 50L so i get enough pressure
* are u sure ?? ive rubbed back panels just to remove clear coat, roughened up base coat and reapplied 2k on top and its fine.. thats how i got rid of all the drips i used 2 do

Bit of an update.. My brother decided it would be fun to go into the garage and spray some of his car parts without me knowing and with my car drying next to his parts.. Now my car has overspray over it all even some spots where there is actual patches of paint sprayed ONTO the car..

Back to the chalk board for me, I have to rub back the whole car and re-apply 1 coat of primer and paint and clear once again -_- and it was so close to completion..

Oh well, this gives me a chance to pull the whole car apart including skirts, front bar and mirrors as I had sprayed the car with all these parts on and it was a bitch to prep so this time I can do it abit quicker.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

oh man thats ****ed, if ur paint was dry u could get away with clay bay or 2000 grit n polish but if it dries on same time as your car drying then you're ****ed lol

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

bossy_civic
05-03-2009, 04:27 PM
diy is a great idea if you know what your doing.
my partner is a panel beater so we are doing it ourselves and getting a painter mate to spray it
the prep work is the major factor
if you dont prep it right it can mutilate your paint
if your getting it done professionally ask different paint shops what brand of paint they use, ppg is great, sikkens isnt too bad and neither is lesonal!!
you pay more for ppg but its worth it, its a great paint to spray, great finish and easier to colour match then sikkens

tiksie
05-03-2009, 04:56 PM
* your right 2k is very dangerous but i have an air fed respirator so all is good
* 2k can dry overnight its no problems, has worked fine for me, if worst comes to worst hire a booth
* plus my air compressor is 3hp and 50L so i get enough pressure
* are u sure ?? ive rubbed back panels just to remove clear coat, roughened up base coat and reapplied 2k on top and its fine.. thats how i got rid of all the drips i used 2 do

oh man thats ****ed, if ur paint was dry u could get away with clay bay or 2000 grit n polish but if it dries on same time as your car drying then you're ****ed lol

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

Clear was semi-dry, so still moist.. so it sunk into it -_-

See what you did with rubbing it back just to remove clear coat, that's how you get fish eyes because there is sillicon-like substance that is left over when you do that from the clear! And preety much how you get even more orange peel!!

Sexc86
05-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Another import factor is if you want to paint over your existing paint.. or remove all the paint on the car back to the bare metal. all comes down to cost though

AznTeg
05-03-2009, 06:10 PM
check out my post :P if ur interested pm me for more info..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101910

steve88
05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Clear was semi-dry, so still moist.. so it sunk into it -_-

See what you did with rubbing it back just to remove clear coat, that's how you get fish eyes because there is sillicon-like substance that is left over when you do that from the clear! And preety much how you get even more orange peel!!
would it matter if right before i respray i use prepsol? apparently that removes silicon based substances

tiksie
05-03-2009, 07:37 PM
would it matter if right before i respray i use prepsol? apparently that removes silicon based substances

wax and grease remover :thumbsup:

You can also get a razor blade and put it on the body so it's touching it at 90 degrees and just slide it along very carefully and you will see a film of silicon come off which makes it easier to sand and not clog up your sand paper.

steve88
05-03-2009, 08:47 PM
wouldnt matter now, im hondaless lol :( aprents handmedown ftw