PDA

View Full Version : changing into first while moving

trezmoc
01-03-2009, 02:28 PM
hey everyone.

i drive a dc2 vti-r and like a lot of other cars i cant change down into first when im moving faster than about 10km/h.

wat is the part that stops this and is it easily removable? it sucks having to roll up 2 lights just as they turn green and taking off like a grandma in second. takes a good 5 seconds or so to get VTEC!

Henessaayyy
01-03-2009, 02:38 PM
If you keep your foot on the accelerator to keep the revs up when shifting down it will shift smoother... I dont mean reving it to 6000 RPM... At 10 K's you should be able to shift it downwards at about 3-4k RPM. (Not entirely sure) I've never shifted down to first while rolling, it isn't a good thing to do at all. I really don't see why you HAVE to shift to first. Can't you stay out of VTEC when taking off from lights?

Or are you throttle happy and just enjoy 8k RPM every gear? :)

RtN
01-03-2009, 03:53 PM
rev match and it'll pop in.

bennjamin
01-03-2009, 04:05 PM
you should never really need to go back into first without coming to a stop.

JDM.Power
01-03-2009, 04:43 PM
you should never really need to go back into first without coming to a stop.

yep no point going into 1st unless you coming to a complete stop.
your car should be able to be in 2nd an doing 5kays, and just put foot to gas your car should move easily.

koevi
01-03-2009, 04:47 PM
I got a integra vti-r too and that happens to me too lol, sometimes it gets annoying when u need get a fast take off from slowing down to a turn and u cant gear into 1st and take the turn like a grandma as u said lol. In some cases, kinda dangerous too

aaronng
01-03-2009, 05:28 PM
You have to double clutch. Put it into neutral, lift your foot off the clutch, give it a blip of throttle and then clutch in and put it into 1st. Blip the throttle again, let the clutch go and throttle on!
This is what I do and it goes into gear very very smoothly, even at 50km/h as long as you blip the throttle to the right amount before shifting.

Chernoby1
01-03-2009, 07:50 PM
your car should be able to be in 2nd an doing 5kays, and just put foot to gas your car should move easily.

Correct in this case, but not all cars are like this. Sub-litre displacement are usually very picky and will have a great chance of you stalling if putting load on it at <2000 rpm

As mentioned above double clutching does make it easier to pop the gear in, as will rev matching. However, if you are pain lazy, get new synchro's (wouldnt call it a cheap mod)

aaronng
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Even with new synchros, you will have a bit of resistance getting into 1st while moving at 10-15km/h, and when you do it goes thud which is the sound of the synchros speeding the input shaft up.

T-onedc2
01-03-2009, 10:52 PM
hey everyone.

i drive a dc2 vti-r and like a lot of other cars i cant change down into first when im moving faster than about 10km/h.

wat is the part that stops this and is it easily removable? it sucks having to roll up 2 lights just as they turn green and taking off like a grandma in second. takes a good 5 seconds or so to get VTEC!
Just blip the throttle, perhaps a bit more than a usaul "blip" to get 1st. It goes in easy if you do it right, out of habit I always heel-toe and use this if I do a u-turn and need to get moving quick, or come across a tight uphill hairpin in the hills and need 1st gear.

migoreng
01-03-2009, 11:00 PM
if you are moving at 10k you can push it into first if you give it a little more force...not sure what sort of damage will be done in the long term..
90&#37; of the time i will ride the clutch a little in second to get the car moving again...but yeah slugglish like hell.

trism
01-03-2009, 11:03 PM
yep, just hit the throttle up to 3 or 4k and use a little bit of force and it will go in

aaronng
01-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Blipping while you clutch in won't help shifting into 1st. Blipping with the clutch out in neutral helps.

Chernoby1
02-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Blipping while you clutch in won't help shifting into 1st. Blipping with the clutch out in neutral helps.
+1

Oh and not sure about Honda's, but for my car swapping to 75w-90 g/box oil made a HUGE difference. It got rid of the 'clunk' between 1st and 2nd shifts aswell

T-onedc2
02-03-2009, 07:31 AM
well a 3-4k blip works for me everytime with no force needed.

mars_panas
02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
if you above 10km/h best gear to be in is 2... only gear down when you can feel your car unstable

when i am at the shops car park i normally go on gear 1 coz gear 2 feels unstable....

you just have to read your car as in feel your car....

just takes time and practice

trezmoc
07-03-2009, 12:15 PM
i'll give the double clutching thing a go. im not necessarily a red line fiend it just sucks having no torque so low in the rev range. with a full car load and a slight hill i imagine the engine is under a fair load in second anywhere below 20 odd kph.

thanks 4 the input

trezmoc
07-03-2009, 12:18 PM

i know this. ive taken off from standstill in third a couple times accidentally and was too lazy to change down but it can be dangerously slow for some manouvres in traffic and annoyingly slow when people are behind u.

gotta say though... 0-150 odd in one gear is pretty cool.

tiksie
07-03-2009, 12:42 PM
gotta say though... 0-150 odd in one gear is pretty cool.

Here is where your OzHonda days are numbered.

trezmoc
08-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Here is where your OzHonda days are numbered.

?????