PDA

View Full Version : problem with central locking!

JDM.Power
02-03-2009, 03:09 AM
as my title states my central locking is not working and i cant even get my drive side door locked, which means i cant park it anywhere :thumbdwn:
my passenger side door works, i can lock it and unlock it by hand and key
but i cant unlock it by remote.
the problem is i cant even use the key to turn the driver side door to lock, nor lock it by hand inside or by remote, what would be wrong with it?

trying to get it fixed asap cause il be using this car to get to work n that, and need to get it fixed!

Sydsyd
02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
could be the door lock actuator...

kraiye
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
your drivers actuator may be jamming. pull your drivers side door trim off and disconnect the rod that connects to the actuator. at least u should be able to lock it by hand.
if that does prove to be the problem, pick up a couple actuators and replace them. not too difficult :thumbsup:

B18cEG
02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
It does sound like you have a seized lock actuator, they are pretty cheap to replace, about 10-20 each, as said above they are very simple to install/replace, when you come to install the new actuator flick the door latch with a screwdriver where it clips onto the car body via the "U" bracket, this will then allow you to move the door lock, when aligning the actuator make sure you set it with the lock in the full unlock or full lock position and make sure the actuator is full in or full out depending on how its mounted.

Good luck

JDM.Power
02-03-2009, 11:00 AM
thanks guys, for the replies, just woke up.. and read thee replies, il fix it now, lol.

JDM.Power
02-03-2009, 11:19 AM
would i just follow the lines off thats connected to the actuator and take it off?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/MRb18c/Image011.jpg

JDM.Power
02-03-2009, 11:37 AM
even with the actuator out, i still cant put it lock and unlock by hand?

B18cEG
02-03-2009, 11:43 AM
even with the actuator out, i still cant put it lock and unlock by hand?

Is that also with the door closed?

JDM.Power
02-03-2009, 11:49 AM
i just tried, i can lock/unlock it by key when door close, and i can unlock n lock it when im inside the car, so would be the problem then? just the actuator? i tried unlock n lock with remote, the actuator just budges a lil bit thats it

B18cEG
02-03-2009, 11:53 AM
yes sounds like the actuator, the actuator when pressing the remote should extend fully then retract about 10% and same when pulling inwards, all should be done within about .5 of a second.

JDM.Power
02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
guess il change the actuator then, for now lunch timeee oo yeah day off work :)
thanks for your helps guys.

B18cEG
02-03-2009, 12:01 PM
no probs man, yeah days off are the best lol

Sir_vtec
02-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Once u take off the door trim, there is a knuckle that connects one rod to the lock switch and door handle which sits in the bottom slot of the knuckle ( small grey piece of plastic) from inside the car, and theres another rod which sits in the top slot which runs to the actuator....

Make sure the end of the top rod is not on the edge of the knuckle. The end of top rod should sit as in as possible.

I had the same problem and i undid the screww and pull the top rod in more then screwed it in tight which helped it maximise its pulling distance when u flick the lock to lock the doors.

When i get home i ll post a pic. im certain thats ur prob cos i had the same prob.

i hope im making sense lol

EDIT: Thanks for the correct term b18cEG lol

I also oil the spring that is located at the lock switch and handle so it flick open and close smoother

B18cEG
02-03-2009, 12:38 PM
that thing is called the knuckle

JDM.Power
03-03-2009, 11:25 AM
alrite i bought a set of actuators, 35bucks for 4, lol
but anyways, i rewired to the new one, and all it does it retract inwards, but when i press with remote it wont retract all the way out?

B18cEG
03-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Have you tried only hooking up the green and blue wire, since you have a remote you dont really need the brown, white, and black triggeres, is it only pulling inwards when not connected to the rod?

Thanks

98vtir
03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
yeah my central locking has failed, been on the blink for a while, sometimes it used to make a sound like it was trying to lock but didn't have enough grunt to push it over and lock now it doesn't even make a sound like its trying. I can unlock and lock by key though and alarm still works lol. Since the driver side unlocks passenger side too I think if I just change the driver actuator it'll be sweet...hopefully :P

JDM.Power
03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
you have same problem as mine
when i lock it with the key, n press the alarm to engage, and when i come back to my car, i unlock it
only the passenger side unlocks, and not the driver side.

B18cEG
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
yeah my central locking has failed, been on the blink for a while, sometimes it used to make a sound like it was trying to lock but didn't have enough grunt to push it over and lock now it doesn't even make a sound like its trying. I can unlock and lock by key though and alarm still works lol. Since the driver side unlocks passenger side too I think if I just change the driver actuator it'll be sweet...hopefully :P

thats correct, after time they do get very weak, even faster if there is too much strain on the actuator from incorrect installation, sway it over and you should be sweet:thumbsup:

dvsx
05-03-2009, 11:18 AM
how much would it cost to get someone to do the job?
my passenger doesnt unlock/lock with the remote but it does unlock/lock with the key and from inside.
i couldnt take off the door trim lol undid the screws n everything

EDIT: so changing driver side actuator will fix up passenger side??

98vtir
05-03-2009, 12:29 PM
how much would it cost to get someone to do the job?
my passenger doesnt unlock/lock with the remote but it does unlock/lock with the key and from inside.
i couldnt take off the door trim lol undid the screws n everything

EDIT: so changing driver side actuator will fix up passenger side??

I dunno about cost to do the job but your problem sounds the same as mine, doing it yourself will be quite easy, taking the trim off and on is probably going to be more tricky than doing the actuator

and when ya take off the screws theres these clip things that you gotta pop out, just stick your fingers in under the bottom, i find starting where ya speaker is and run them along, you should hear them pop out. once all the clips have been taken care of ya kinda slide it towards your bumper. Getting it back in is a bit trickier though.

And yeah, doing the driver side will fix the passenger side. On mine anyways, when you unlock the passenger side the driver side stays locked, but when unlocking driver side, passenger unlocks too so that tells me there's only an actuator on the driver side.

JDM.Power
05-03-2009, 12:46 PM
tools to take off the trim, phillips head + flat head to pop out the door trim, start from the bottom with the flat head near the speakers, put the flat head under the trim and just sway it towards you and you will hear a pop, and just continue doing that till all clips are off and it will come off.
make sure you take out a screw in the handle and power windows and unclip the power window plug before you take off the door trim.

dvsx
05-03-2009, 01:36 PM
sweet as, thanks guys, no wonder it wouldnt budge, damn clips.
il probly have another go later.

my passenger side feels as if its totally been disconnected, like when i used the remote, i cant hear nothing moving in the passenger side door. and also when locking/unlocking manually it feels really loose, where as the driver side door i can feel like something holding it back.

where do you buy actuators from btw?

JDM.Power
05-03-2009, 02:01 PM
sweet as, thanks guys, no wonder it wouldnt budge, damn clips.
il probly have another go later.

my passenger side feels as if its totally been disconnected, like when i used the remote, i cant hear nothing moving in the passenger side door. and also when locking/unlocking manually it feels really loose, where as the driver side door i can feel like something holding it back.

where do you buy actuators from btw?

local autobarn should sell in a set 35bucks, thats how much i got mine for, came with 4 off them and other other necessary stuff.

98vtir
05-03-2009, 03:57 PM
lol, i forgot about the screw in the door handle and that haha of course!