PDA

View Full Version : New Engine for 2006 in F1.

LUD02C
24-10-2004, 01:02 AM
Read.

2.4 litre V8s for 2006, changes for 2005
FIA confirm the rules package

The ten-cylinder V10 engine is on its way out

Despite some very hard lobbying from the likes of BMW, Mercedes Benz and Honda, the FIA announced today the rules package for the 2005 season and beyond and the 2.4 litre V8 engine formula will take effect come January 1st, 2006. Team may continue with a V10 engine until the end of the Concorde agreement in 2007, but at a reduced and capped rev-limit.

Modifications to the chassis come into effect next season while each team must qualify and race on the same set of tyres.

The following is a press release from the FIA.

On June 30, 2004, the World Motor Sport Council voted unanimously to invoke Article 7.5 of the Concorde Agreement and give notice to the Formula One Technical Working Group (TWG) to propose measures to reduce the performance of the cars within two months. Notice was given on July 6, 2004.

When the TWG failed to produce proposals by September 6, 2004, the FIA Technical Department proposed three packages of measures to the TWG, in accordance with Article 7.5(c).

In summary, all three packages involved bodywork changes to reduce downforce, new tyre rules to require “harder” tyres and a reduction in engine capacity from 3.0 to 2.4 litres with eight cylinders. Of the three, Package 1 gave the most aerodynamic freedom but imposed maximum restrictions on the engines; Package 2 gave less aerodynamic freedom but slightly fewer engine restrictions; and Package 3 imposed further aerodynamic restrictions but gave the same technical freedom for the 2.4 litre V8 engine as the current 3.0 litre V10.

All the teams were prepared to agree the bodywork changes and tyre regulations contained in Package 2. However, opinions differed on the engines. The closest to the necessary 8 out of 10 votes was at the meeting of September 6, 2004, when the TWG voted 7 to 3 in favour of the Package 2 engine rules.

The TWG met most recently on October 15, 2004, but still failed to vote 8 to 2 in favour of any one of the three packages within the 45 days specified by Article 7.5. The World Motor Sport Council was therefore free to impose its own measures from October 21, 2004, to come into force no sooner than three months from publication.

On October 21, 2004, the WMSC decided to impose Package 2 and that those parts of it which apply to 2005 would come into force on March 1, 2005 and the remainder on January 1, 2006.

Package 2 consists of the following measures:

2005 (to come into force on March 1, 2005)

Bodywork
Changes to the bodywork (aerodynamics) to raise the front wing, bring the rear wing forward, reduce the diffuser height and cut back the bodywork in front of the rear wheels.

Reason: it is estimated that these changes will result in the loss of 20% or more downforce with minimal loss of drag.

Tyres
One set of tyres must complete qualifying and the race.

Reason: a harder tyre will reduce cornering speeds.

Engines
Each engine must last for two complete Events

Reason: a two-race engine will give less power than a one-race engine.

2006 (to come into force 1 January 2006)

Engines
The introduction of a 2.4 litre V8 engine together with a number of restrictions concerning design and permitted materials.

Reason: reducing capacity is a sure way to reduce power (as repeatedly requested by the TWG), while technical restrictions will limit the rate of power increase. It is estimated that power will drop to about 700 bhp compared to the 1000 bhp that existing engines will reach by 2006.

In order not to prejudice the smaller independent teams the existing 3.0 litre V10 engines may continue to be used in 2006 and 2007, subject to a restriction on revs to be determined by the FIA.

Reason: having reduced engine power, we need an inexpensive but competitive engine for the smaller independent teams, including newcomers. A rev-limited 3 litre can be adjusted to be competitive with factory 2.4 litre units, but will be far less costly.

E.A.
Source FIA

wynode
24-10-2004, 01:47 AM
I'm still trying to make sense of this comment:

Reason: having reduced engine power, we need an inexpensive but competitive engine for the smaller independent teams, including newcomers. A rev-limited 3 litre can be adjusted to be competitive with factory 2.4 litre units, but will be far less costly.

jackosimm
25-10-2004, 08:45 PM
hmmm they keep putting these restrictions on but they keep getting faster, is it always the anwer?

7th Gen
25-10-2004, 09:06 PM
hmmm they keep putting these restrictions on but they keep getting faster, is it always the anwer?

yeh, they will always manage to find a way around it. aerodynamics, grip from the tyres, 'electronic goodies', weight reduction by using more carbon fibre etc

anyone watch last night's race? saw the highlights on the news, schumacher spun and a bad way for the jags to go out in their last race with webber being taken out by klien. i heard button blew an engine early?

well, good to see montoya bag a win in his last race for williams, kimi and rubens the other podium place getters. well done to BAR on the 2nd in the constructors

Hondavirgin
26-10-2004, 08:51 AM
I don't think they should be making changes to slow the cars down, they should be making changes focused at cutting costs and increasing passing....

K3NstyL
26-10-2004, 01:49 PM
But the faster that something travels the harder it is to pass, due to reliance on undisturbed air. The speeds they do now don't really allow them to get too close because of turbulence, unless of course if there is a major parity in car performance. (or racing at Monaco).

Hondavirgin
26-10-2004, 01:56 PM
if they were going to lower speeds enough so that the cars didn't rely on aero grip (and therefore the turbulence effects were negated) then we'd be watching formula fords drive......i think its anything over 180km/h starts to punch a hole in the air?

[ slayer ]
27-10-2004, 06:01 PM
yeh, i mean i want F1 to be more competitive and interesting, but i am tired of the sport i like being constantly messed with the slow the cars down etc.

i understand costs are way high to have any chance to win, but why couldnt a situation of cost caps be considered? then teams would all have equal finance options but be free to build car to whatever speed/power etc they want.

just think all the rule changes that constantly seem to be happening will kill the sport. as mentioned above, if we wanted slow cars with no grip we would watch formula ford

Javed
27-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Cost caps would not suffice, predominantly because the budget that the smaller teams could afford would be deemed too low for other teams. I don't know with F1 atm, im kinda mixed. I like it how it is, but in some respects I don't. Somehow I think I will not take too well to drastic changes. Especially this engine change.