PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Civic surging

max1975
02-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi all,

I am new to this forum:wave:. Tried searching threads but could not find a similar problem yet...

About 6 months ago I noticed our family Honda Civic started to accelerate and decelerate after about 20 - 30 minutes of running. This is with the accelerator pedal in the same position. The car does it mostly when running between 60 to 80 km/hr but stops altogether when running at 95+km/hr. The surging cycles probably two or three times in 15 seconds. It has been getting worse overtime. More recently the car appears to brake when slowing down, without touching the brake pedal. Checked brakes - all OK.

Took it to a Honda dealer in Perth and I was told the CVT tranmission had a fault and quoted me $8k:eek:. Apparently this sort of transmission cannot be fixed.

Tracked down a company called Hondworld in Vic who suggested that it was due to a cracked drum in the tranmission which could be replaced. After receiving it back, the surging is still ocurring. (Put the special CVT fluid in it as per HondWorld's recommendation). Took it to another dealer and they diagnosed the transmission as the fault again.

Has anyone observed a similar problem? And what could it be?
Does anyone know any good Honda repair shops in Perth area?
In my phone calls no one wants to work a CVT.

Chris from HondWorld is sending over a valve body to replace on the transmission, not confident this is going to work.

Any assistance or suggestions appreciated.