PDA

View Full Version : hid and zenon bulbs

GTrain
03-03-2009, 08:19 AM
I have just recently bought a cu2 euro and am looking at changing the bulbs to brighter and whiter ones. My car is the base model so no stock hids. I want to keep everything legal and i was looking at my options. There are HID conversion kits but also zenon bulbs that you can buy to replace the stock H1
is it legal to put zenon h1 bulbs without washers and auto-levelling?

twing
03-03-2009, 08:42 AM
what's zenon light?
I assume it's a hallogen bulb with white/blue colour.
In that case, it's fine.
But, IMO, it's a downgrade because the lumens rating of those light are lower than normal yellow hallogen light.
go for narva plus 50, or other similar kind for better upgrade.

night_wolf
03-03-2009, 09:19 AM
the term is xenon not zenon. it is a heavy orderless gas that is filled in the globe chamber that reacts to the temperature of the filement within the globe. these globes are generally also in HID kits. hid kits run the gas through the globe continusely thus causing the high intensity light, hence the name HID (high intensity discharge)

if i were you i would go with the xenon hid's since they are better than the cheaper alternative xenon globes, and the life span of the globes differ vastly. hids can out last the life of the car generally so therefor it will last longer than the average hallogen globe or xenon globe.

x10Hz
03-03-2009, 09:47 AM
i second that, and in terms of being legal - in Vic i believe if it between 4500k and 6000k it is legal.

night_wolf
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
technically aftermarket hid's are illegal because most older cars dont have the head lights to properly direct the light beam. so the light particles tend to be flared all over causing irritation to other drivers. put aftermarket HIDs in a projector lens i.e intergra dc2 and the hid beam is more focused.

but most new cars already run factory hids so there wont be any hassel running after market hid's. 6k is the mildest to the eyes and the best ones for use. i have 3k hids which are yellow/amberish color and yet havnt had drama with cops or anyone.

x10Hz
03-03-2009, 10:13 PM
i have 6000k normal beams and 8000k fogs, no police drama.

Encor3
03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
technically aftermarket hid's are illegal because most older cars dont have the head lights to properly direct the light beam. so the light particles tend to be flared all over causing irritation to other drivers. put aftermarket HIDs in a projector lens i.e intergra dc2 and the hid beam is more focused.

but most new cars already run factory hids so there wont be any hassel running after market hid's. 6k is the mildest to the eyes and the best ones for use. i have 3k hids which are yellow/amberish color and yet havnt had drama with cops or anyone.

Also need to have headlight washers if you have hids.