PDA

View Full Version : Experience of Replica Wheels

simon8855
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi all,

The price of Replica Wheels are very tempting now a days.
Anyone out there mind to share some experience of using replica wheels? Is it worth to buy a set or shouldn't be trying one?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers

kongfu
03-03-2009, 04:13 PM
no issue with replica

M@lew
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Probably vary from brand to brand how well it's made.

simon8855
03-03-2009, 04:25 PM
any recommended brand?

xqwzit
03-03-2009, 04:36 PM
BSA wheels, well known, quality and looks :P

simonnowis
03-03-2009, 04:52 PM
depends on the replica... I know a couple of people are iffy about Rota's after those pics of damaged damaged ones, but Iv never had any problem with them, I guess with everything durability is dependant on how well you take care of it. id sure buy another set of rotas in diff style if i had the cash.

If you can spare the cash for genuine, go with it..there will be more value to them over time, a reliable brand you can trust, and resell isnt an issue.

dyljoy
03-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Agree with u, simonnowis, just u pick one u like and what u get is what u paid for.

geeang
03-03-2009, 05:36 PM
The pictures of the broken and smashed ROTA's are completely useless, ANY wheel that hits a gutter side-on at speed will break. I've seen Porsche Carrera GT wheels and Ferrari wheels broken just like those ROTA pictures, and I'm pretty sure that those wheels are of high quality.

Best thing to do is to get the best wheels suited to your taste, and your price range only REAL difference would be JDM whores prefer branded bits and you shouldn't care what they think.

simon8855
03-03-2009, 05:43 PM
thanks for all your replies mates....

what about wheels with brand? worth to buy it?

90LAN
03-03-2009, 05:46 PM
yeah replicas are alot better than jdm /top end wheels these days
they have caught up
best to get the style u want not the brand when it comes to replicas

simon8855
03-03-2009, 06:56 PM
oh...okok...thanks a lot for all your information

by the way, any idea on how heavy is the original 15'' steel wheel of GE8 Jazz?

eg5civic
03-03-2009, 08:40 PM
yeah replicas are alot better than jdm /top end wheels these days
they have caught up
best to get the style u want not the brand when it comes to replicas

I love your latest influx of sarcasm lan :p

Imo i'd prefer to buy real

Also dont by forged replicas of multiple piece wheels

If that makes sense

simon8855
04-03-2009, 08:27 AM
any idea on how heavy is the original 15'' steel wheel of GE8 Jazz?

EK1.6LCIV
04-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Ive never had a problem, beside the obvious weight diff (stuff all to be honest in most Ive had, lol) they have served me well :D

I guess its the daily driver side of me that would rather them in case of damage and the cheapness to replace if need be (less than 150 a wheel)

but now Im going back to oem for the balance factor, as one of the rims was a bit out at the time and took an extra 15min to sort out, other than that good wheels

try tempetyres, they send out the wheels via tnt to your home, great service :D

mocchi
04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
weight difference.

desmond regamaster 15x7 (4.1 or 4.2kg) (4stud or 5 stud?)
rota slipstream 15x7 (5.4kg)

if interested in weight saving.

NightKids
04-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Damn there's no 15" wheels @ tempetyres...

EK1.6LCIV
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
there is, just not much compared to 17"s

tried Bob Jane?

NightKids
04-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Volks CE28 replica:-

http://www.bsawheels.com.au/pic/1024200554843PM.jpg

or

Advan RG Replicas:-

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/FEL12X/ce27008f.jpg

EK1.6LCIV
05-03-2009, 01:28 PM
RG's :D

noobie90
05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
how about TE37's they look alright...

NightKids
05-03-2009, 09:08 PM
The RG's don't seem to be doing itself any justice in that pic, looks kinda plain...

chargeR
05-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Replica wheels make me sad.

I am sure that they are adequate quality and strength for driving on the street, but doesn't the theft of original designs bother any of you at all?

dasicvtec
05-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Replica wheels make me sad.

I am sure that they are adequate quality and strength for driving on the street, but doesn't the theft of original designs bother any of you at all?

I agree also, if anyone remembers there was a article about how right now we might not care to buy replica's of particular products, but eventually manufacturers wont be making the same money, they wont want to continue making better products and there will be less innovation.

My opinion on the matter is to save up enough so that you can buy genuine rims or dont buy them at all. ;)

OMG.JAI xD
05-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Replica wheels tend to be one piece or just made of a material.

Genuine is usually 2 piece and/or forged.
Super light, super strong.

I think genuine bend n crack instead of shatter.

Quality is a difference.
But for street use. Replica is satisfactory.
Youre not going to take a corner at 150km/h. And potholes are no rim friendly.
Rather smash a 200 dollar rim than a 600 dollar rim.

noobie90
06-03-2009, 08:16 AM
^^ i agree with that... replicas are just as good as the real deal but just cheaper

chargeR
06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
^^ i agree with that... replicas are just as good as the real deal but just cheaper

They might be approaching the same quality, and may be even be nearly as strong, but they are not just as good. You are fooling yourself, and you are also not actually agreeing with the post above you. He is suggesting that replicas are inferior but cheaper which isn't what you seem to think.

You appear to have convinced yourself that Rotas and the like are a gift sent down from the heavens so that average joes like yourself unwilling to put in the time and effort to support original designer's can afford wheels that look like an original. This is not the case. Replica wheels are a blight on the wheel industry and people like you that don't see the problem with supporting replica manufacturers are not true car modification enthusiasts and you should gtfo.

tRipitaka
06-03-2009, 09:41 AM
replica wheels are the way to go..
especially replica wheels with replica stickers on them too..

e.g. rota slipstreams with replica evo stickers

tiksie
06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
VORKS ftw.

barefootbonzai
06-03-2009, 10:20 AM
hell yeah. Genuine fake wheels + Genuine fake stickers + kebab = subwoofer!

Crapdaz
06-03-2009, 10:34 AM
vorks ftw.

vork ravs on the blue DC5R @ outside UTS ftw!!!

peeweechik
06-03-2009, 10:56 AM
nothing wrong with replica wheels and not every one can afford brand. just keep in mind replica wheel quality might not be the best and ive seen how they turn out, but nothing wrong with it.

branded wheel is priced as it is cause its well knwn quality and the experience that consumers have. so paying for it is worth it.

replica is good but some time consider the long run. it might not last long, i guess what you pay is what you get.

good thing about replica is that it wont get stolen ^^

talkin about replica, any one on the west side seen a blue dc5 fake r lol cause i reckon it hilarious when i look at it. it some black dude with a dc5 with a "you so can tell it a fake type R sticker" and a type r spoiler

steve88
06-03-2009, 11:04 AM
VORKS ftw.

hahaha i had that on my rims lmfao, pulled it off ASAP

NightKids
06-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Replica or branded, it's your own decision.

It's like religion, don't force the other party to think the same way as you do. Just leave us alone!!!!!

Replica FTW

barefootbonzai
06-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah it's your own choice. It's like Sony and Sonic, Panasonic and Palsonic, Honda and Hyundai, all the same really.

flipfire
06-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda and Hyundai ... what?

where can you get the VORKS sticker. i want to stick it on my friends car

tiksie
06-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda and Hyundai LOLOLOOLOLO

90LAN
06-03-2009, 03:15 PM
i have vorks and rotas
nothing wrong with them

tRipitaka
06-03-2009, 03:51 PM
saw a taxi with a GTR sticker on the back the other day..

same concept with replica wheels really..

EK1.6LCIV
06-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I could just get geniune Work stickers for fake Work rims and half of Brisbane wouldn't know the diff... lol

The Chinese will rule the world :D

VT3C
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
hahahaha VORK FTW !!

I got SpooM's.. they're replica Spoon SW388/Desmond Regamasta..

I have had them about 4 years now and no problems at all.. quality is fine - they're nice and light but I know the genuine forged versions are lighter yes.

I have an issue with copyright and we SHOULD support the original manufacturers for their research and development costs etc.. but sometimes not al lof us can afford the originals.. one SW388 would cost about the same as my whole set of replicas.

as long as you dont buy fakes then tell everyone they're real.. that is just lame hahaha.. be proud of your ROTAs hahaha..

and yeah all those pics of broken Rotas on the net - if you did those kinds of things to any genuine forged rim you'd get the same result.. sideways into curbs at 100, rolled cars etc..

I say buy some cheap rims then save the extra $$$ for a performance part like coilovers or engine swap ;)

chargeR
06-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Wheels are performance parts.

EK1.6LCIV
06-03-2009, 04:07 PM
it's no Porsche... lol

geeang
06-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Replicas are nowhere near as good as the real deal, they're just nowhere near as bad as some people make them out to be.

xqwzit
06-03-2009, 06:50 PM
had a set of vork te37 reps in my previous ride, 15" with 195/50 r15 tyre.
ran over numerous pot holes, bumps, tracked, drove to queensland, sydney not one single problem.

mrwillz
07-03-2009, 07:57 AM
at the driver stunt show @ movieworld
on the evo's they use advanti rims to do their stunts, even driving on two wheels

replica's ftw

NightKids
07-03-2009, 08:26 AM
Replicas rule this world & people who don't think that are just haterz

hondar
08-03-2009, 09:10 PM
last december

work wheels international sales division come to visit australia for the first time.

during one of magazine interview, one of the questions asked was about replica work rims that is floating around to that this is the answer

they said they see the situation in two light.
one it is quite an honor that people want to copy their wheel. it shows they have make it on the scene. no one wants to make a copy of bad brand. only good brand they want to copy.

on the bad side, it does damage the reputation if somone using fake work wheels and the wheel failed.

the president of work wheels went to thailand one day for a visit and decided to grab a set of replica work wheels and to be send back to japan to be tested for safety requirements for road worthiness.

out of 4. 2 passed and 2 failed.

i was told that's the scary part. replica wheel can be made with inconsistent quality. and when work wheels create their wheels, they go thru different testing as follows:

Dynamic cornering fatigue test - Transverse forces to the wheel during bending
Dynamic radial fatigue test - Stress to the wheel during straight or cornering driving
Impact test - Measure the strength against breaking and air-leak dropped at 90 degree

Work Wheel has been certified to be above JWL and JWL-T standard by 120% on all testing.

I was told it is like a russian roulette. It just takes one of them to malfunction and your life can be at risk. and thats what they fear. People think work wheels has failed and caused serious accident or death when it is actually the replica.

A lot of people think it is just a piece of metal and why we should be paying so much for it, i guess you are paying for the piece of mind and consistency in quality. Each work wheels goes thru stringent testing before it is handed over to you.

Neither i am here to judge with what you spend your money with. For me there are two things i will not compromise tyres and wheels. They are the one that is contact with tarmac and they are the one that if fail to perform cause greatest damage and fatality.

On personal stand, i will not buy or sell replica parts. To me it is not right even though it will cost me profit as i have been asked if i sell them. But like i say i am not to judge what you want your spend your money on, but just shedding some perspective from japanese side who has their wheel being copied.

90LAN
08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
well said leo

mugenrr
08-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Replica supporters type in
REPLICA'S FTW

Genuine supporters type in
GENUINE'S FTW

SHOGUNOVDDRK
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Replicas are nowhere near as good as the real deal, they're just nowhere near as bad as some people make them out to be.

Very true

well said leo

And a Amen

^ In there sig? You didn't specify.