PDA

View Full Version : engine upgrades ?

Stevo77
03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
hey guys,
as some of u may already know i own a 1994 integra vti-r.. engine wise the upgrades i have made are a k&n cold air induction system, hitech extractors to a 2 and a quarter inch pipe all the way through to high flow cat to an xforce canon.

now i wanted to do some more work to my car.. i was wondering where to go from now..

any tips or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

cheers Stephen.

OMG.JAI xD
04-03-2009, 07:40 PM
ECU.
Get a good one.
And get a good tuner.

Work from there.

geeang
04-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Good bang for buck upgrades include:
4.928 final drive
Lightweight flywheel

dudeling7
04-03-2009, 08:39 PM
yeah i would recommend a light flywheel and clutch if you haven't changed them yet.

B18cEG
04-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Intake manifold, Slightly larger Throttle body, camshaft and valvetrain upgrade and an ecu or piggyback, all depends how much u wanna spend, got a budget? goals?

F.O.B Squad
04-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I'd say depends on the condition of your motor, if its high k's and needs some attention and may need a overhaul.
Otherwise if in good nick possibly look at getting a good intake manifold and throttle or cams/gear sets then work your way to getting a good ecu and tune.

Stevo77
06-03-2009, 03:19 PM
ok thanks heaps guys for ur help.
in regards to the kms on my car i have 116.xxx which isnt too bad for a 1994 model.. soo the engine is in pretty good condition. i assume i need a tune though because ever since i upgraded the exhaust my car is blowing alot of black smoke when i accelerate hard. as for the mods im going to do ill most likely get an upgraded throttle body and cams and fuel pump for now.. i also want to get hotter spark plugs and upgrade the leads. and ill then upgrade my ecu and get it all tuned properly.

just another question is the black smoke caused by the new exhaust ive put on or is it cos the cars running rich i cant really work it out..

thanks again for the help guys its greatly appreciated.

tayl51601
06-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I reckon get a new pump and maybe injectors then get it tuned with hondata FTW, if not hondata it can still be done with something like a Apexi-NEO but wont be no where near as good as aftermarket ecu.

With the black smoke thing mine used to do that too when i use vtec, not sure if it does any more i havent had a mate drive behind me after i have had mine tuned.

How much black smoke is coming out? Could be your piston rings, but i doubt it.........
Possibly dirty spark plugs??? just a wild guess lol

geeang
06-03-2009, 04:57 PM
No point upgrading your fuel pump unless your one is dying, throttle body + cams you'll need an ECU + tune to really get the most out of it.

And blowing black smoke out during VTEC only means you're burning extra fuel (which is normal during VTEC). You only need to be worried if you start shooting white/blue smoke during VTEC, that's when you're burning oil.

thescotty
06-03-2009, 05:52 PM
turbo..

enough said.

mooshie
06-03-2009, 08:49 PM
don't bother with the spark plugs and leads. as long as you have good OEM you are right to go. Fuel pump is not required unless the old one is on its way out and maybe just get an injector clean, you need way more upgrades than what you have noted to need any higher flow rates.
Cams, cam gears, Intake manifold and throttle body(s..) is good and then you will need an ECU.

Starts to add up. might as well go to the dark side...

thescotty
06-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Turbo I say!!!!

Stevo77
07-03-2009, 11:47 AM
thanks again guys for the tips..

umm as for the black smoke it only blows black smoke out during vtec soo if thats normal then im ok with it... although im still going to get a tune as i think the cars running rich... the inside of my exhaust pipe fills with black soot after one drive.

with the mods then i guess ill start to research the different upgrades for the best brands and quality and start working on my car. i cant go to the extent of a turbo atm as im still on my P's lol.

thanks heaps for ur help..

ps. if theyre are any valuable mods that anyone has forgotton please dont forget to mention them too me..