PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket parts vs OEM

Ek4Vtir
04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi guys just want to see your suggestion on the matter. I'm planning on giving my ek4 a face lift as I think it makes the car look more modern. I've asked around about prices in regards to aftermarket and OEM parts and the difference is massive!! In some cases 5-6 times the cost for an OEM part compared to aftermarket parts. I know that OEM parts fit perfectly and in some cases aftermarket parts might not. But does the price really justify getting a OEM part? Post your experiences with purchaseing a aftermarket part compared to OEM. It'd be interesting what you guys would have to say.

EK1.6LCIV
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
OEM will fit spot on, the lines will match, and if you get a good painter, it will look great :D

aftermarket stuff isnt quality tested and can vary greatly, like my front lip :p

I have been able to make non-geniune stuff fit, but in most cases if given the option, I will go oem for the convience and overall satisfaction

if you're getting it all at once, expect a discount at your dealership anyways, ppl sometimes are reluctant to call up Honda for parts, which surprises me as most of the time if you're buying a bulk of items, you will save some serious coin :D

EK9
04-03-2009, 10:35 AM
imo for body/panels, oem will be way better for fitment, no doubt... you can always go second hand also to save on costs.

thing is going oem = guaranteed 99% fit (depends if new/old panel, your car, etc of course). after market is harder to say. but if you can test fit before you buy, then that makes life easier.

i think you can get aftermarket oem style from this site ozeparts.com.au

oh, and prefacelift is still hot.. look! lol
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr202/ParkerDC2/Sunday%20Funday/DSC_0240.jpg

EK1.6LCIV
04-03-2009, 10:37 AM
love the preface :D classic lines :D

civicek4
04-03-2009, 10:44 AM
as above post. OEM is definitely convenient and fits perfect.

using aftermarket feels like the parts are 'forced' on + you will notice gaps if you look closely - depending on the job of course.

when using an aftermarket EJ8 front bumper compared to a genuine EK 99-00 rear bumper you notice very quickly the difference in fitment and why it costs are so distant.

Look at wreckers first, there should be a few facelift civics liying around - see what you can do there.

Ek4Vtir
04-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Interesting thanks for da post guys I'll contact the wreckers see what sort of deal they can offer :)

Raztaz
04-03-2009, 02:56 PM
My exp.,aftermarket lip doesn't sit flush, there are gaps on the sides between the lip and bar, if i scrape something the lip will be pushed against the bar and scratch it where as the OEM front lip has all mounting holes and clips (and a thin rubber strip i think on the front lip?) My grill doesnt sit all the way in and had to use a bit of force to make it go into place

beeza
04-03-2009, 04:20 PM
So true,aftermarket never fits right,ya always gotta ghetto it on,then it looks NOTHING like the above pic.Bloody beautiful!

Ek4Vtir
04-03-2009, 05:07 PM
lets make it a bit more interesting :P these aftermarket parts looks as good as OEM. Comment on the parts are flawless so far. hmmmm

my mistake wrong link before haha

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81038

MikeyG
04-03-2009, 06:37 PM
dude please atleast listen to them they are helping you out.

I bought aftermarket stuff to my ek and i can tell "why did i waste my money on that when i could of saved abit more and get the read deal" they dont sit right, they are really shit compared to OEM it doesnt even come close, you will hate yourself for it.

BUY OEM. Rock the real stuff fuk the fake stuff.

Ek4Vtir
04-03-2009, 08:03 PM
dude please atleast listen to them they are helping you out.

I bought aftermarket stuff to my ek and i can tell "why did i waste my money on that when i could of saved abit more and get the read deal" they dont sit right, they are really shit compared to OEM it doesnt even come close, you will hate yourself for it.

BUY OEM. Rock the real stuff fuk the fake stuff.

I didnt mean any harm lols, just want to see everyones views :) I appreciate the replies, gives me an idea which way I will go in the end.

EK9
04-03-2009, 08:21 PM
there's nothing wrong with going aftermarket... that's y there's an industry cos ppl want!

but like everyone said, u usually pay wot u get for... so even if it's a good aftermarket piece, looks good in fotos and all, it may not fit well on YOUR car! every car might have rolled off the factory line 99.99% the same, but after 10 years, it bends, buckles, warps, gets repaired... and the list of possible defects goes on.

anyway, by all means u can pay less for a cheaper aftermarket item... may fit 100%, but it generally is a higher risk item then getting oem. and most time the quality of cheaper aftermarket parts can't even compare to oem (we're not talking about $1000 "made in jdm land" front bars or panels here).

so yer... for stock facelift look, definitely go oem. the extra money is worth it.

Raztaz
04-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I backed into a tree once, no dent or cracks, not even a scratch, OEM is winrar, one tuff rear bar lol

Ek4Vtir
04-03-2009, 09:48 PM
true yeah, pay for what you get, makes perfect sense :)

I've got the compared quoates from a Honda Wrecker I know of they source old and new parts

Aftermarket:
- $110 Front Bumper
- $88 per fender
- $220 Bonnet
They didnt supply CTR grillie or lip so I didnt bother asking lols.

New OEM parts:
- $267.00 Front Bumper
- $271 each Fender
- $306.00 Bonnet

I probably just go second hand OEM though, since he said he can go as low as aftermarket prices because its used.

kraftycuts
05-03-2009, 01:29 PM
you will need a facelift grill if you want to do the facelift.
i facelifted my ej8 and its currently at the painters, my front bar is oem same for the bonnet but my fenders and grill are aftermarket and my painter him self has a few aftermarket parts on his ek1 its perfect fitment. he told me that using all aftermarket will not work for sure. but using a combination of oem and aftermarket can work. it also depends how you are doing the facelift because you will need to do some cutting on of radiator support.