PDA

View Full Version : car bouncing all over the place?!

power_of_dreams
04-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks, but it seems as though my car has started to bounce all over the place. It has occured during straight line driving 60km/h plus and on freeways.

Running stock suspension for about 25,000km, with stock wheels. Have checked tyre pressure, made it a little better but it's still there.

What should I be looking for in a blown shock?

DvSnGuYeN
04-03-2009, 01:20 PM
are your nuts tightly secured? Maybe something's loose...

power_of_dreams
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
which nuts might you be talking about?

Crapdaz
04-03-2009, 01:54 PM
wheel nuts..

what is the condition of the car? accident's potholes etc?

Sir_vtec
04-03-2009, 01:56 PM
You mean bouncing up and down when u go over a little hump or those slight bumps here and there on the surface of the road? Like a sharp and sudden bounce?

Did u ever run after market springs on the stock shocks at one stage?

I have to say that its your shocks that are gone and your springs are absorbing all the bumps.

Crapdaz
04-03-2009, 02:04 PM
You mean bouncing up and down when u go over a little hump or those slight bumps here and there on the surface of the road? Like a sharp and sudden bounce?

Did u ever run after market springs on the stock shocks at one stage?

I have to say that its your shocks that are gone and your springs are absorbing all the bumps.
If on stock sussy the potholes and bumps won't be noticeable.

As you said most likely would be the shocks. :)

power_of_dreams
04-03-2009, 02:26 PM
wheel nuts are stock, have not been removed since last service.
I don't remember going over any potholes, no accidents etc.
Never ran aftermarket springs.
They are not sharp/sudden bounces, more like soft and cushiony.

Apparently there should be oil/dirt stuck to the strut if it is blown, is this correct?

Could a flat be a problem? I just checked my tyre pressure a couple of hours ago, one of my tyres was 28, the otheres were around 35psi. Then again the bouncing was still there after I put the pressure back up, albeit not as bad.

V73C
04-03-2009, 05:56 PM
check bearings ???

OMG.JAI xD
04-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Busted bumpstops?

power_of_dreams
04-03-2009, 07:31 PM
check bearings ???

Busted bumpstops?

how do i check these? car is cl9

CB7_OWNER
04-03-2009, 07:47 PM
to check bearings,
1. Jack up the car,
2. Position your hands at the 12 and 6 o clock position and push and pull with your hands.
3. Position your hands at the 3 and 9 o clock position and push and pull with your hansd again.

If there is any sort of play ( play meaning, the wheel actually moves slightly as you push or pull on the tyre,).. I forgot whether step 2 or step 3, refers to wheel bearing, but in either case if there is play in either of step 2 or 3, then there is something abnormal.

To check bumpstops:
1. jAck up the car
2. locate the shock body, ( not sure if the weight of the wheel will reveal the bumpstop, if not step 3)
3. locate the dust boot that sits on the shock, its a cover thingy, that protects the piston rod from dust and water.
4. You should notice a chunky piece of "rubber" that sits on that rod., if it looks like its crumbled,, then there is a problem...

Sorry if im not clear.. hope it helps. or someone else can chime in.

Have you check that your wheel nuts are tight? on all your wheels?....

If your not able to diagnose the cause, then just bring it to a honda dealer, and take them for a test drive

OMG.JAI xD
04-03-2009, 07:48 PM
CL9.
So its a mchperson style suspension.

It sits on the shock shaft.
So basically requires RnR of the suspension assembly.

Can be diy. Time consuming.
Id opt for the smaller n easier checks first.

aaronng
04-03-2009, 08:05 PM
CL9.
So its a mchperson style suspension.

It sits on the shock shaft.
So basically requires RnR of the suspension assembly.

Can be diy. Time consuming.
Id opt for the smaller n easier checks first.

CL9 has front double wishbone and rear multilink (5 link double wishbone).

power_of_dreams
04-03-2009, 08:25 PM
to check bearings,
1. Jack up the car,
2. Position your hands at the 12 and 6 o clock position and push and pull with your hands.
3. Position your hands at the 3 and 9 o clock position and push and pull with your hansd again.

If there is any sort of play ( play meaning, the wheel actually moves slightly as you push or pull on the tyre,).. I forgot whether step 2 or step 3, refers to wheel bearing, but in either case if there is play in either of step 2 or 3, then there is something abnormal.

regarding bearings, when you say push and pull, you mean push intowards the body and pull out towards me? do I jack one corner at a time?

V73C
05-03-2009, 08:36 PM
regarding bearings, when you say push and pull, you mean push intowards the body and pull out towards me? do I jack one corner at a time?

correct

power_of_dreams
05-03-2009, 08:52 PM
correct

cheers, i'll give it a shot tommorow and let you know.
i checked the wheel nuts today, they were all on tight.
tyre pressure was what 36 all round like I put it to yesterday too.

V73C
05-03-2009, 09:29 PM
just an input, im not sure how yours does it, but when my bearing busted, the car kept jolting to one side, then popping back into place. this happend to my left rear bearing, so on the highway, the wheel kept jolting in and out really randomly. its kinda like a wavy feeling, except going from right to left, then left to right.
had no idea what it was, i got all fussed up on it and just shook the wheel hard out, and realise my bearing was completely busted.

power_of_dreams
06-03-2009, 12:21 PM
i just did one corner then, it seemed ok. when I push-pulled, the car gave a bit of a wobble, but the wheel itself seemed firmly attached.

i'm not too keen on doing the other corners because my street/driveway isn't that level. i'll have to do it at a carpark sometime

Type R Positive
06-03-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks, but it seems as though my car has started to bounce all over the place. It has occured during straight line driving 60km/h plus and on freeways.

Running stock suspension for about 25,000km, with stock wheels. Have checked tyre pressure, made it a little better but it's still there.

What should I be looking for in a blown shock?
The roads are just shit sometimes mate. The tarmac can have corrugations in it.

Both my cars do it occasionally.

*LOL at replies!*

power_of_dreams
06-03-2009, 12:58 PM
The roads are just shit sometimes mate. The tarmac can have corrugations in it.

Both my cars do it occasionally.

*LOL at replies!*

I travel the same road everyday, which includes a section of freeway. Considering this and the fact the bouncing wasn't previously there, I find bouncing while driving on a freeway abnormal.

Type R Positive
06-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I travel the same road everyday, which includes a section of freeway. Considering this and the fact the bouncing wasn't previously there, I find bouncing while driving on a freeway abnormal.
Conditions change.

Does it do it all the time everywhere at 60km/h+? or just freeway?

If you really worried about it, get a wheel balance and possibly an alignment too.