PDA

View Full Version : Car choking when the gas is stepped on or rev too quickly

hungzki
04-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I am having troubles when I step down on the gas petal then the car sounds like it is choking very badly resulting in complete power loss and sometimes it would let out a loud bang which sounds like it comes from the exhaust.

This happens more generally when the car is warmed up and when I step down on the GAS petal quickly. It does not happen when i rev the car up slowly. It only happens when I try and rev it up quick. This can also happens when i leave the car neutral so i don't think it has anything to do with the clutch.

Can anyone help me out her or give me a slight idea what could be wrong with it?

VTi_b0i
04-03-2009, 08:22 PM
this happens to my daily! lol and it doesnt wana start? it full putters and dies! exhaust problem?

geeang
04-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Possibly a collapsed cat? Have a mechanic check out your car.

EuroAccord13
04-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Does it only happens when the weather is hot? Seeing that you are in Victoria, we've been experiencing rather hot days until of late.

beeza
04-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Such a common sounding problem,it's like it's flooding it then bang! explosion...I've always wondered what causes this.

hayashi_1986
04-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Your fuel pumps gone. Let me guess, if you accelerate slowly the revs build up but there's almost no power or movement? Then when you decide to floor it, it splutters, chokes and goes BANG kinda like "vrOmmORORMMM BANG BANG vroROORMMA AAAAA BANG BANG"? It idles fine as well? Takes a little longer to crank than usual (more than two starter motor turns/cycles), maybe for or 5 turns before firing up?

If your answer is yes to any of the above, your fuel pump is officially rooted. Have a done in cat or bad exhaust will make your exhaust smell like dead bodies, it'll go BANG...but it normally won't make your car splutter and lose that much power.

hungzki
04-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Your fuel pumps gone. Let me guess, if you accelerate slowly the revs build up but there's almost no power or movement? Then when you decide to floor it, it splutters, chokes and goes BANG kinda like "vrOmmORORMMM BANG BANG vroROORMMA AAAAA BANG BANG"? It idles fine as well? Takes a little longer to crank than usual (more than two starter motor turns/cycles), maybe for or 5 turns before firing up?

If your answer is yes to any of the above, your fuel pump is officially rooted. Have a done in cat or bad exhaust will make your exhaust smell like dead bodies, it'll go BANG...but it normally won't make your car splutter and lose that much power.

Well, the car sounds like vRooooOm PHUT PHUT PHUT BANG VROOOM. Yes it does take more then 2 cranks to start it up. Thanks for this, I had an idea that it was something with the fuel pump. Will go check the pump and exhaust and let you guys know.

hungzki
04-03-2009, 10:17 PM
btw is there anything else i might need to check out as well?

xtat1k
04-03-2009, 10:39 PM
might wanna check if you're running 4 cylinders.

Sir_vtec
04-03-2009, 10:51 PM
^^^ check spark plugs.

Phamiii
04-03-2009, 10:57 PM
this happen to me same thing n the thing was i had water in one of my spark plug hole n i was only driving 3 cylinders n after i cleaned it the car didnt turn on so went a mech n he fixed the timing in the engine nit was fixed but then it didnt last long until i got a new engine soo yeah.
hope that helped

Bludger
04-03-2009, 11:51 PM
flooding the cylinders with fuel will also cause it to choke and splutter.

hungzki
05-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Another issue that I got this morning is that i started hearing a rattling or sparking noise after i reved the car past 3000RPM. After a while it went away. Any idea peeps? It sound like it came from the passenger side of the engine compartment

Type S Tony
05-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Bro in relation to you other problem, check your fuel filter FIRST!!!!!

geeang
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Instead of coming here with endless problems, why don't you just take your car to a mechanic?

barefootbonzai
05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
sounds like your vtec fell off.

Bludger
05-03-2009, 01:41 PM
sounds like your vtec fell off.I once used alraldite to glue mine back on

hungzki
05-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Car is a Honda DC2R 1999. I have changed the Fuel Filter about 5000kms ago. Well, I am replacing the Fuel Filter again and Fuel Pump this Sat.

VTi_b0i
05-03-2009, 08:39 PM
my car has been idling at like 1500 rpm, it doesnt want to start, it starts then putters then dies :S i start it, and pump the accelerator and when it finally fires, i pump again and it revs like mad then idles at 1500rpm, even after driving for 10min + it still idles like this :S rather strange considering i had the 200k service like 2months ago

hayashi_1986
05-03-2009, 10:02 PM
My money's still on the fuel pump :) For the post above, tried testing what codes your throwing with the ECU diagnostics test?

barefootbonzai
05-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I once used alraldite to glue mine back on

Glag Glue always works for me.

xtat1k
05-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Car is a Honda DC2R 1999. I have changed the Fuel Filter about 5000kms ago. Well, I am replacing the Fuel Filter again and Fuel Pump this Sat.

why are you changing it again and not checking the problem first?
wouldnt finding out the problem be the smart thing to do?

beeza
06-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Another issue that I got this morning is that i started hearing a rattling or sparking noise after i reved the car past 3000RPM. After a while it went away. Any idea peeps? It sound like it came from the passenger side of the engine compartment

Sounds like the fuel relay fuse...mine is behind the glovebox.If it is,dosen't mean it's buggered,it just clicks.

VTi_b0i
06-03-2009, 03:25 PM
My money's still on the fuel pump :) For the post above, tried testing what codes your throwing with the ECU diagnostics test?

nahh i havent yet man, i shall do this probably 2morrow, but if it does start etc, why would it throw a codE?

tiksie
06-03-2009, 06:20 PM
The choking is a fuel surge.

kindra
11-03-2009, 12:47 AM
I had the same problem with my old car. When going on the free way and stepping on the gas it struggled then went normal. Its most likey the fuel pump. Get it replaced.

hungzki
26-03-2009, 11:54 AM
The issue has been cured and no longer exist. Turns out i had faulty sparks which were failing and distributor was blown. Thank you everyone for the suggestions but many thanks to AKMOTORWORKS for fixing it up.

VTi_b0i
26-03-2009, 11:55 AM
now i just gotta find why its doing it to mine :( lol

will13
26-03-2009, 12:26 PM
dont know if its similar, but my suzuki cino was doing this and it turned out to be a clogged air filter. just removed it and it went fine lol

beeza
26-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Damn,just a clogged air filter.And a battery that's low on power can cause strange occourances.

VTi_b0i
26-03-2009, 12:51 PM
well mine just struggles to start, then runs abit dodgy at times :S it starts then chokes and dies, then eventually starts fully, and idles REALLY high

beeza
26-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Can U take it somewhere to have someone look at it?

It may be the better option.

Chriskoss
26-03-2009, 01:14 PM
I think its timing/ignition.. as others have said, check your spark plugs and leads, if a cylinder(s) isn't getting enough spark the engine will choke under load as you have described

hungzki
26-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I say, take your car to AKMOTORWORKS in Ringwood, VIC. They do a very good job :)

VTi_b0i
26-03-2009, 01:59 PM
lol i cant really afford to take it to a mechanic atm as i lost my job :S im just about living of money ive made selling car parts :S

Perry
26-03-2009, 03:04 PM
lol i cant really afford to take it to a mechanic atm as i lost my job :S im just about living of money ive made selling car parts :S

WTF serious ?

VTi_b0i
26-03-2009, 03:05 PM
lol yeahh man... tough times atm ay... look at my forsale thread :(

beeza
26-03-2009, 03:20 PM
lol yeahh man... tough times atm ay... look at my forsale thread :(

U certainly are not alone mate.There's comfort in that.

AKmotorworks
27-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Christian, after you plug in the Tunerview 2, give me a ring, and ill walk you through your problems

VTi_b0i
27-03-2009, 11:57 AM
LOL i dont have one yet? was still waiting for Darren to let me know its in? lol remember i got the wrong one? i wanted the dash mount one, but i got the cased one? :p

Vtecyo
05-05-2009, 07:40 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would love to know at ur problem is VTi boi any updates? Have u changed ur pump yet ?

VTi_b0i
05-05-2009, 07:46 PM
LOL nahh sorry i havent man... its still running like crap LOL i just dont have the funds to take it anywhere...haha just had to put rego on the POS...ill try soon

Vtecyo
05-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Im glad I have found this. I think i have a similar problem. However a little more complex....

I have noticed mine 3 times now. It happens after I hang my car though my fave almost 90degee corner in 2nd year. ( to test my coilovers ;) ) I have taken the corner and a smalller corner to straighten up and then when mid VTEC it dies... drops power and about 500RPM. It goes again for a moment and then does it a 2nd time.. and then jumps back into VTEC ( maybe a small bang when it comes back, didnt rly notice, was more like WTF! )

At first i thought it was the fuel sloshing around and serging after the corer. As i only had about half a tank.. ( not sure if this is possable ).

I noticed another odd thing. I looked at the cluster when it was in its 2nd chocke and i noticed the ABS light was on. It turned off justt after the the chock has finished.

I did anther test. The car did the same thing after a straight line VTEC. This kinda rules out the corner as being a factor.
However this time is didnt rly do it mid VTEC, just after...
On this stright line test i also looked down and saw afew dash light on ( I was the malfunction indicator light and maybe the ABS light on again) . And even more confusing and scary the ABS light stayed on. However went away when i restarted the car.

Any Ideas? It sounds like the fuel pump packing up and serging under strain. However I dont know why the light on the dash would show up....

btw. I SRS light is constantly on. Even since replacing afew fuses. Been meaning to look into it. I dont think this would be related though...

Im going to do that ECU test and see what codes i get, but i dont know how that will really help.

Please any help is greatly appreciated:D

<3 ozhonda

Vtecyo
07-05-2009, 08:00 PM
It did it again tonite. and the malfunction indicator light on the rite of the dash came on..... Rite when it momentarily died....

eeeeek!

Vtecyo
17-05-2009, 02:01 PM
hasnt done it in awhile..

VTi_b0i
17-05-2009, 04:51 PM
lol dont u hate it when something fcuks up, then it doesnt, so u think its all good.. .then it fcuks up again :(

Vtecyo
20-05-2009, 05:28 PM
yep! Ive bought a 2nd fuel pump incase it gets rly bad. But chances are that now ive bought it it wont end up being the fuel pump....

Mullensxxx
20-05-2009, 07:15 PM
can i suggest checking your injectors? might be dirty and clogged up

friend had similar simptoms, it makes sence that it could be ur injectors are clogged up but yeh give it a go

p.s need pq points :P

B18cEG
23-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Have you tried adjusting your tps correctly to .46v closed throttle.