PDA

View Full Version : TACHO ADVICE please~

izzy
24-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Hi guys, i was wondering if i could have your advice if there is any point in installing a tacho for a civic ek1 cxi, since the tacho does not come standard for this model on the dash?

Z
24-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Just buy a secondhand set of gauges from the wreckers, mine cost me ~$100.

Terry
24-10-2004, 08:00 PM
i agree.......as factory parts usually be the most reliable. :D

izzy
24-10-2004, 08:06 PM
how much did it cost you to get it installed?
and btw my car is auto? so should i even be bothered?

Z
24-10-2004, 08:30 PM
I just installed it myself - a few screws/plugs and your done.

Not sure if it would be worth it in an auto, I guess its up to you?

Muckafutha
25-10-2004, 02:49 PM
so wat if its an auto. doesnt mean u cant have a tachometer. the tach is definitely worth it...doesnt make the car go faster but it sure makes it feel that way.

Wreckers have them and u can search on ebay(american site) as i saw a few for auto cars.

25-10-2004, 03:33 PM
think ish really after you..your style or if you wanna actually see your rpm i got an aftermarket one and mount in on the right part of the dash.

mine cost me a far bit so also depends how much you willing to spend and if you can put that money towards something else for the car,,

izzy
25-10-2004, 06:22 PM
theres a difference between tachs for auto and manuals? wat the hell? so would it be more difficult to install a tach for an auto?

Surrufus
25-10-2004, 08:09 PM
does the ek1 cxi even have a sensor for the tacho coz it doesnt have a tacho standard? im going to put one in too

Z
25-10-2004, 08:30 PM
You just take out the old one, and put in the new one. You dont need to pissfart around with any sensors etc. From memory its just 3 plugs.

Also, use a magnetic screwdriver. I lost one of the screws into the depths of my dash ;)

Muckafutha
25-10-2004, 09:13 PM
theres a difference between tachs for auto and manuals? wat the hell? so would it be more difficult to install a tach for an auto?

There isnt really a big difference. Just that if u get the one for an auto car then u get the little row of lights that show u which gear u are in. They work fine even if u put a manual one in an auto car and vice versa.

There are only three plugs and they are all plug and play. somehow all the lights and indicators will just work...eg i had an indicator light for boot release or door light that my cxi didnt have and the indicator works when i pluged it in

sikcivic
25-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Not really worth getting a tacho for an automatic, i've got one in my auto EK1, absolutely no point, it reads about 300-500off the standard... mine is GLi buy the way.

26-10-2004, 02:12 PM
does the ek1 cxi even have a sensor for the tacho coz it doesnt have a tacho standard? im going to put one in too

got no idea wat sensor your talking about but i got an EK1 and i got a tacho mounted. and yeh it works fine.. i got a place to install it when i bought it. mine manual though... so yeh..

anyways. up to you. your style and your car.

Surrufus
27-10-2004, 09:56 AM
newbie where did u mount yours and wire the electrics to?

27-10-2004, 01:24 PM
the guys did it for me.. so i dont know exactly where.. sorrie not much of a tech head on cars..

i mounted it on the right side of dash in the corner. i fink ish looks sweet as.. but i know they had to wire it to somewhere in my engine bay. i can have a look if you really need me too.. but i fink alot of other people on this forum can help you straight away..

izzy
27-10-2004, 05:09 PM
have u got a pic of it?

panda[cRx]
27-10-2004, 06:05 PM
dont bother with tacho man -_-
whats the point??

ek
28-10-2004, 12:58 PM
If you are going to get one, just pick up a GLI instrument cluster from the wreckers, it will work no problems as my brother put on in his CXI when he had it.

Not too sure about the automatic transmission indicator thing though, I guess you could look for a automatic GLI cluster to put in if yours is a auto.

28-10-2004, 03:40 PM
have u got a pic of it?

nah not really. i got the white El guages too.. (rice! i know) but yeh matches i guess blue glows for both.

thats my tacho/shiftlight (the first one) but ish upto you. and especially cause ish auto..?
http://www.the-pivot.co.jp/product/flame-gekko-e.html

wreckers are good..yeh just swap the whole thing, the only reason i didnt was i like the mounted appearance. all about style and wat you want out of YOUR car dude!