PDA

View Full Version : DIY request: HID install for EK1 96 civic CXI

NMD
06-03-2009, 11:04 PM
as the title states, ive recently bought an HID kit for my EK1 civic. tried fitting it up the day i got it in the mail and found that i had to replace the shades...eeeeeek!

if anyone has a guide to change to HID's that would be fantastic. even just some tips to change over would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
brendan

ps. im a 3rd yr mechanic apprentice, so im reasonable on the tools if that makes any difference.

turtle187
06-03-2009, 11:21 PM
give me a few days ill post my own DIY up for you
and what shades do u have to replace?
not sure bout wat ur talking about

NMD
09-03-2009, 10:08 AM
oh sweet thanks!

the shades that cover the original head light and reflect it back onto the rear of the light. you have to put in longer ones in my kit at least cause the HID bulb is a fair bit longer. me and my mate couldnt figure out how to change it without pulling the front bar and grill off.

but yeah im looking forward to your article
cheers
brendan

turtle187
09-03-2009, 10:13 AM
oh sweet thanks!

the shades that cover the original head light and reflect it back onto the rear of the light. you have to put in longer ones in my kit at least cause the HID bulb is a fair bit longer. me and my mate couldnt figure out how to change it without pulling the front bar and grill off.

but yeah im looking forward to your article
cheers
brendan

hey dude, the HID BULBS shouldnt be longer then your current shades on ur civic and yes you have to pull off your front bar and grill to take off the lights without any hassles

shouldnt be hard at all,
:thumbsup:

end7
31-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Are your bulb is H4 hi/low or H4 low? Pic of your HID bulb will be nice as i have no problem at all with the shades (my ride).

burner42
04-11-2009, 09:56 PM
i have a Hi/Lo kit from MuSecret, all i did was:

- clamp the bulb down first without the rubber seal
- leave the metal plate clamped, rotate the bulb out
- attach the rubber seal (shades)
- then re-attach the bulb to the plate

didn't need to replace the rubber shades or anything, the shades were perfectly shaped to the bulb and sealed it completely

ej20i
04-11-2009, 11:30 PM
yea, i installed HIDs in lots of EK already, it is quite a bitch especially the left hand side where that stupid container is!
all i did was
1.take oem bulb out
2.twist open the HID and pull it apart from the new "Shades"
3.clamp the new "shades" to the headlight
4. twist back the HID to the new" shades"
5. and put the rubber seal thing back on it

burner42
04-11-2009, 11:43 PM
probably better and easier to remove the light and fit the parts in, then trying to do it while the light housing is in the car

stylzjhn
05-11-2009, 05:23 PM
probably better and easier to remove the light and fit the parts in, then trying to do it while the light housing is in the car

That way may take longer. It really depends how skilled you are at it. I've installed many kits in various cars and they were all pretty simple. The civic/jazz is one of the hardest ones i've come across (rubber seal/some bottle crap was a b****). But when you install a HID kit, its best to take off the bumper anyway so you can find a good location (preferably behind the bumper) to install the ballast.

burner42
05-11-2009, 06:42 PM
That way may take longer. It really depends how skilled you are at it. I've installed many kits in various cars and they were all pretty simple. The civic/jazz is one of the hardest ones i've come across (rubber seal/some bottle crap was a b****). But when you install a HID kit, its best to take off the bumper anyway so you can find a good location (preferably behind the bumper) to install the ballast.

correct, only way to take out the lights is to remove the bumper on ek's, hence i said to remove the lights. It's really easy to remove all these parts, just the matter of running the wires neatly that's all, of course not forgetting the ballast. I did mine really neat, but to find out that the unit i brought was faulty. sucks.

tiksie
12-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I would suggest removing the front bar like someone else said to mount the ballast somewhere neat so there isn't the ballast and wires everywhere.

On the passenger side, try unmounting the power steering bottle and moving it to the side, no need to remove the hoses, gives you a bit more space to work with if you dont want to take off the headlights.

aznalex
30-12-2009, 11:29 PM
is there a DIY somewhere in the forum?

if so could you point me towards it? i cant find a diy with good pix

thanks

edit: i mean i cant even find a DIY for this topic
(EK Civic HIDs)