PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil leak - help for a newy please

Chriskoss
06-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Hey guys my name's Chris and I just joined these forums because I just bought a 1991 Integra 5spd manual and loving it.

I just noticed recently though that theres a slight oil leak under the right-hand side of the engine (when looking from the front)

It drips out quiet slowly and over night would have a puddle about 10cm diameter.

Just wondering if this is common for an older-model integra? and if it's something to worry about?

I did read this thread http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101897&highlight=oil+leak but wasn't the same problem to mine though

I can provide pics labelled from where it is leaking.. but just imagine front of the car near the grill on the right.

P.S The engine oil light flashes when I first turn the car on too

Cheers and great site!

xtat1k
06-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Engine oil light turns on because you probably dont have enough oil in there.
If you keep driving with no engine oil you're gonna blow your motor.
Best thing to do is take it to a mechanic and get it fixed up.

Chriskoss
06-03-2009, 11:45 PM
I keep refilling the oil as it loses it..

Oh one other question I forgot to ask

If your familiar with the oil dipstick on the 91 integra.. are the circles at the end of the dipstick the oil level indicators
(For example the first circle means low oil and the top circle indicates full?)

Thanks

xtat1k
06-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Yep, the top circle is meant to be level your oil should be at.

Chriskoss
07-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Oh shit.. then its real low on oil, its on the first circle

Hope I didnt do any damage.. I'll refill it asap

vinnY
07-03-2009, 01:58 AM
don't go nuts refilling though, i believe the difference between the bottom and top mark is around the 1L mark or so

oil light should light up and go away just before you start the car though so thats okay
if it comes on while running then you have problems

best to jack the car up and look around the sump to see if you can find where the leak is coming from
for all you know it might just be a loose sump bolt or something

Chriskoss
07-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Thanks mate I'll try doing that and having a look.

There seems to be some damage where the oil is leaking from, the damage is in the plastic guard under the car so don't know what the deal is there...

Yeh the oil light only goes on briefly when starting up, and never when driving, so shouldn't be much of a problem then, thank god!

vinnY
07-03-2009, 02:04 AM
best to take a torch and flash it around the bay and see if you can see a source for a leak

if you've just bought the car it's probably a good idea to change fluids and give it a clean
if there's any leaks you should be able to find them pretty quickly and isolate what needs to be tightened/fixed

hopefully your leak is just a loose bolt or a worn seal from age and nothing really serious

ndeuro_
07-03-2009, 02:08 AM
i got oil leak in my euro =] i think its from my oil sandwhich plate lol. its like dripping wait its not even dripping LOL but i know im lossing oil

Chriskoss
07-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks Vinny I'll see what I can find.

ndeuro, that 'sandwhich plate' sounds like whats happening with my car, its like a little plastic plate under the car that has a hole in it and its losing oil from that spot

aaronng
07-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks Vinny I'll see what I can find.

ndeuro, that 'sandwhich plate' sounds like whats happening with my car, its like a little plastic plate under the car that has a hole in it and its losing oil from that spot

YOu might be leaking through the main seal. Get a workshop to check it out properly.

You don't have an oil sandwich plate. That is used to install aftermarket oil temperature and pressure sensors.

aaronng
07-03-2009, 11:26 AM
i got oil leak in my euro =] i think its from my oil sandwhich plate lol. its like dripping wait its not even dripping LOL but i know im lossing oil

Is it dripping from the sandwich plate o-ring or from the sensors?

ndeuro_
07-03-2009, 02:01 PM
i think its the oring