PDA

View Full Version : used springs

blingbling121
07-03-2009, 10:23 AM
hey guys, im looking at buying some used springs off another forum.

they have done roughly 40,000 ks in 6 years, so not alot

just wondering if they should be still good to use or if they'll be sagging or something?

kcokla
07-03-2009, 10:41 AM
should be fine, but u gotta understand what car it came off and what car is it going on,
if u can share this info would be useful too,

dpending on the weight of the car it will respond accordingly, and usually they take a few days to sag a little to its ' sitting' height.

blingbling121
07-03-2009, 10:52 AM
from an sp20 to an sp20

Dy_
07-03-2009, 11:01 AM
just look out for massive rust spots...if there isnt then it should be alright.

Type R Positive
07-03-2009, 07:39 PM
But since we are both Asian, I'll give you a great deal.

JohnL
08-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Make sure that the springs are captive when fitted to their dampers (at the intended ride height), which they might not be if they're sagged substantially. Even if the springs have sagged, they will still be at the same rate (or extremely close to it) as they were when new. The only exception to this might be if one spring were close to failing with cracks.

Surface rust shouldn't be an issue unless the metal is becoming substantially pitted.

You do want to ensure that they support the car equally at each side of the chassis, so check that each spring pair is at least very close to being the same free length (i.e. off the dampers), i.e. that both front springs are the same length as each other and that each rear spring matches the other rear spring.