PDA

View Full Version : New To Honda Civics - Help With Servicing.

Willo
07-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm new to Honda's and I have a 98' compliance plate but 97' built Civic Gli sedan.

After downloading the full service manual and bleeding the clutch I now have what sounds like a rubber squeak when depressing the clutch, any ideas.

Also I have a whistle type noise when I am at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle under load. When I give it more throttle the noise goes or when I use less.

Car is perfect only ever serviced by Honday dealer. I brought it at 70k km's and it has only just ticked over 100k after having it for about 2 1/2 years.

I only use Honda parts for the car... Anyone know of a cheap place to get trade on parts. I was using a guy in Melb but I think he is telling me crap about getting trade...

Cheers

Willo

MRGRIM
08-03-2009, 08:08 AM
try having a listern to your clutch pedal with your head under the dash push ut with your hand ..i had the same problem with myn it was the bush on the pedal arm that squeeks just a bit of lube fixed the problem.

re: the whisling noise it sounds like a vacuum leak have a good look under the bonnet for a loose hose also try this with the engine running and give it a rev to try and cause the noise while looking

re: parts where in melb are you ?? just to make it easyer for ppl to help..
also give an example of the things your being told ..

hope this helps

Willo
09-03-2009, 05:29 PM
try having a listern to your clutch pedal with your head under the dash push ut with your hand ..i had the same problem with myn it was the bush on the pedal arm that squeeks just a bit of lube fixed the problem.

re: the whisling noise it sounds like a vacuum leak have a good look under the bonnet for a loose hose also try this with the engine running and give it a rev to try and cause the noise while looking

re: parts where in melb are you ?? just to make it easyer for ppl to help..
also give an example of the things your being told ..

hope this helps

Thanks mate,

I'll have a look at the clutch pedal. I have looked under the bonnet very hard. It doesn't make the whistle when just revving the engine..

It sounds a bit like an older Magna TD I think they where, they had a funny sound under load but was normal..

I can't locate any loose vacuum hoses. Would a code show up if there was a loose hose???

EK1.6LCIV
09-03-2009, 06:28 PM
yea to get trade you usually have to be in a trade or buy large quantities of parts hey

mclovin
11-03-2009, 07:19 PM
yeah as above, check actual clutch pedal bush. had same prob in my EM1.

as for ur whistle, does ur car have a pod filter fitted? my car does and it makes a whistle under the same load conditions as u've described. otherwise, has the noise just started or has it been there for a while???

|N|
11-03-2009, 08:45 PM
whistle most likely from intake..

pop the bonnet and get someone to press the clutch for u frmo the inside... if its coming from near where ur header is... a quick fix would be spraying some silicon or lub in that area juts next to where u would normally bleed ur clutch fluid. but then it could also be signs of clutch on its way out...

Willo
15-03-2009, 02:05 PM
whistle most likely from intake..

pop the bonnet and get someone to press the clutch for u frmo the inside... if its coming from near where ur header is... a quick fix would be spraying some silicon or lub in that area juts next to where u would normally bleed ur clutch fluid. but then it could also be signs of clutch on its way out...

yeah as above, check actual clutch pedal bush. had same prob in my EM1.

as for ur whistle, does ur car have a pod filter fitted? my car does and it makes a whistle under the same load conditions as u've described. otherwise, has the noise just started or has it been there for a while???

Thanks Guys,

I don't have a pod filter. It started after I did 80k service, although I really only paid attention after that. I went back over everything I touched during the service and it all looked and felt okay.

I'd say it might be normal... If not any codes or other signs I could look for?

Ek4Vtir
15-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I have a wierd whistling sound aswell I think it might be the timeing belt but not sure..

mclovin
15-03-2009, 05:47 PM
did u change ur air filter element, and afterwards tighten everything back up like ur airbox.

a loose airbox can dramatically increase induction noise.

Willo
15-03-2009, 08:34 PM
did u change ur air filter element, and afterwards tighten everything back up like ur airbox.

a loose airbox can dramatically increase induction noise.
Thanks

Checked it, not loose.