PDA

View Full Version : d16Y power??

ABZY
24-10-2004, 09:44 PM
hey all, on sat there was a dyno day held down here, i thought i would put my car on there to see what it has only to get my ass kicked by a ignis sprot(80hp) and a mates tx3(92) i got a miserable 72hp, what i can't understand is that my mates tx3 comes out standard with about the same power as mine yet his pumps out more than mine.. so i was wondering if there was any1 on here who has got the d16y single cam vtec and has put it on the rollers, i could be wrong but i thought i would have had more than that, i only have basic mods, cat back exhaust, intake and pod.. all comments apprieciated

Weq
24-10-2004, 09:59 PM
i pulled 87hp with my SOHC completely stock. id say u could just need a tune up.. fuel/filter/plugs/airfilter would be a start.. chek out everything, if ur worried get a comp test done

FR33K
24-10-2004, 10:32 PM
those iginis sport things go surprisingly faster then i thought :P
had an encounter with one and it went alright..

imashy14u
25-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Like what Weq said, service your car. next time you go on the dyno and you want better power figures, service your car and put a tank of good petrol in.

Also, the gearing on the TX3 may be different to the civic, thus less power loss through the transmission.

Denchy
25-10-2004, 10:50 AM
What year was the TX3 coz ya gots to remember some of em had a snail hangin off them ;)

BTW I almost bought an ignis sport the only thing that stopped me from ditchin the Civic was the lack of space. they handle superbly for such a high ride height and have such a sweet note when ya wring its neck :D

sivic
25-10-2004, 03:55 PM
yeah but the turbo tx3 only had 100kw anyway. your car isn't atuo is it? if it is then there would no doubts as to why you got a low figure. but yeah, your car prob needs a tune/service. doesnt really mater if the ignis is quick, as this was a dyno event. they only have 83kw while the d16y is meant to have 96kw. i dont think difference in drive train loss (in a manual) would account for the difference in dyno reading

Denchy
25-10-2004, 04:14 PM
yeah but the turbo tx3 only had 100kw anyway. your car isn't atuo is it? if it is then there would no doubts as to why you got a low figure. but yeah, your car prob needs a tune/service. doesnt really mater if the ignis is quick, as this was a dyno event. they only have 83kw while the d16y is meant to have 96kw. i dont think difference in drive train loss (in a manual) would account for the difference in dyno reading

The SOHC vtec has 96kw, and the Y4 (cxi and Gli) has 87kw which variant do you have?

Denchy

ABZY
25-10-2004, 05:35 PM
nah its not a turbo, i wouldn't be as shattered if it was hahaha mines a vti, i had optimax with real good octane boost, oh yeah its a manual.. they did it in 4th gear, when i had my GTi dynoed they did in 3rd, wot gear did you have it done in?? its just really annoying cause i thought i would have at least gotten 90hp.. but hay the top side of the day is i got a free t-shirt and picked up that nite !!!!

Weq
25-10-2004, 08:19 PM
manual in 4th here.

sivic
26-10-2004, 12:35 AM
The SOHC vtec has 96kw, and the Y4 (cxi and Gli) has 87kw which variant do you have?

Denchy

i'm pretty oblivious to the Y's and Z's etc of D16's........ i just got my trusty ZC :)
but anyway, i thought he had SOHC VTEC as he asked if anyone else who had one had put it on rollers, hence looking for a comparison to his?

ABZY
26-10-2004, 04:50 PM
come on ppl theres gotta be more ppl on here who have had there civic dyno'd??? i need sum reasurance that the reading was wrong hahaha every1 down here is payin me out hahaha

egSi
26-10-2004, 04:54 PM
come on ppl theres gotta be more ppl on here who have had there civic dyno'd??? i need sum reasurance that the reading was wrong hahaha every1 down here is payin me out hahaha

payin u out? **** em man, ur car is pretty stock.

im gettin my car dynoed next week but it aint stock.

and i got si

ABZY
26-10-2004, 05:27 PM
yeah f*#k em, its just stressin cause drivin on the road it feels like its got more, cam (h22a accord) got 148.6hp they had it in 4th and hit speed limiter before it could rev out, the only two hondas of the day got jipped, i think there all jealous hahaha i think before next years i'll drop in a b16a and do a bit of work to it, show em the real honda power hahaha lets us know how ya go egSi...

egSi
26-10-2004, 05:34 PM
yeah f*#k em, its just stressin cause drivin on the road it feels like its got more, cam (h22a accord) got 148.6hp they had it in 4th and hit speed limiter before it could rev out, the only two hondas of the day got jipped, i think there all jealous hahaha i think before next years i'll drop in a b16a and do a bit of work to it, show em the real honda power hahaha lets us know how ya go egSi...

man d16s own, i dont wana start another argument but dont write off your d16 so quick, they have untapped potential ok.

keep an eye out for my results.

jords
26-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Speaking of Dynos, can anyone recommend anywhere in sydney to have it done?

SCRAPN
26-10-2004, 08:51 PM
all dynos are different and thus give different readouts....you might have a low reading on one dyno and get a higher reading on another dyno.... just depends how the dyno is setup....dont get too discouraged.

sivic
26-10-2004, 10:31 PM
yeah, but this was at a dyno day so it would have been done on the same dyno. you sure it wasnt done in 3rd? i pulled 86hp with fouled plugs when i put mine on (si). 146hp for a H22 Vtec is about right though so there is def something up with your car, or you got a botched run.

imashy14u
27-10-2004, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I agree with egSi. I've got an EK1 with a D16Y4 engine...stock it was pulling roughly 56kW ATW, slapped in a turbo with about 8Psi boost and I got 110kW ATW. That's 100% gain. That's not too bad.

But I had this guy saying that he expected more....dunno how much more he expected. basically he was talking sh#t. He claimed that he had an integra with a ZC engine and he put a turbo on with 14Psi boost and getting about 160kWS ATW, all this on stock internals. I think the guy was full of sh#t, so I didn't pay too much attention to him. What made it worse, this was on another forum, i was trying to sell my car and this guy hijacks my thread saying this sh#t.

Anyway, back to the matter (sorry, got a bit side tracked...hijacking your thread :o ), D16's definitely have alot of potential.

Jords, if you're in Sydney, go to a place called UniGroup, they're in Girraween (near blacktown). They're really good. The dyno guy, Yavus, used to work at Dyno Dynamics and has a uni degree in mechanical engineering (I went to uni with him :) ) For a simple power run I think they charge about $40. check them out on:

www.unigroup.com.au

Good Luck :)

ABZY
27-10-2004, 04:42 PM
yeah, i'm gunna give it a full service, i have a feeling it mite be the fuel flter, maybe, when you guys say untapped potential, what do u mean? like what exactly can u do to get good power out of it?

Denchy
27-10-2004, 05:05 PM
yeah, i'm gunna give it a full service, i have a feeling it mite be the fuel flter, maybe, when you guys say untapped potential, what do u mean? like what exactly can u do to get good power out of it?

I have a set of unorthodox racing (Thats the brand) underdrive pulleys I was knocking them for ages coz i thought they had buggered my a/c and p/s bearings but in the end it was the belt tensioner that had gone... silly me :o I dont know of many civics here in oz with em so I cant really discuss perfomance butI feel that they have given the D16y4 a real boost combined with Intake and exhaust. Remember Honda engines love lots of O2 and fuel.

Scotty

ABZY
27-10-2004, 05:10 PM
sweet as, how much did they set ya back??

sivic
28-10-2004, 12:39 AM
Remember Honda engines love lots of O2 and fuel.

he he, i think thats the case with most engines :D
but yeah those pulleys apparently make a big diff on the butt dyno due to the extra response they give, much like a lightened flywheel. all that stuff wont give much gains as far as dyno readings go, but that not whats important. you can only look at power figures but you can feel response :thumbsup:
besides fuel filter make sure your air filter is nice and clean. maybe check it on a dyno and get a sniffer in there to suss your air fuel ratios and make sure they are all good

ABZY
28-10-2004, 04:15 PM
yeah, my filter is brand new the day before i went on the dyno, it didn't blow any smoke what so ever while it was on there so i spose that gives a good indication that its runnin pretty sweet, now i know alot of u are against street racing but tinite i'm gunna race my mate in the laser (92hp) cause we've played around before and its fair even so i guess if i beat him it could be a sign that it was wrong, dunno.....

civic_ek
28-10-2004, 04:41 PM
hey i had my d16y4 non vtec dynoed a while ago,,, with cai, cat back, k&n filter i made 96 kwatt......... now i have extractors and high flow cat and a better air intake system.... and i have cleaned the head out and had teh car tunned alittle.... so id say id make about just over 100 kwatt now.. anyway every dyno will give a different reading so its hard to say

egSi
28-10-2004, 04:44 PM
yeah, my filter is brand new the day before i went on the dyno, it didn't blow any smoke what so ever while it was on there so i spose that gives a good indication that its runnin pretty sweet, now i know alot of u are against street racing but tinite i'm gunna race my mate in the laser (92hp) cause we've played around before and its fair even so i guess if i beat him it could be a sign that it was wrong, dunno.....

own him mofo ;)

STOCK
28-10-2004, 04:51 PM
dynos are nice for talking shit, disregard the readings.. for a true showing of how powerfull/fast your car is take it to the drags and get a timeslip.

imashy14u
28-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Hey Civic EK, are you sure you got 96kW :confused: ....considering that the engine puts out 88kW at the flywheel, your gearbox is actually gaining you power at the wheels??? :confused: Where did you get the gearbox? I want one :D

I think it was 96hp. Even 96hp is a bit high for a D16Y4. 96hp = 67kW

_Daniel
28-10-2004, 09:56 PM
I got my car dyno'd at teknik tuning in melbourne and reported 73kW at the wheels
its a D16Y4 with Intake, 2" cat back, 4-2-1 headers and VAFC tuned

ABZY
29-10-2004, 05:20 PM
hey all, we didn't end up racin, although we went for a drive in each others car, i think off the start he'd have me simply because of the extra and and bigger engine but i reakon over a longer distance i'd would be neck and neck... these fgures are makin me think that i should do more to my d16y5 rather than get a new engine, good works guys nice figures... _daniel are the VAFC's worth the money?? i was thinkin of gettin one???? and the ppl who have extractors wot brand and how much??? thanks for all the great replys...

_Daniel
29-10-2004, 05:24 PM
yes very worth it
even if you don't notice the power gains u'll deinfately notice the improvement in fuel economy

I found after the tune I had a better power band and smoother power delivery insteady of the peaky kick I used to get after 4000rpm

ABZY
29-10-2004, 05:32 PM
sweet dude, i'll look into one then and mite get stractors.. one question, is the VAFC like the rev speed metter where it shows yuor speed and power????

_Daniel
30-10-2004, 03:51 PM
it shows vtec engagement, throttle position, engine rpm, fuel pressure, fuel correction
and some other stuff, I can't remember
it also allows you to tune u'r air /fuel settings

civic_ek
30-10-2004, 04:32 PM
I think it was 96hp. Even 96hp is a bit high for a D16Y4. 96hp = 67kW[/QUOTE]
yeah soz i got 96 hp!!!! but the bloke who dynoed my car wouldnt rev it past 4 thou... he was a tool,,, coz he had a car blow up the day before and he said he dont rev teh cars as much any more so yeah its not a true figure

_Daniel
30-10-2004, 05:12 PM
67kW at the wheels without going past 4000 rpm seems awfully high?
at 4000 rpm I was only getting 45ish kW at the wheels
my power band pretty much starts at 4000 rpm

saboteur
30-10-2004, 05:26 PM
civic_ek have you got an aftermarket cam?

_Daniel
30-10-2004, 06:19 PM
dynos are nice for talking shit, disregard the readings.. for a true showing of how powerfull/fast your car is take it to the drags and get a timeslip.

thats a load of crap
there's more to a fast quarter time than engine power

u'r suspension setup, tyres, driver ability and many more factors come into it

if you're after an indication of how much power you're engine is making a reputable dyno is great

civic_ek
31-10-2004, 08:50 PM
nah i found out my tacho was set wrong.... i was doing 5700 rpm at 96 or sumfin like that... nah i dont have a cam but i wanna dyno it now since i put teh rest of my parts on... and what ecu and chip do i have to put on my car so i can keep my timming increased so it dont reset after one drive?? i have a d16y4 non vtec in a cxi hatch 98 model....my car was so much quicker when the fuel was tunned to it and the timming was increased 3.5 drgees....and u can tell the diff when it was tunned how and whats the easyest way to keep it tunned what do i need???? :confused: