PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike P's test

Gawdam
07-03-2009, 04:09 PM
So Times come for me to get my P's

Haven't had A lot of practice (few weeks of owning a bike) but have ridden bikes on and off for many years and got used to my bike A lot quicker than I thought I would, So I'm feeling sort of confident to sit it.

But after researching the RTA website as to what testing will be done,

This is all I could come up with:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/most.pdf

The RTA document only shows 'four' tests which are conducted.

Just wondering, do the people test you on other aspects which aren't shown in the RTA docs, or is that it?
Would you guys be able to post up your experiences, also things to watch out for?
Also, do they do a saftey check on your bike? Mine has a bit of damage here and there and an annoyingly loud exhaust which came with it, would they stop me from taking the test for things like that??

Cheers :D
Bil

Type R Positive
07-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I got opens straight away through Q-ride.
I would imagine test same as the car test.

an93l
07-03-2009, 09:01 PM
I did my P's yesterday and heres are my experiences

It's an 8hrs day made up of 4hrs practice, 2hrs breaks, 1hr on the road, 1hr test for P's

Safety checks:
NOTE: Every instructors is different some are anal some are understanding

As for my instructor he saw the damage of my bike but it was minor cracks and scratches so he doesn't care, my exhaust was loud but he was understanding as he knows some drivers doesnt look out for motobikes, all they check is do you hold a current L's license and your rego so they assume everything is roadworthy, also some instructor might check your tyres if they have trends left and tyres pressure.

The practice test they made it harder than the real test so you get to feel how its like example: U-turn is the worst nightmare for CBR's owner as most failed in this area due to the bike being sport the steering is very limited, I can't do this till the last minute luckily, in order to do this is to keep your revs up, use rear brakes and clutch and gear 1 - 2 max depends on you [This might or might not work on some people]

Next up is the road test this is where you go out the public roads and applied your everyday riding skills, the instructor will be behind you to observe if you can follow the road rules, here is what you need to watch out for is to make sure you always use headchecks when changing lanes, giveway signs and stop signs, use blinkers when turning left or right, stay 3 seconds apart and lastly when at a stop your right leg should always at the rear brakes and your left is on the ground, never put both legs down.

Now for the real test, the instructor will test you:

1. If you can do a lap within the lane and stop the front wheel of your bike in the white box

2. Can you go in and out the cone without knocking them down, dropped/stalled your bike or putting your foot down

3. If you can make a u-turn in the marked lines without going over it, putting your foot down or dropped/stalled your bike

4. 25km/hr down the strips and to brake as hard your can without going over or skid when doing emergency stopping

5. Lastly you be doing 25km/hr down the strips and try to weave right or left out the imaginary potholes then in again within the marked dots and without going too wide out.

Note: Remember to use head checks for each of them everytime you start off from a stop.
And you should pass

Goodluck

Gawdam
07-03-2009, 11:04 PM
awesome :D thanks for the help.
Yea the u turn is an absolute bitch... I don't think I've managed one without putting my leg down. :(

I never heard of the on road driving part .. should be sweet though, just fix up a few bad habits.

Yea my bikes mainly got scratches here and there, but there is a big crack on the font end going from end of the mirror to the windshield. Completely come off.
Don't know if it's worth replacing.. doesn't stop me from riding any different.

btw gratz on the pass :D:D

Type R Positive
08-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Now for the real test, the instructor will test you:

1. If you can do a lap within the lane and stop the front wheel of your bike in the white box

2. Can you go in and out the cone without knocking them down, dropped/stalled your bike or putting your foot down

3. If you can make a u-turn in the marked lines without going over it, putting your foot down or dropped/stalled your bike

4. 25km/hr down the strips and to brake as hard your can without going over or skid when doing emergency stopping

5. Lastly you be doing 25km/hr down the strips and try to weave right or left out the imaginary potholes then in again within the marked dots and without going too wide out.
I remember doing that stuff with Q-ride!

Our ride on the road was just a cruise through the hills of Cairns. We did our hill start then too.

RoNi_SiZe
08-03-2009, 09:28 AM

This is like 3 times harder than Victoria's P Test...

Vic:

1. Speed run through a corner - right then left, faster you do the LESS points you accrue (Less points is better)
2. Reaction test - drive up a lane @ 25 kms towards a light box, which will flash a command @ you pretty last minute. Will 'randomly' tell you to swerve left, right, or stop. This is repeated 4 times. It's not really random, every1 will get 2 emergency stops, 1 left, 1 right. The sooner you stop and the wider you swerve, the LESS points you accrue. (Less points is better)

Note: If you get an emergency brake, skidding & stalling IS allowed.

That's all. 10 minute test.

timizkool
18-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Practice your u-turns!!

Thats the hardest bit

Gawdam
20-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Got them today :-)

1/7 Passed others failed. 1 Accident during the test.
Pretty crazy group. Lol

I think I just got lucky though and didn't make any other mistakes after putting my foot down in the u-turn.

Future tip: Don't let the nerves get you. Think of it like practice. That's why most of the other guys failed.

Twincam16
20-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Damn!

Congrats thought! Looking forward to an OH ride day

corn_flakes
21-03-2009, 09:30 AM
holy crap 6 out of 7 ppl failed???

were they just n00bs who haven't had much practise? and just wanted to get their P's before june?

how did they fail anyway? and what was this accident? lol

lookingforboost
21-03-2009, 12:03 PM
yeah i failed on the u turn bit on my CBR so i had to do the last test agian so i did it on a 125CBR and passed easy as... its so easy to ride those tooth picks :P

Gawdam
21-03-2009, 12:24 PM
well I couldn't really say they were noobs. Like, I've only had my bike for 3 weeks and did 2-3 practice sessions and just scraped through. Where a majority had been riding for 5-6months. But nerves probably got the best of them.

1 guy just failed miserably. Stalled twice in the first test which was the 90degree left hand turn. Soooo that was a bit bad.. LOL
Was stalling throughout the day and all. Seemed as though he only just bought a bike like a day before the test, And was also going on about upgrading to a 1000cc speed triple or street triple or whatever they are O_o (Mature age rider). Not a good combination seeming as he couldn't ride a cbf250.

Others knocked over cones in the slalom and then also screwed the U-turn. No body really got passed that, most were sent home then and there.

The guy was riding a scooter and Slammed on his front breaks only in the emergency break test, and flipped it forward.. LOOOLLL
Like its bad, but hilarious when you think about it (he was fine afterwards).. ahahaha
good youtube video

There were a few 125cbr riders in the other group. I think they all passed they're tests, as they all went and sat back down..

glad it's over, and now that z1000 is only a year away. :-DDD

sifnt
24-03-2009, 01:44 PM
This is like 3 times harder than Victoria's P Test...

Vic:

1. Speed run through a corner - right then left, faster you do the LESS points you accrue (Less points is better)
2. Reaction test - drive up a lane @ 25 kms towards a light box, which will flash a command @ you pretty last minute. Will 'randomly' tell you to swerve left, right, or stop. This is repeated 4 times. It's not really random, every1 will get 2 emergency stops, 1 left, 1 right. The sooner you stop and the wider you swerve, the LESS points you accrue. (Less points is better)

Note: If you get an emergency brake, skidding & stalling IS allowed.

That's all. 10 minute test.

vic is always slower on your laws than nsw, cause we got the continously climbing number of accidents and reckless teens. but vic always catchs on soon after.

TALEB TYRES
25-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Just passed it today,
gotta say it is very easy to do if you practice a little, i headed to the Homebush setup for a couple hours earlier on during the week and that made things much easier, at least you know what to expect then.

We were a group of 6 for the day and we all passed, also had another 4 people come back for the retest and they all passed as well.

btw contrary to what the other guys in the group were saying, doing it on the CBR250RR was not hard at all. Did not lose any points and had plenty of room to spare on the u turn. (only 1 other guy did it on his ninja, the rest rented bikes for the day even though they had capable bikes)

lo0se3r
25-03-2009, 10:52 PM
congratz mate

going for mine in a few weeks

anything in particular to look out for?

TALEB TYRES
26-03-2009, 12:41 AM
thanks buddy,
i'd say head down to homebush and give the course there a go.
When you do the practice on the day its prepares you well, except the uturn, you only use the actual box when you do the test(during the day you just practise around some cones).
haha thats pretty much the only thing i practised outside as its known cbrs have a shit turning circle compared to others, gotta get the technique right, Ive still got the tape measure and chalk* in my bike from earlier(wasnt sure if it was marked well at homebush, it is.
take your time on it, theres no time limit so go your own pace, dont be afraid to get some speed for the last bits where you have to go at least 20km/h. the guy told us that the test is set for wet weather so theres plenty of room given.

theres an earlier post explaining exactly what goes on, i'd recomment NOT wearing a leather jacket for the day like i did, or at least wear a long sleeve shirt so you can take it off and ride if need be as the heat can really affect you man.
oh headchecks too, and dont be a stiff during the day, we were mucking around with the instructor all day, i think we spent more time telling our near death stories and comparing fines, than we did talking about the test! and come test time, we were still having a laugh so definately helps to have a good attitude, hopefully you'll get a good instructor like mine was. (aaron at clyde).

you gonna do it on a cbr as well? goodluck with it

lo0se3r
26-03-2009, 10:11 AM
yeh ive got the cbr but im thinking of renting the cb just in case, my mates got an across that i could get some access to so im unsure how well the turning circle on the across is, if its easier then the cbr ill just use that instead of renting

p's test on a suzuki across anyone?

an93l
27-03-2009, 06:39 PM
yeh ive got the cbr but im thinking of renting the cb just in case, my mates got an across that i could get some access to so im unsure how well the turning circle on the across is, if its easier then the cbr ill just use that instead of renting

p's test on a suzuki across anyone?

Well... to be honest with you, hopefully people will agree me on this, it's best to do it on the bike you have own it because you are more used to it, you know where the clutch fiction point is, how hard to apply the brakes, you feel more comfortable. Don't let the uturn gets to you, practice makes perfect and I'm sure you will pass

lo0se3r
28-03-2009, 09:44 AM
yeh no doubt but i ive known of many people still failing the uturn on their cbr after riding it for a while, i dont think its skill, i really think its nerves that get the best of you

ap
28-03-2009, 11:18 AM
hey mate did you do your test at 8:30 wednesday at clyde?

you were the one on the cbr??

thanks buddy,
i'd say head down to homebush and give the course there a go.
When you do the practice on the day its prepares you well, except the uturn, you only use the actual box when you do the test(during the day you just practise around some cones).
haha thats pretty much the only thing i practised outside as its known cbrs have a shit turning circle compared to others, gotta get the technique right, Ive still got the tape measure and chalk* in my bike from earlier(wasnt sure if it was marked well at homebush, it is.
take your time on it, theres no time limit so go your own pace, dont be afraid to get some speed for the last bits where you have to go at least 20km/h. the guy told us that the test is set for wet weather so theres plenty of room given.

theres an earlier post explaining exactly what goes on, i'd recomment NOT wearing a leather jacket for the day like i did, or at least wear a long sleeve shirt so you can take it off and ride if need be as the heat can really affect you man.
oh headchecks too, and dont be a stiff during the day, we were mucking around with the instructor all day, i think we spent more time telling our near death stories and comparing fines, than we did talking about the test! and come test time, we were still having a laugh so definately helps to have a good attitude, hopefully you'll get a good instructor like mine was. (aaron at clyde).

you gonna do it on a cbr as well? goodluck with it

TALEB TYRES
28-03-2009, 12:23 PM
haha ye, im guessing you had the dc2?

hooyn
29-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I got opens straight away through Q-ride.
I would imagine test same as the car test.

did you have any prior riding xp?

im thinking of doing mine with some mates during the easter break

i was told that the two day course is developed for the complete novice with absolutely no prior riding xp.

but is this true or just a way to trick people lol

corn_flakes
29-03-2009, 09:21 PM
where's this practise area in homebush you are talking of? :)

lo0se3r
30-03-2009, 10:53 AM
where's this practise area in homebush you are talking of? :)

its on a closed road on bennalong drive (i think its "drive") just ride down and on the side you should see barriers, ride thought the little gap and its there, people have left markings on the road. If you go with net rider or something (on weds) they have people coming out with cones and they stand there marking and giving you tips.

Gawdam
03-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Well... to be honest with you, hopefully people will agree me on this, it's best to do it on the bike you have own it because you are more used to it, you know where the clutch fiction point is, how hard to apply the brakes, you feel more comfortable.

+1 :thumbsup:
I say better off making 1 mistake (u-turn) then potentially screwing up other things aswell, on a bike your not used to.

Otherwise, should be fine.

Gawdam
03-04-2009, 10:48 AM
check this out.
Thought it was interesting, and partially relevant to our tests we take.
this guy makes sh!t look easy. haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTO2s7wyrFs

lo0se3r
03-04-2009, 04:00 PM
**** thats control!!

Psy
10-09-2009, 11:13 PM
I guess the following link will be useful to people wanting to do the P test as it shows on how they are with video.

http://www.wheel-skills.com.au/RTA-motorcycle-operator-skills-test-MOST

Twincam16
10-09-2009, 11:57 PM
I guess the following link will be useful to people wanting to do the P test as it shows on how they are with video.

http://www.wheel-skills.com.au/RTA-motorcycle-operator-skills-test-MOST

Good info!