PDA

View Full Version : Advancing Timing.

lil_foy
08-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering how much people usually advance their timing safely on their vtir integra's when they use 98 octane.

Thanks

98vtir
09-03-2009, 12:44 PM
by timing do you mean the VTEC crossover? I don't reckon you'd need to till you start pumping a higher volume of air/fuel in being its already optimised for what its running. Since the engines tell you to run 95 octane or higher, 3 points of octane is bugger all, I constantly run BP ultimate and when I've had to run a 95 octane fuel I can't say I notice a difference. I may be wrong about this, I'm no expert, or knowledgeable on the matter :P

trism
09-03-2009, 12:49 PM
no, timing is timing.

vtec crossover is vtec crossover

you say youre not knowledgable, but yet you are correcting him? lol.

you could probably advance the timing degress or so, but wouldnt really feel that much of a difference, if any at all

dsp26
09-03-2009, 12:56 PM
on the dyno on 98oct... going from 14* to 18* had a difference of 2-4wkw at peak and less on the lower end... but this was on a b16... the characteristic of the curve will be the same for any car, actual gains and losses will vary.

gain some and lose elsewhere. can post dyno sheet for proof if needed.

***EDIT***
lol trism, i always read your username as "tryst" dunno why :p

lil_foy
09-03-2009, 04:48 PM
98vtir I know what im talking about, id rather have a rough estimate so I don't cause pinging straight up.

Trism thats exactly what im changing. Im advancing my ignition timing so I optimise the fuel I am using.

Thank you dsp26, rep'd.

98vtir
09-03-2009, 05:43 PM
haha nah not correcting just all I wrote after the first sentence was presupposing that he did mean crossover since it is the noob forum. ;P thanks for the feedback.

p.s. i do feel silly haha

dsp26
09-03-2009, 07:37 PM
^^^i did that before coz i still don't know where the marking pin is on the block of the b16a. This was when i was testing ignition components and playing with the afpr.

i really don't recommend this though as most people won't really know what it feels on the pedal and sounds like.

i remember the ramps at westfield carparks, there was this one volvo pinging it's **** off on the way up.. it was running really rough (very old volvo)