PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Problems FD Civic

rossSmith1950
09-03-2009, 07:02 AM
I have noticed with my 2008 Civic, when it is loaded with four adults that the suspension bottoms out and gets quiet uncomfortable sitting in the back seat. Is there longer or stiffer springs that can be fitted.
I also took my car back to the dealer to get the front door adjusted he informed me that the clutch has to be replaced due to shuddering and the engine berrings replaced with oversized ones due to noisy berrings.
I'm a bit disappointed with the car as I thought Honda had better quality record than this but relieved that the dealer brought my attention to these problems and will fix them.

MKI4EVA
09-03-2009, 09:24 AM
How heavy are the passengers.......I've got an 07sports and thats never happened.

gerard
09-03-2009, 04:50 PM
How heavy are the passengers.......I've got an 07sports and thats never happened.

No Issues with mine as well. '07 Sport.
Damn unusual for you to have bearing problems. Perhaps exerbated by the juddering clutch but then again, clutch judder may be due to oil leaks from the bearing seal.

rossSmith1950
09-03-2009, 06:08 PM

Just 3 passengers and a boot full of camping gear, ( not that heavy ) the 2008 Corolla had no problems. Even with four adults the suspension will bottom out on a undulating road it seems like I need stiffer or longer springs.
Also I was told that replacing noisy berrings is quiet common with the Civic and my dealer has done a few, he said it wouldn't hurt driving the car like it is for ever but Honda likes to fix this problem as it doesn't meet their quality control. A pity they didn't do it in the factory when new not now at 10,000klm's

brokenback
12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I have noticed with my 2008 Civic, when it is loaded with four adults that the suspension bottoms out and gets quiet uncomfortable sitting in the back seat.

I've noticed this as well with 2 adults & 2 kids in the car. And..yes my older corolla (2002 ver) didn't have this issue.

I think it's spring rate & suspension is not made for Aussie fat arses.

rossSmith1950
12-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I've noticed this as well with 2 adults & 2 kids in the car. And..yes my older corolla (2002 ver) didn't have this issue.

I think it's spring rate & suspension is not made for Aussie fat arses.

Yes your probably right but they must have a different spring setup in the Sports model which doesn't suffer the same problem. It's a pity Honda Australia didn't do their homework bit better and installed stiffer springs for Aussie conditions.
My car is in at the dealers having the engine bearings replaced due to noise, they are being replaced with oversized ones. Apparently the Thialand built Honda's suffer this problem so I was told by a member on the 8th generation honda forum ( http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/ ).
My clutch is being replaced also, not bad for a car 3 months old my faith in Thialand built Civic's has faded a bit this last week.