PDA

View Full Version : Foglights, Honda Warranty, Certified Autoelectrician and recommendations

philip_pc
09-03-2009, 07:34 PM
i ordered a pair of foglights (non OEM) for my FD1 and they should be arriving sometime this week, its the type of lights that turns on with the button, no chalk stick. My question is how will it affect my warranty (if it does) and how would i go abouts getting it installed? my friends dad is a mechanic and his son (so friends brother) is a car enthusiast (preludes to be specific).
they said they are able to wire these lights up for me at a mates rate. Do i need to have a certified electrician wire these up for me in order to not affect warranty? or can it be done through my friends dad. i read a post on this forum saying that as long as you dont re-route the OEM wires it should be fine....i not too sure but when these types of lights are installed does it require re-routing or just generally opening up the factory cable and drawing some power from there?
"IF" these need to be done by a certified autoelectrician in order to not void the warranty can anyone recommend me one somewhere in sydney? or possible if anyone on the forum is on hehehehe.

philip_pc
10-03-2009, 09:02 AM
what if the lights were wired up straight to the battery instead of the fuse under the driver coloumn?

philip_pc
10-03-2009, 05:25 PM
lights just arrived today, anyone?

geeang
10-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I think your warranty will be void regardless of who you have it installed by, best to read all the manuals that come with the car. It will probably only be valid if you have a Honda OEM foglight kit installed by Honda as an option.

If your foglights have a proper switch and fuses then wiring them up to the battery should be fine, if they don't then you'd need to splice in to some standard light wires.

philip_pc
10-03-2009, 06:12 PM
yes it does come with a fuse, 30A i think it is. i was just opening all the wires out and it seems like no splicing is required, i'll confirm that with my friends dad first though, looks like a typical kit thats just wired to the battery.

philip_pc
17-03-2009, 11:27 AM
got them installed, friends brother said the wiring that came with the fogs looked kinda dodgy so he made his own relay instead, drawing power straight from the battery without going into the cars original circuit. works sweet =)
only thing i gotta keep in mind is to remember to turn them off cause their not like the headlights how if you open the door with the lights on the car will make a beeping noise.

flipfire
17-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Good to hear... but your gonna be push starting your car if you leave them on by accident

I sometimes hit my fog light button with my knee accidentally and dont even notice its on (daytime) but lucky it turns off along with the car.

philip_pc
17-03-2009, 02:59 PM
yeah i know there are downsides to not wiring them into the car but i guess i'll just have to be more careful not to leave them on.