PDA

View Full Version : help with installing coilovers

jyh888
09-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I just bought a set of buddyclub n+ coilovers from jdmyard today, apparently its the last set and next shipment will be 10% more expensive due to exchage rates :S

Im trying to install them but finding a bit of difficulty, can someone give me a brief guide, and where are the shocks mounted to onthe rear? does the seats or anything need to be removed??

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thx

paps02
09-03-2009, 09:28 PM
check diy. i know there is a thread for installing civic coilovers. how much different can it be.

racerwannabe
09-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Might be a bit late now but if you can get Benjamin to do it! Reasonably priced and all done in an hour and a bit..save urself the trouble...otherwise do a bit of search online for instructions. Goodluck

integral90
09-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Might be a bit late now but if you can get Benjamin to do it! Reasonably priced and all done in an hour and a bit..save urself the trouble...otherwise do a bit of search online for instructions. Goodluck

+1, he does good work!

Or the other option is you could just give up because it's difficult and sell them to me :wave:

stephen8512
09-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Or if you're in sydney, head down to PRO CONCEPT in west ryde

PRO CONCEPT
1A Mellor St, West Ryde NSW 2114
9807 4488

Ask for Josh. They installed/uninstalled my coilovers when I had my euro and Josh is VERY particular with his work. A+

jyh888
09-03-2009, 10:39 PM
doing it right now with the laptop on waiting hoping for some help lol, managed to get the front right in so far

does anyone know if the rears are any harder? and still cant find the mounting points? do the speakers or seats needto be removed?? thats my main concern right now, finding out what to remove in order to install rear coilovers...

thx guys

defibros
09-03-2009, 10:44 PM
i think FelixD is pretty good with install buddyclub N + maybe good to ask him for some pics or advise.

aaronng
09-03-2009, 10:46 PM
The side bolsters on the rear seat need to be removed. They are held on by a 10mm bolt on the bottom inside the section where the bolster meets the seat base. Put your fingers in the gap and feel around.

stephen8512
09-03-2009, 10:49 PM
If I can give you some advice.
I reckon wait till tomorrow when it's light out...ive worked at night on my car with torches and all the rest of it too and yeah, it's hard work....but hey, if ur keen, then go for it....
I just think that its 11:50pm now and it's better that u get some rest now, wait for the replies to somewhat flood in on this thread and then do it tomorrow bright and early.....

jyh888
09-03-2009, 11:39 PM
this is insane work, i wonder who managed to diy this mod themselves....argh!! yea ill wait for some for posts and try in daylight but thanks guys for all ur info, really appreciate it.

felixd
10-03-2009, 12:12 AM
i can help u gimme PM :D thx

Bo0o0ost
10-03-2009, 07:47 PM
I installed mine npz, Msg me and we can work something out ;)

jyh888
16-03-2009, 10:19 PM
thanks guys for your help. ive finally installed the coilovers and so far so good, but its way too low for sydney driving, i scrape like hell over bumps. Right now its about 13cm clearance from the ground, jus wondering how low others are running? i can almost fit one finger between the guard but barely. And for the ppl running buddyclub n+, what settings for damper give best comfort?

Crapdaz
17-03-2009, 06:17 AM
thanks guys for your help. ive finally installed the coilovers and so far so good, but its way too low for sydney driving, i scrape like hell over bumps. Right now its about 13cm clearance from the ground, jus wondering how low others are running? i can almost fit one finger between the guard but barely. And for the ppl running buddyclub n+, what settings for damper give best comfort?

Tein Monoflex
Front - 0.5-1 finger gap; 9-10cm from the ground

Rear - 0 finger gap

For buddyclub N+ you can run mid range around 10ish and would still be comfy.
What setting did you put yours at? Give 10-7 a go and see how you like it and start from that.

aaronng
17-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Front - 2 finger gap
Rear - 1 finger gap

Crapdaz
17-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Front - 2 finger gap
Rear - 1 finger gap

Is your rear set on the lowest it can go?

aaronng
17-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Is your rear set on the lowest it can go?

Nope, it shouldn't be.

crunkman99
17-03-2009, 01:47 PM
i got racing logic coilovers and sit 6 cm off the back and no gap at the front wheels, and 8 cm clearance

Crapdaz
17-03-2009, 02:00 PM
i got racing logic coilovers and sit 6 cm off the back and no gap at the front wheels, and 8 cm clearance
6cm from rear lip spoiler to the ground?

that is really low and you would get stuck easily if that is true.

.QD
17-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Tight one finger gap all round. I think mines 12cm from the ground, thats measuring from the chassis rail.

Front is 10 and rear is 7 clicks. Sports comfy :) Could probably do 12f/10r.

Crapdaz
17-03-2009, 02:40 PM
hey chris,

Batemans bay - set it to the hardest and take me for a spin.
and i will the same for U

.QD
17-03-2009, 02:49 PM
cbf removing the sides panels to adjust the rear.... and you monoflex is stiff no matter what setting. lol.

Crapdaz
17-03-2009, 02:51 PM
i will remove them for you buddy!

remind me to bring 1mm ring spanner or open end

jyh888
17-03-2009, 07:42 PM
im riding on stiffest setting atm and its actually not too bad, but jus potholes and small bumps annoy the hell out of you.

Well right now theres almost no gap between the guard, front and rear, so i think i might need to raise it slightly, u guys think 1cm or 2cm will do the job??

and does it make sense to have the front slightly lower than the rear? since the care is front wheel or do most of you jus hav same height all round??

Looking forward to your comments :D

thanks guys

akina
17-03-2009, 10:21 PM
im riding on stiffest setting atm and its actually not too bad, but jus potholes and small bumps annoy the hell out of you.

Well right now theres almost no gap between the guard, front and rear, so i think i might need to raise it slightly, u guys think 1cm or 2cm will do the job??

and does it make sense to have the front slightly lower than the rear? since the care is front wheel or do most of you jus hav same height all round??

Looking forward to your comments :D

thanks guys

You should set the damper to the middle setting and wait for the suspension to settle before you put it to the stiffest.

Actually, it doesn't have to be. The most correct way is to lower either the front or rear to your liking first then measure how far off the ground you are from the bottom of the car and match that with either the front or rear that you haven't done.

Crapdaz
18-03-2009, 07:47 AM
even then you cna't because you need to let the spring adjust to the setting first so thrash it around then go back and measure it.
if you lower evenly all round then you get the weight distributed evenly, if you lower front the front will be heavier and so forth if rear is lower.

.QD
18-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Dont you need to set the coil-overs to the middle setting first until it settles?

Crapdaz
18-03-2009, 10:44 AM
yeah you do but i am talking about lowering it by changing ride height afterwards, still takes maybe a drive before it settles again once you change it.