PDA

View Full Version : A guide of genuine and replica wheels

noobie90
09-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I need help from the wise minds of this forum.. what are some of the most common genuine and replica wheels?? (Can you put it into a list.) How do you tell them apart?

MikeyG
10-03-2009, 11:28 AM
look for made in japan. and you can tell from rims which is fake n which is real.. the real deal ones are better texture looks wise.. plus they are expensive.. if u see volk rims for 2 dollars i bet thats fake mate

flipfire
10-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Volks replicas will say VORKS & RAVS engineering.

Crapdaz
10-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Volks replicas will say VORKS & RAVS engineering.
not if you don't stick the stickers on... :p
+1 though for volk/RAYS replicas.... most common you'll see around are TE37 replicas...

Genuine will have JWL and VIA imprinted on the inner.
Genuine will have stickers around the inner side of the rim too where sizing sticker is.
If brand new then normally the rims should have the tag attached to the wheel with Brand warranty on it.

Bludger
10-03-2009, 05:39 PM
look for made in japan. and you can tell from rims which is fake n which is real.. the real deal ones are better texture looks wise.. plus they are expensive.. if u see volk rims for 2 dollars i bet thats fake matelmfao

this is neg rep for sure

lmao

expensive

lmao

noobie90
10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh i see. I've seen a lot of the TE37 but they all seem the same to me. are there any other brands???

DreadAngel
10-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Most of the popular JDM manufacturers have been replicated, Rays (which includes Volks Racing, Gram Lights, 57 Motorsport), Works, Enkei and I think Weds...

Rota have replicated these as have other lesser known manufacturers...

tiksie
10-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Replicas ftw. lulz.

Here are my TE37 reps with no gay stickers:

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp167/tiksie/DSC00689.jpg

noobie90
10-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Where did you buy them and where can i find brand new genuine ones in sydney?

tiksie
10-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I got them off someone on OzHonda.

Genuine TE37's are hard to find in 4x100.

Wait, what car are you putting them on ?

geeang
10-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Where did you buy them and where can i find brand new genuine ones in sydney?

For genuine in Sydney contact EG5 (JDMyard Trader on these forums).

For replicas in Sydney contact FEL12X (Race Nation Trader on these forums).

noobie90
10-03-2009, 07:34 PM
maybe on a ek or a dc

garagedefend
11-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Just incase here's some differences in the original and the rota ones ( I guess I would know as I'm in the land theyre made lol) I'm sure there are other brands but these are the ones I know about.

Spoon SW388 = rota slipstream :difference on it apart from being glossy black is the lug nut holders have extra holes running along the cup as opposed to just 1 set of either 4 or 5 holes. The spokes on them have a little dip on the lip whereas I belive the original ones didnt.

original Sw http://www.tokyo-express.co.uk/spoon/sw388.jpg

Rota slipstream http://www.streetdreamznyc.com/images/rota_slipstream.jpg

Volk TE37 = Rota Grid ( I think) the real ones have rounded ends for the spokes while the rota's ones just go straight onto the ends

Real ones in 4x114.3
http://icbmotorsport.com/Wheels3/Volk_TE37_SCM.jpg

gen 1 rota grid
http://www.rotawheels.ca/images/Rota-Grid-StlGreyPolLip.jpg

In sizes 16 and up they have the rounded spoke but it still looks different
http://www.potn.co.uk/watermark1~POTN~images/rota/GRID_WHITE.jpg

SSR type x = rota auto X
SSR type x's usually come in either white, machined silver or black/red or blue lip while the rota is usually just shiny silver. Ofcourse someone could just replace it and then the tell tale sign would be brandings and weight

Type x
http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com/f/10210870/htup_0807_01_z+ssr_type_x_four_spoke_wheel_with_re d_lip_on_honda.jpg

Rota auto X
http://www.rotawheels.com/images/products/autox_1.jpg

Advan model 5 = rota battle : spokes are slightly different and the cup for the lugs look different too
avs
http://www.fizzautosports.com/images/forum/Advan/model5.jpg

battle
http://www.rotawheels.com/images/products/battle_1.jpg

theres a few more copies there like copies of work meisters, work equip and other ssr rims.

Hope this helps! I'd post more but I might end up cluttering the page with nonesense lol

noobie90
11-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the post it actually helps.

garagedefend
11-03-2009, 08:22 PM
No worries. Got a few more I'll probably put up later. just gotta check the info I know lol

noobie90
11-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Cool thanks in advance.

chargeR
11-03-2009, 09:07 PM
To make it a little easier I thought I would go through all Rota wheels that I know are replicas and list what they are a replica of. Pics of the Rotas can be found on the Rota product page LINK (http://www.rotawheels.com/wheelcatalog.asp). If you are interested in a particular design I can show pics to tell the difference between real and replica. Some of the designs are a little generic so it is hard to claim that they are exact replicas.

Auto X - SSR Type X
Battle - Advan AVS Model 5
Boost - Advan RG II
Circuit 10 - Mugen MF10
Circuit 8 - Mugen MF8
D2 - SSR Professor SP1/Work Meister
Fighter - Volk Racing CE28NF
Flashback - Work Equip 03
Grid - Volk Racing TE37
Group N - Mugen RNR
GT-3 - GAB Sports
J-MAG - Mugen M7
J-SPL - Work RSZ-R
MGM - Mugen XJ
Optimus - Gram Lights 57Optimise
P45F - Nismo LM
P45R - Nismo LM/Uras NS-01
RB - Panasport FS
Real Lite - Gram Lights 57Maximum
SDR - Prodrive GC07
SDX - Mugen GP
Slipstream - Spoon SW388/Desmond Regamaster
Speed 5 - SSR Firenze
Subzero - Racing Hart CP-035
SVN - Volk Racing RE30
Torque - Work Emotion CR Kai
Track R - Sprint Hart CP-R
Vector - Work Emotion XT7

If you disagree with any of these let me know.

finalazy
11-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Replicas ftw. lulz.

Here are my TE37 reps with no gay stickers:

no offense but imo they still look ugly and fake. real ones arent multistud looking and usually dont have polished lips

To make it a little easier I thought I would go through all Rota wheels that I know are replicas and list what they are a replica of. Pics of the Rotas can be found on the Rota product page LINK (http://www.rotawheels.com/wheelcatalog.asp). If you are interested in a particular design I can show pics to tell the difference between real and replica. Some of the designs are a little generic so it is hard to claim that they are exact replicas.

Auto X - SSR Type X
Battle - Advan AVS Model 5
Boost - Advan RG II
Circuit 10 - Mugen MF10
Circuit 8 - Mugen MF8
D2 - SSR Professor SP1/Work Meister
Fighter - Volk Racing CE28NF
Flashback - Work Equip 03
Grid - Volk Racing TE37
Group N - Mugen RNR
GT-3 - GAB Sports
J-MAG - Mugen M7
J-SPL - Work RSZ-R
MGM - Mugen XJ
Optimus - Gram Lights 57Optimise
P45F - Nismo LM
P45R - Nismo LM/Uras NS-01
RB - Panasport FS
Real Lite - Gram Lights 57Maximum
SDR - Prodrive GC07
SDX - Mugen GP
Slipstream - Spoon SW388/Desmond Regamaster
Speed 5 - SSR Firenze
Subzero - Racing Hart CP-035
SVN - Volk Racing RE30
Torque - Work Emotion CR Kai
Track R - Sprint Hart CP-R
Vector - Work Emotion XT7

If you disagree with any of these let me know.

repped :thumbsup:

EK1.6LCIV
12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
I love the TE37 reps, nice ones in black Im eyeing

zimmy83
12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
hey guys where can i get the replicas in sydney den??like the WORK emotion cr kai ones...

EK1.6LCIV
12-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Ed sells them on Max Honda power

they look as good as the real deal, and if you're fussed they sell real deal stickers all the tme for them :D

chargeR
12-03-2009, 11:12 AM
no offense but imo they still look ugly and fake. real ones arent multistud looking and usually dont have polished lips

repped :thumbsup:

Thanks :). There are a quite a few other Rotas that are very reminiscent of other designs but not quite close enough to be replicas and a few that I can't quite remember the name of the genuine article.

Also the above list is not intended to allow people to pick up cheap replicas of wheels that they like, it is intended to illustrate how pathetic Rota Wheels is as a company, and to help make people aware of how prevalent crappy replica wheels are.

Here are some more replica manufacturers. These lists are not exhaustive, as there are some wheels that I am sure are replicas but I am not sure of the original.

Replica - Original

Drag
DR-16 - GAB Sports
DR-17 - 5Zigen FN01R-C
DR-20 - Work Equip 03
DR-21 - Enkei RPF1
DR-24 - Work RSZ-R
DR-25 - 5Zigen GN+
DR-26 - SSR Star Formula
DR-27 - Mugen M7
DR-28 - Panasport G7-C8S/Minilite multipiece
DR-29 - Mugen MF10
DR-30 - SSR SP2R
DR-9 - Volk Racing CE28N

Lenso
AD1 - SSR Vienna Kriess
BLITZ - Work Emotion XT7
BSX - BBS RS
DC5 - Dunlop RSC
GC2 - Advan RG II
LS2S - SSR Professor VF1
Morphix - Mugen MR-5
MUSE - Advan AVS Model 5
MW - Mugen NR
NX - Volk Racing TE37 Cup
REIZEN - Racing Hart CR
RC2 - Advan RG II
SHU - SSR Schumacher
VE - Volk Racing TE37
VIENA/WORK/WORK2 - SSR Vienna Courage/Work VS-KF
ZEON - Volk Racing CE28N

XXR Sportmaxx
513 - Panasport FS/G7-C8R
002 - RS Watanabe GR-8
501 - SSR Star Formula (There is a another wheel that is quite similar also but I can't remember what it is)

they look as good as the real deal, and if you're fussed they sell real deal stickers all the tme for them :D

No :thumbdwn:.

EK1.6LCIV
12-03-2009, 11:26 AM
lol, I could fool most with the copies my bud has gotten in

the weight is near same unless you got out the digital scale on some...

we had a volk wheel once not balance right and the one spoke was heavier than the others, they make shit wheels at times, I'd never bother with one...

markoJEK1
12-03-2009, 01:23 PM
How the hell could you tell that 1 spoke on the rim was heavier than the rest?

EK1.6LCIV
12-03-2009, 04:47 PM
How the hell could you tell that 1 spoke on the rim was heavier than the rest?

the amount of 'balancing' required on the one side, it was obvious after 15mins that the japs and their 'superior' engineering didnt forge the wheel properly in their construction stage...

like every country no company is perfect...

my mate wasnt a happy camper if he wasnt such a baller he'd be fumed off more...

markoJEK1
12-03-2009, 05:43 PM
every wheel has a slight heavier side, but what makes it even worse is the shitty brand tyres, they can be a big factor when it comes to balancing, especially if the heaviest side of the rim meets the heaviest side of the tyre when fitted, so to say a 'spoke' is heaviest is a poor diagnosis

Killa From Manila
12-03-2009, 06:13 PM
its normally the tyre that is unbalanced isnt it? thats why when u buy tyres they have markings on them distinguishing heavier/lighter side so u can match it up with the correct side of the wheel

markoJEK1
12-03-2009, 06:18 PM
well both are unbalanced theortically, then its down to the desginer of the rim to distribute the weight, and for the tyre manufacturer to create a good design thats evenly balanced. like mentioned shit tyres = less evenly balanced, and yes they do have markings on some saying where the heavy spot is

Bludger
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
its normally the tyre that is unbalanced isnt it? thats why when u buy tyres they have markings on them distinguishing heavier/lighter side so u can match it up with the correct side of the wheelincorrect.

its to do with tread direction

90LAN
12-03-2009, 06:39 PM
the amount of 'balancing' required on the one side, it was obvious after 15mins that the japs and their 'superior' engineering didnt forge the wheel properly in their construction stage...

my mate wasnt a happy camper if he wasnt such a baller he'd be fumed off more...

thats aload of bullshit
rays wheels have quality assurance and they dont sell if it doesnt pass
it is checked by a computer to .xxx of tolerances
then it gets its qa and jwa sticker stamped on it
look on youtube the manufacturing process u will see why u pay a premium for rays wheels

Bludger
12-03-2009, 06:49 PM

my mate wasnt a happy camper if he wasnt such a baller he'd be fumed off more...more often than not, its the tire thats out of balance.

not the wheel.

a lot of your posts are just mythical knowledge created by your brain

lmao

Killa From Manila
12-03-2009, 07:02 PM
incorrect.

its to do with tread direction

ehh...not the arrow molded on it..but the painted lines, dots or markings or watever it has that is on the actual tread

Bludger
12-03-2009, 07:04 PM
thats to do with batches and stock reference.

Killa From Manila
12-03-2009, 07:12 PM
pretty sure tyres also have a coloured marking on them to show the lightest/heaviest spot to aid with balancing

Bludger
12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
well then, its unknown to me.

need others to confirm this

markoJEK1
13-03-2009, 07:19 AM
On some tyres they do mark it to identify the heaviest spot on the tread, have come across it

zco
13-03-2009, 08:38 AM
lol, I could fool most with the copies my bud has gotten in

the weight is near same unless you got out the digital scale on some...

we had a volk wheel once not balance right and the one spoke was heavier than the others, they make shit wheels at times, I'd never bother with one...

if the wheel has been repaired, than that would be the issue i reckon

EK1.6LCIV
13-03-2009, 09:41 AM
lol, even Simmons will dish outa bad wheel now and again and you pay for them as well

Japs like other places have had lemons off the production line before... sif ppl expect them to be perfect, there's always a tolerance for error...

EK1.6LCIV
13-03-2009, 09:45 AM
more often than not, its the tire thats out of balance.

not the wheel.

a lot of your posts are just mythical knowledge created by your brain

lmao

lol, the tyres were not at fault, you think my mate running 800hp in his JZA80 would cheap out

alot of your posts are constant garbage/spam and unhelpful at the best of times...

barefootbonzai
13-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Japs like other places have had lemons off the production line before... sif ppl expect them to be perfect, there's always a tolerance for error...

that's where you're wrong. unlike the cheap shitty stuff, they have standards that they need to pass or they wouldn't sell it. And that's what you pay for.

It's all cool, if you can't afford to buy the real deal, no one is telling you too. Just don't be saying that they are the same, anyone who thinks that, should have gotten a hyundai instead of a honda.

As for "wheel balancing"... it's generally for the tyres, not the rims.

EK1.6LCIV
13-03-2009, 11:03 AM
post youtube vid Lan, I cant watch it at work unless its posted here :D

I still dont believe any workshop is perfect, even the gear weve got made with cnc laser had a tolerance in the 1/2mm range

VTECMACHINE
13-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Replica wheels fail.

Bludger
13-03-2009, 01:01 PM
lol, the tyres were not at fault, you think my mate running 800hp in his JZA80 would cheap out

alot of your posts are constant garbage/spam and unhelpful at the best of times...mines clean cut.

I have 2 personalities. A spam one and a serious one. You can clearly tell the difference between the two types of posts.

Yourself however, are a spammer and trying to be serious all in one.:)

I reckon you're just like that FAG "kongfu". Only redemption for you is that the shit that comes from him is 100% pure compressed shit. Where as a lot of your posts contain some actual fact. But you still get a lot of shit come out.:)

hows your car???

any updates?

EK1.6LCIV
13-03-2009, 01:41 PM
mines clean cut.

I have 2 personalities. A spam one and a serious one. You can clearly tell the difference between the two types of posts.

Yourself however, are a spammer and trying to be serious all in one.:)

I reckon you're just like that FAG "kongfu". Only redemption for you is that the shit that comes from him is 100% pure compressed shit. Where as a lot of your posts contain some actual fact. But you still get a lot of shit come out.:)

hows your car???

any updates?

The car is fine, wants to be Red or Purple, still cant decide, and wheels in a bit

and some 12000k HIDs, to shit off this Porsche owner down the road that annoys me, lol, and to see up the hills even better

if the gf had it her way she'd sell it for another Nissan to take over my house :p lol

least with my Honda I have a chance for the grease to get off my hands, but her project is a diff story, lol

VT-11-RR
13-03-2009, 01:50 PM
where do u find replica rims at???

any website in particular?

EK1.6LCIV
13-03-2009, 01:53 PM
NSW is king when it comes to reppin the replicas

I just shop stores there and ship them here, heaps cheaper than QLD, good deals on tyres down there compared to here

found some very awesome rep of TE37s in a great colour other than white (no offence but whites a pain in the rear to clean) and in a good size and offset in 4x100 :D

VT-11-RR
13-03-2009, 01:59 PM
NSW is king when it comes to reppin the replicas

I just shop stores there and ship them here, heaps cheaper than QLD, good deals on tyres down there compared to here

found some very awesome rep of TE37s in a great colour other than white (no offence but whites a pain in the rear to clean) and in a good size and offset in 4x100 :D

online stores??
share the link...

EK1.6LCIV
13-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Ive always got good help from tempetyres over the yrs, good company

the others down there are random guys who pop up every blue moon with a container full for stuff from overseas, cheap wheels usually come up

90LAN
13-03-2009, 09:56 PM
post youtube vid Lan, I cant watch it at work unless its posted here :D

I still dont believe any workshop is perfect, even the gear weve got made with cnc laser had a tolerance in the 1/2mm range

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Armx02_R7Y0
this will open your eyes ryan

robcig
22-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Guys, apologies for the noob question, and yes I understand these are fakes. Does anyone have an opinion on these rims?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271139079099?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3730wt_1005

Killa From Manila
22-06-2013, 10:27 PM
yeah, why would u want to rock fake inferior shit??

simmy
23-06-2013, 12:21 AM
yeah, why would u want to rock fake inferior shit??

Yeahnah

Baby Face
23-06-2013, 09:14 PM
you can find out about fake wheels anywhere, theres a reason the legit ones are over thousands.

still it costs just as much to put tyres on cheaper,weaker wheels.

the only difference is how much it costs, initially, and then in repairs after they shatter off the studs and you come crashing down onto the ground with your brake disc and suspension.
imho not worth it. get a wheel that meets JWL, even second hand is better.

mocchi
23-06-2013, 09:23 PM
fake wheels > genuine.
why pay more for same thing

cbauto
25-06-2013, 12:16 PM
fake wheels > genuine.
why pay more for same thing

Daily - rock fakes. No one wants to steal them, gutter rash etc.

Weekend/hardpark - real deal

Racecar - real deal. Because racecar

Renaissance_x
25-06-2013, 12:33 PM
you can find out about fake wheels anywhere, theres a reason the legit ones are over thousands.

still it costs just as much to put tyres on cheaper,weaker wheels.

the only difference is how much it costs, initially, and then in repairs after they shatter off the studs and you come crashing down onto the ground with your brake disc and suspension.
imho not worth it. get a wheel that meets JWL, even second hand is better.

You do know that most oem wheels also shatter?

Baby Face
25-06-2013, 03:55 PM
well anything will shatter with enough force, just that honda OEM ones will withstand more than many fake ass wheels.

curtis265
25-06-2013, 04:57 PM
well anything will shatter with enough force, just that honda OEM ones will withstand more than many fake ass wheels.

would be interested to see which wheel can withstand more.

Baby Face
25-06-2013, 06:38 PM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/FCUK-YOUR-FAKE-WHEELS/196439080421957
great horror images.

PPL that use fake wheels on hondas are only further tarnishing Hondas tuning scene.

do us all a favour and dont be a ricer.

Baby Face
25-06-2013, 06:42 PM
http://collision.honda.com/wheel-video#.UZGqA5PDDQT

Daveho1
25-06-2013, 06:45 PM
there is a middle ground like the enkei rpf1 I rock, they where under 1200 delivered yeah they are cheap but they are good well tested wheels that have been known to take a hit ok

Baby Face
25-06-2013, 06:57 PM
love enkei rpf1, very good choice.

it costs as much to put tyres on fake wheels as it does to put them on real ones, it costs as much to ship fake wheels - if not more due to weight - as it does to ship real ones.
so why spend all that money there and then not on getting the decent/legit part.

Daveho1
26-06-2013, 05:53 AM
^^ rep for dis guy

Darmanin
26-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Hey besides the Rpf1 are there anymore decent wheels for around $1000?

Baby Face
26-06-2013, 06:44 PM
second hand? yeh tonnes.

Brand new?
limited but there are some.

Some of the buddy club ones can be had quite inexpensively.
Mine are buddy club and i have hit some curbs (shame) but they held up great.
they have BuddyClub Japan punched on them and JWL

Darmanin
26-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Yeh I want brand new. Looking to get a new set soon. Don't want to take a risk with second hand ones, you don't know their history. I want quality too so im going to try avoid Rota etc.

So Rpf1's, Buddyclubs, anything else.

How about these advans?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-ADVAN-RS-Brilliant-Silver-17-4x100-or-4x114-3-Alloy-Sport-Rims-Mags-Wheels-/271128986294?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f208c02b6

Baby Face
26-06-2013, 11:57 PM
not original, says they have taken inspiration from the originals. and made like originals.
but they arent originals.
Advans are gonna be 2.5k+ depending on size.

Darmanin
27-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Yeh thought so. Any other good rims for around $1000

curtis265
27-06-2013, 04:50 PM
second hand? yeh tonnes.

Brand new?
limited but there are some.

Some of the buddy club ones can be had quite inexpensively.
Mine are buddy club and i have hit some curbs (shame) but they held up great.
they have BuddyClub Japan punched on them and JWL

do you mean kerbing your wheels or drifting into a kerb o.0

Baby Face
28-06-2013, 12:41 AM
do you mean kerbing your wheels or drifting into a kerb o.0

i was drifiting in my FWD honda man, i think they call it understeer.

JK, there was a pedastrian island that stuck into the intersection and i was sitting too low/not paying enough attention to see it.
so i turned right and didnt notice it then it went into a blind area - it was a high curb but a very small island maybe only 30cmx30cm round

amant02
28-06-2013, 04:24 AM
My recommendations, I'm going through same thing. Small budget, but want something new and genuine.

http://www.jdmyard.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=94_119&product_id=380

http://www.jdmyard.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=51_121_153&product_id=578

http://www.jdmconcept.com.au/part/work/emotion-cr-kiwami-ultimate-set

I leaning towards the cr kiwami. But ill see how the pocket feel after my holiday next week.

I think that enkie is the way to go, nice old school look. Without sticking out of guard too much.

Daveho1
28-06-2013, 06:03 AM
i would have a chat to jdm wheel imports (trader on here) he was a pleasure to deal with and has access to many catalogues.