PDA

View Full Version : Cambering front wheels VIP style

[ IV 23 VI ]
10-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Please delete,

geeang
10-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Ride shouldn't be shakie if it's properly aligned to run straight and true.

It will obviously be less grippy if you run so much camber that the contact patch of your tires is reduced.

You would be getting alot more 'camber wear' so you'd go through tires alot quicker than normal, noone can tell you how quick you'd go through tyres though because it depends on how much you drive/your style of driving/etc. etc.

Will be considered defective if a cop deems the reduced contact patch unsafe for the road.

Resarch more about camber kits suited to your car.

JohnL
11-03-2009, 05:29 AM
Why on earth would anyone want to do such an utterly foolish thing??? Not only will the tyres wear quickly, the handling will be very poor, and it will look absurd...

[ IV 23 VI ]
11-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Why on earth would anyone want to do such an utterly foolish thing??? Not only will the tyres wear quickly, the handling will be very poor, and it will look absurd...

Hi JohnL,

Please dont post here if you have nothing informative to the questions I have asked.

Thanks.

[ IV 23 VI ]
11-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Ride shouldn't be shakie if it's properly aligned to run straight and true.

It will obviously be less grippy if you run so much camber that the contact patch of your tires is reduced.

You would be getting alot more 'camber wear' so you'd go through tires alot quicker than normal, noone can tell you how quick you'd go through tyres though because it depends on how much you drive/your style of driving/etc. etc.

Will be considered defective if a cop deems the reduced contact patch unsafe for the road.

Resarch more about camber kits suited to your car.

Thanks geeang!

Cheers.

DLO01
11-03-2009, 06:42 AM
I think JohnL is very informative.

For a show car yes, but for a road going car, I think its pretty stupid. You could be running big tyres, but effectively you'll have grip like a bicycle tire.

If setup up well, the ride should be fine.

You can't but a 'Time' on tyre wear, it really depends on how many Km's you do. With excessive camber. You'd probably get a couple thousand kms out of them MAX ???

Defective. Not sure, but it should be, for the safety of you and others on the road.

chargeR
11-03-2009, 08:13 AM
How much camber are we talking about here? I wouldn't go beyond 6 degrees for a street car, even that amount is probably significantly affecting the safety and handling of the car. It shouldn't really affect the general drivability of the car though as long as the alignment is done correctly.

I have -5, daily driven, 20,000km + on one set of RE001.

[ IV 23 VI ]
11-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys for the info!

Much appreciated!

So is a -5 camber on the front a very noticeable angle to the eye?

vinnY
11-03-2009, 01:30 PM
http://badcopnodonuts.com/wp-content/uploads/dsc07843.JPG
that's about -8degrees apparently at the rear

STiR
11-03-2009, 02:43 PM
;2163708']Thanks guys for the info!

Much appreciated!

So is a -5 camber on the front a very noticeable angle to the eye?

-5 degrees is very noticeable. I'd be surprised if that pic posted above is more than -5 degrees.

euro_tr4sh
11-03-2009, 08:56 PM
the only reason you see it on the jap vip cars is to tuck the low ass offset rims under the gaurds, or the photos you'v seen the car is on bags, layed out, so its gonna look like it has a heap of camber... if your just doin it for looks, your a clown, and a poser, i went and got a rear camber kit for my 04 euro.... to dial "out" all the camber, if its not needed, dont have it, its not a race car, its not going to improve your handling through corners, and i doubt you have 10" wide rims with a single digit offset, you just gonna chew tyres and make your car handle like ass...

[ IV 23 VI ]
11-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Sorry euro_trash but I do have 10" wide rims on my car,

And I know what vip style is.

And even if I was doing it partly for looks whats it too you?

Its not your car!

Also why say crap like me being a clown and a poser?

keep your critisism to yourself please.

[ IV 23 VI ]
11-03-2009, 10:13 PM
The rear wheels on my car are already sitting like that aristo in the photo, apart from that car having hippari, ( undersized tires) on that car.

euro_tr4sh
11-03-2009, 11:18 PM
pics or its not true :)

[ IV 23 VI ]
12-03-2009, 06:18 AM
hahaha,

Do a search and you should find my pics under 7th gen Accord pics.

JohnL
12-03-2009, 07:45 AM
;2163445']Hi JohnL,

Please dont post here if you have nothing informative to the questions I have asked.

Thanks.

I said; "Not only will the tyres wear quickly, the handling will be very poor, and it will look absurd..."

That is informative (though absurdity is in the eyes of the beholder), just not what you want to hear.

Now I see that you also have what (I assume from you're description) are dangerously stretched sidewalls (not made OK by giving it a pretentious Japanese derived title), so it seems that you're intent on spending a relatively large sum of money building a death trap.

This would be OK if the only person your car will be putting at risk were yourself, but unfortunately it will also be a hazard to other road users, anyone who unsuspectingly rides in it, and to anyone who may in ignorance purchase it from you at a later date.

This sort of thing is exactly the reason why there are laws limiting what are and are not considered acceptable modifications for road registered cars, and why engineers certificates are required for many. If you put 5-6° of camber and "hippari" on your car (and I suspect 'slam' it etc etc...), then for your sake and that of other innocent parties, I certainly hope that your car is defected by the powers that be, as it should be...

I have nothing against modded cars (mine has a number of mods), but please be sensible about what you do, not everything is OK just because you happen to find it fetishistically appealing...

zco
12-03-2009, 08:34 AM
JohnL, man of wise words..
+1

JohnL
12-03-2009, 08:35 AM
How much camber are we talking about here? I wouldn't go beyond 6 degrees for a street car, even that amount is probably significantly affecting the safety and handling of the car. It shouldn't really affect the general drivability of the car though as long as the alignment is done correctly.

3° neg is a lot of camber for a road car, especially one with wider / lower profile tyres run at higher psi. Note that even very high performance 'supercars' don't use nearly this much camber.

A definite problem with excessive camber (especially in the front), is that it can reduce braking performance significantly. In reality, the only cars that corner better with substantial neg camber settings are those fitted with relatively inferior suspension designs such Mac struts (not those with well designed and sorted double wishbones), and / or those that suffer from substantial body roll.

Just because some relatively softly sprung Mac strut suspended racing sedans use large camber angles (e.g. V8 Supercars) doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing for cars with superior suspension geometry (e.g. many Hondas), and relatively little body roll.

Keep in mind that FWD cars rely heavily on traction from both front wheels, but that excessive neg camber means the IF contact patch can become very small and ineffective when factors affecting IF camber are taken into account, i.e. static neg camber + effective camber gain due to body roll.

Better to use larger caster angles (rather than larger static neg camber) because caster generates steered neg camber gain at the OF and steered pos camber gain at the IF (camber changes with steered angle of the wheel), bot of which are good for cornering grip (as long as steered camber doesn't become excessive when added to any static camber), but doesn't compromise the contact patches when braking.

Sorry, this is getting totally off the point of this thread, which is camber used soley for subjective appearances regardless of any other minor consideration such as roadholding etc...

JohnL
12-03-2009, 08:40 AM
http://badcopnodonuts.com/wp-content/uploads/dsc07843.JPG
that's about -8degrees apparently at the rear

That car looks like the suspension has broken. I suppose in effect, it has been deliberately broken by it's owner...

euro_tr4sh
12-03-2009, 09:18 AM
first off, nice car... looks hot, but your camber is nothing compared to that aristo... it judging by the offset on the dtx's, theyre not 10" wide, you'd be having some major clearance issues with your shocks'coilsovers if they were

[ IV 23 VI ]
12-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks JohnL for the in-depth view on safty issue's with excessive camber but its sumthing that I will still go ahead with,

Euro08Jaz
12-03-2009, 10:14 AM
sorry wasnt able to find photos to your car, could you link me?

[ IV 23 VI ]
12-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Euro_tr4sh

ok may not be as much as the aristo but if you seen it on the street its pretty cambered, I dont know how many degrees?

And yes my DTX's are 10 inch wide on the back,

I dont have a low offset,

I am running +45 offset on the rear to make them fit,

I have a 5mm spacer on the rear at the moment with rolled guards, but I am planning on putting a larger spacer on the car and pumping the gaurds to get more clearance.

The fronts are 8.5" with a +37 offset, but theres no problem there with clearance, I just want it to match the rear and have a meaner stance.

And thanks for the comment on the looks of my car, Im trying my best!

Cheers guys!

[ IV 23 VI ]
12-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Euro08jaz
here you go
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85132&page=2

teaseR
12-03-2009, 10:59 AM
;2165253']The rear wheels on my car are already sitting like that aristo in the photo, apart from that car having hippari, ( undersized tires) on that car.

;2165785']

ok may not be as much as the aristo but if you seen it on the street its pretty cambered, I dont know how many degrees?

contradicting urself.
not even close to the aristo.
compare to this euro urs looks stock

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75312&highlight=euro

[ IV 23 VI ]
12-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Photos dont do it justice,

Yeah and his car is on airbags,

put my car that low on airbags and that will look stock then!

Dreams
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
nice car [ IV 23 VI ], glad u got the dtx, compare to the cromies you had

[ IV 23 VI ]
12-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks Dreams,

Yeah the chromies were killing me,

Jap wheels are the best!

The Trafficstar range is so sexy imo

JohnL
12-03-2009, 12:03 PM
;2165756']but its sumthing that I will still go ahead with,

Please drive it very slowly...

[ IV 23 VI ]
12-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Please drive it very slowly...

I will,

Thanks JohnL.

Can I ask JohnL do you know much about suspensions?

Do you know if a Accord euro set of coilovers will bolt straight into My model Accord V6?

As I would rather buy a set of 2nd hand coilovers for half the price, but the only problem is they are all for the Accord euro!

Any help appreciated.

Euro08Jaz
12-03-2009, 06:38 PM
The Accord looks like it was really meant to be VIP, so i like where your going with this, but you really would be sacrificing ride quality on a luxurious car.

[ IV 23 VI ]
12-03-2009, 10:33 PM
The Accord looks like it was really meant to be VIP, so i like where your going with this, but you really would be sacrificing ride quality on a luxurious car.

I agree with you about the VIP looks this is not meant to be a racer, Thanks buddy, Yeah pitty about the ride quality though there is not really any other way around it when doing these type of mods. :(

euro_tr4sh
13-03-2009, 07:03 PM
should post up some different pics cos its hard to see the level of camber in those pics... that and i want to perve at your car some more :P i really wanted a normal accord, but couldnt find one i liked in my price range, so ended up with a euro, still happy though, a friend/customer of mine has a 7th gen, white, wald lip kit, black w/ polish lip 20" lowenhart lc1's, soooooo hot, gl with the car!

ps- sorry for the clown/poser comments, traffic star = baller :)

[ IV 23 VI ]
13-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks euro_tr4sh,

Yeah I have trouble taking a good pic of anything, hahaha

I find the Euro a bit more expensive than the Accord, were u looking for a modded 1?

I think I know the Accord your talking about,

Was that the 1 from Perth as i hace seen pics of one from there with black lc1 lowenharts but it had a mugen kit?

I think the plares were DNY

I looked at getting the wald lip kit imported aswell from Thailand but changed my mind to the modulo at the last minute, which I brought from Malaysia.

Trafficstar = Baller, hahahaha

I will try and post better pics of the camber over the weekend,

Cheers

55EXX
13-03-2009, 07:27 PM
do it man. don't let one hater get you down cos there is a hundred more behind that one waiting to have a shot. do it for you. then you'll gain the respect from the niche crowd that matters to you.

i've always wanted to hit up a eg hatch vip. cream with gold pearl bagged on killer dish and gold 100 spoke centres.

now on the real. camber is not what matters with driveability toe is the key. 0 front and rear all the way. contact patch is near zero so bye grip. but if my old charade had 145/75/14 this can't be any worse

quick question? this your daily? i hope is not a daily. or your should have some deeps pockets ready for tyres......... but at the end of the day, as anyone that has invested alot of money into their ride would say. ITS WORTH IT!

pics

euro_tr4sh
13-03-2009, 10:58 PM
;2169282']Thanks euro_tr4sh,

Yeah I have trouble taking a good pic of anything, hahaha

I find the Euro a bit more expensive than the Accord, were u looking for a modded 1?

I think I know the Accord your talking about,

Was that the 1 from Perth as i hace seen pics of one from there with black lc1 lowenharts but it had a mugen kit?

I think the plares were DNY

I looked at getting the wald lip kit imported aswell from Thailand but changed my mind to the modulo at the last minute, which I brought from Malaysia.

Trafficstar = Baller, hahahaha

I will try and post better pics of the camber over the weekend,

Cheers

yeh man, thats the one... the kits a wald... i did the stereo in it and the kit was also ordered through my place of work at the time, i trying to convince my mate into getting an accord, but im gonna stop i think cos im probably gonna sell my euro and get one i think!

[ IV 23 VI ]
14-03-2009, 10:27 PM
55WXX Thanks for the support, I will do what I have planned and like you said some will love it and some will hate it , but as everyone knows as long as I love it thats all that matters.

hahaha,

I will post new pics as the build continues.

cheers

[ IV 23 VI ]
14-03-2009, 10:32 PM
hahahaha euro_tr4sh,

I must say I love the stero install in that Accord,

I want to do mine the same as that in the boot, it looks very clean!!

Great work!!

Isnt that Accord up for sale or has it already sold?

I seen it on car sales a few months back, asking over 30K,

Ask him if he wants to sell me his D2's to me if he still has it.

Yeah it would be good if you get a Accord as theres too many Euro's around there like taxis in sydney theres that many of them. (dont get me wrong I still love them),

Cheers