PDA

View Full Version : Should it be a VTI Jazz or Swift?

huhjared
10-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi guys, hope i dont get really bias stuff here but i am thinking of getting either a jazz or a swift which one would you recommend? Looking at it i am willing to spend around 13K which would get me either a 04vti or a 06 swift...:confused:

kongfu
10-03-2009, 11:13 PM
swift just too girly look and less spacious for me.

i pick jazz for sure.

GTI-Jazz
11-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi guys, hope i dont get really bias stuff here but i am thinking of getting either a jazz or a swift which one would you recommend? Looking at it i am willing to spend around 13K which would get me either a 04vti or a 06 swift...:confused:

If you want a lot of space - The Jazz. Can't speak for that particular model, but the new one has plenty of it. Space was one criteria on our list, so we went with the GE Jazz.

Are you looking for an Auto & Manual?

If you're after a more nimble car, and aren't concerned with boot space, the Swift is a much for fun car to drive. I enjoyed the test drives of the Swift. Much sharper handling, much less body roll (compared to the GE that is). Sure, people are going to say if you drop coin on new suspension and sways, it would rock, but I'm keeping this OEM.

Both are equally expensive when it comes to repair work. Worth noting.

In the looks department, a 06 Swift looks MUCH less girly than a 04 Jazz. I personally never liked the look of the early Jazz. The Swifts mini-cooper-esque styling is quite nice.

My 2 cents. No bias as I don't personally own either.

huhjared
11-03-2009, 01:02 AM
If you want a lot of space - The Jazz. Can't speak for that particular model, but the new one has plenty of it. Space was one criteria on our list, so we went with the GE Jazz.

Are you looking for an Auto & Manual?

If you're after a more nimble car, and aren't concerned with boot space, the Swift is a much for fun car to drive. I enjoyed the test drives of the Swift. Much sharper handling, much less body roll (compared to the GE that is). Sure, people are going to say if you drop coin on new suspension and sways, it would rock, but I'm keeping this OEM.

Both are equally expensive when it comes to repair work. Worth noting.

In the looks department, a 06 Swift looks MUCH less girly than a 04 Jazz. I personally never liked the look of the early Jazz. The Swifts mini-cooper-esque styling is quite nice.

My 2 cents. No bias as I don't personally own either.

Looking at getting a manual...

rossw
11-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Jazz definitely has more room. The thing that really clinched it for me is no Suzuki dealer where I live. I know someone with a Swift Sport who is very happy, but that's a bit more Exxy (and faster). His other car is a Falcon XR8.

Have you also considered Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta? Apparently nice to drive but not enough space for me.

This months Wheels Magazine has a comparo between Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2, Honda Jazz, and Toyota Yaris. Had mostly good things to say about all of them except the Yaris, which is strangely the biggest seller of the lot.

The same magazine rated the Suzuki Swift their top "Sensible choice", and the only thing that kept the Jazz out of the final tier of Wheels COTY was the lack of stability control.

And then there's Hyundai Getz. Actually, no. No there isn't :)

UNLS1
11-03-2009, 08:54 AM
jazz looks more girly than swift any day.

if u want room go the jazz

mars_panas
11-03-2009, 09:03 AM
go for the Jazz

FitRS
11-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Jazz for sure. Much more utility and space. The 80 degree rear doors alone are extremely useful.

Swift is way too pussie.

guilinpan
11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
same here

swift just too girly look and less spacious for me.

i pick jazz for sure.

JOhnnyFD
11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
heaps of mods out there for jazz.. if ur a modding enthusiast

kongfu
11-03-2009, 06:04 PM

+1 another strong point here:D

bc143
11-03-2009, 06:12 PM
as all of us here would suggest u buying jazz for space-wise n the magic seat config!!.
esp you r buying manual so there will be no CVT issue.
only let down is the steeeeeering of jazz it's realllly woooooden no feeling at all while swift give u a normal ( quite active ) feeling what a steering would be.
and also the ride is a bit choppy in jazz. could be too strong spring for such a light car.
so depends on your taste. i still find swift girlier then jazz. i have a black 06 vti-s

rossw
11-03-2009, 06:53 PM

It's Japanese. Of course there are heaps of mods. If it's Japanese, someone has made ricer bits for it.

JOhnnyFD
11-03-2009, 11:03 PM
touche

NB: there are heaps more mods for jazz than the FD civics

rossw
12-03-2009, 07:29 AM
touche

NB: there are heaps more mods for jazz than the FD civics

True, I exaggerate a bit perhaps.:angel:

13-03-2009, 11:23 PM
swift have turbo kits .... :D~~~ but Ge jazz doenst :(
both car is great interm of performance and reliability

but its you won preferences ... for me suzuki not up to standard compare to honda although they made heaps cool car like monster pike takajima escudo ;)

yourfather
13-03-2009, 11:37 PM
try a mitsubishi colt

SiR CRX
14-03-2009, 12:01 AM
swift have turbo kits .... :D~~~ but Ge jazz doenst :(
both car is great interm of performance and reliability

but its you won preferences ... for me suzuki not up to standard compare to honda although they made heaps cool car like monster pike takajima escudo ;)

Yeah get a Swift turbo kit which will have you running 17's down the quarter. Wait wut?

A guy on here owns a Swift turbo and he wants to get back into a Honda. I think that answers your question :)

BTW I think Top Fuel do a turbo kit for the Jazz :thumbsup:

kongfu
14-03-2009, 12:37 AM
no turbo kit for GE Jazz yet, HKS,T1R,Top fuel,greddy got turbo kit for GD Jazz.

gmonkey
14-03-2009, 02:10 AM
Swift = I like the car, it's nice looking, but i went and looked at them before i got my car and i found they were very over priced for what it is.. i went there thinking suzuki was going to be cheap like the old swifts were.. then was very dissapointed with the interior, the one i looked at its boot space is was very bad it has a raised boot with underneath cabin thingos, which were removeable but still no comparasion to the jazz

Colt = Blind spots i found were quite bad, seat quality was dull, plastic everywhere and test drove it and was very gutless. Sorry yourfather if this offends ya but thats what i felt driving it :P (could be worse could be a getz :P)

I got my 04 jazz vti-s for $13.5k, completly stock with 45000 kms on it. It was the most practical car in the price range i found, comfy, cheap to run and had enough get up and go for me.. im trying not to be bias, but thats the way i saw these cars in my mind.. :P

yourfather
14-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Colt = Blind spots i found were quite bad, seat quality was dull, plastic everywhere and test drove it and was very gutless. Sorry yourfather if this offends ya but thats what i felt driving it :P (could be worse could be a getz :P)

Colt is DOHC Mivec and is faster off the line than you may think. It has more power than the 1.5 litres in its class

Blind spots are only at the rear pillars.

Look to be honest, I got the colt mainly because it has so much room inside that I can fit in there.

I'm 6'7" and 115kg and it fits me and my wife and our new puppy easily...

Plus there's a new Evo X styled colt coming out soon.

rossw
14-03-2009, 09:17 AM
It has more power than the 1.5 litres in its class

I don't know where you got that idea from.

Mitsubishi Colt 1.5 77 kW 141 Nm
Honda Jazz 1.5 88 kW 145 Nm
Toyota Yaris 80 kW 141 Nm
Suzuki Swift 74 kW 133 Nm
Hyundai Getz 78 KW 144Nm
Ford Fiesta 88 kW 152 Nm
(Source: Wheels Magazine)

Look, don't get me wrong. The Colt was on my list too. If I wanted an auto, I'd have found the CVT pretty attractive, having driven and liked a CVT Lancer. The things that ruled it out before I even drove it were:

1. No centre lap/sash seatbelt (Not good enough when I occasionally do have centre seat passenger)
2. Spacesaver spare wheel
3. Interior space not quite as much as Jazz
4. Less power
5. Seat folding mechanism fiddlier and harder to use.

Now of course to you these things didn't matter, but to me they were enough to put me in a Jazz instead.

Yes I paid more. To some, the issues I noted are not worth the extra, but to me they were. That's why there are so many models on the market.

If I had more money to spend and wanted something sportier, I'd have looked very closely at the Colt Ralliart:D

yourfather
14-03-2009, 10:07 AM
um, dude, the 88kw jazz is 5k more in sticker price, it's in a different price class. It's 33% more expensive on sticker price too, and i've never had more than 4 passengers in my car

anyway, I didnt mean to say power, my bad... too early heh

its fuel economy for a 1.5 is superior.

i'd rather pay 15K + onroads and then have 11kw less and 5,000 more aussie dollars in my back pocket compared to 19,980 + onroads.

I looked at the 1.3 GD3 or whatever it is and the interior was just as plasticy and it was painful on my knees because of the centre console.

have none of these issues in the colt. and my friends like the fact that the rear seats recline airliner style...

rossw
14-03-2009, 12:46 PM
um, dude, the 88kw jazz is 5k more in sticker price, it's in a different price class. It's 33% more expensive on sticker price too, and i've never had more than 4 passengers in my car

anyway, I didnt mean to say power, my bad... too early heh

its fuel economy for a 1.5 is superior.

i'd rather pay 15K + onroads and then have 11kw less and 5,000 more aussie dollars in my back pocket compared to 19,980 + onroads.

I looked at the 1.3 GD3 or whatever it is and the interior was just as plasticy and it was painful on my knees because of the centre console.

have none of these issues in the colt. and my friends like the fact that the rear seats recline airliner style...

Well, like I said, to each his own.:wave:

That's kind of the same rationale I used in striking the VW Polo off my list.

Plus quality, reliability, etc.

It's true that the Colt is more in the same league as the Kia Rio, Hyundai Getz, Proton Satria price wise rather than Toyota Yaris, Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2. To be honest, if I was limited to that former group, I'd have picked the Colt too.

The up front price difference didn't matter to me because I'm leasing. Over three years, the Colt and the Jazz come out about the same because of depreciation. If I were paying cash and keeping it for ten years, I'd have looked harder at the Colt.

I must say the lack of centre console would be a plus for the long legged. Did you get the CVT?

yourfather
14-03-2009, 02:32 PM
no got the 5 speed manual.

I just liked the fact it had a 5 year warranty and 10 year on gearbox and motor.

its actually my wifes car once she gets to Australia and we'll probably keep it until it dies.

TBH, It's Japanese made, good economy, curtain airbags.

I don't think the Yaris or the Mazda are any more special than the Colt.... TBH...

Seriously, it was either the 1.3 manual white jazz or the 1.5 manual white colt, and I was able to get a better trade in at the mitsubishi dealership and a lower driveaway price.

kleo
14-03-2009, 02:47 PM
i found the jazz really easy to drive and has a lot of room.

with the swift, the boot is sooo cramp you won't believe it.

looks wise - the swift turbo or sth looks heaps nicer than a jazz.

colt - when it first came out, i thought it looked so cute. but never really driven one so i can't really give any input on it.

yourfather
14-03-2009, 03:30 PM
you can drive it next time i bring it to a meet?

SiReal
14-03-2009, 05:36 PM
I sat in this white colt and i was suprised how quick it was. certainly faster than an EG5 VTi modded!~ *suprised*

it has reclinable rear seats (Awesome!) and a pretty good stock sound system.

I think mitsu have done very well in the past few years in getting their cars 'consumer' friendly again.

The old honda jazz looks as boring as bat shit however the new one looks great!

SiR CRX
14-03-2009, 06:16 PM
We used to have a Colt ES and tbh I really enjoyed driving it. Was nice and zippy, had a good gearbox, was comfortable for me (6'1" tall) and had plenty of room. I was sad to see it go when my dad traded it on a new Kia Cerato, which btw, is a piece of shit.