PDA

View Full Version : Problem - Possible Gearbox

SuiJin
11-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Well I've hit a problem, when i'm driving normally its fairly alright, abit rough however if i decide to give alittle push to the peddals to rev the engine harder the engine seems to cease return to 0rev and slow the whole car down, unless i swap gears. When swapping between gears the rev meter will bounce however this isn't a true display of the actual rev that the engine is running. (imho - this might be a gripping problem with the clutch and fly. unsure assumption).

If anyone in Victoria want to give it a go at solving this problem be my guest. Recently did a frontyard engine swap with a change in timing belt, waterpump, all oils, all belts. haven't done the rest.

I was told it maybe caused by the coils being fried in the dizzy.

the engine's a d16y1 - recently swapped out of an eg5 into another eg5.

mocchi
11-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Well I've hit a problem, when i'm driving normally its fairly alright, abit rough however if i decide to give alittle push to the peddals to rev the engine harder the engine seems to cease return to 0rev and slow the whole car down, unless i swap gears. When swapping between gears the rev meter will bounce however this isn't a true display of the actual rev that the engine is running. (imho - this might be a gripping problem with the clutch and fly. unsure assumption).

If anyone in Victoria want to give it a go at solving this problem be my guest. Recently did a frontyard engine swap with a change in timing belt, waterpump, all oils, all belts. haven't done the rest.

I was told it maybe caused by the coils being fried in the dizzy.

the engine's a d16y1 - recently swapped out of an eg5 into another eg5.

Can you possibly explain further? What do you mean by a bit rough, and cease to return to 0rev?

a bit rough as in jerking when accelerating?
cease to return as in the rpm needle stays there at say.. 5000rpms?

SuiJin
11-03-2009, 08:36 AM
A bit rough as in its feels abit shakey, like it wants to move but doesn't want to either, like rocking backs n forth on that speed.

Cease as in engine slows down, stops pulling power.

btw: i'm coming down eastside later, to attend nikki's thing.

mocchi
11-03-2009, 08:47 AM
A bit rough as in its feels abit shakey, like it wants to move but doesn't want to either, like rocking backs n forth on that speed.

hmm.. i remember reading in my service manual re: engine hesitates during acceleration. i think its the timing. did you install the timing belt correctly?
e.g. piston #1 tdc (markings on dizzy coil[pointing at #1], camshaft markings), belt deflection, only turning anti-clockwise looking at aux belts, and re-tighten tensioner bolt after you turn the crank pulley anti clockwise few teeth?

Cease as in engine slows down, stops pulling power.

does this feels like clutch slipping? or something else? did you check the condition of your clutch when the engine was out?

ill reply again tonight when i have the book, may not be very helpful but might give you some things to look for.

SuiJin
11-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Might be timing. I have a feeling the tensioner maybe the problem. The clutch had plenty of meat. I have a feeling the timing just need alittle adjustment. The timing belt was installed correctly. all the teeth were aligned properly with the belt. with the same number of teeth between top and bottom. if the waterpump has a problem may it cause this problem?

mocchi
11-03-2009, 09:08 AM
waterpump? hmm.. dont think so. ill reply again tonight.

SuiJin
11-03-2009, 09:41 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108374 sounds like the same problem

tiksie
11-03-2009, 12:48 PM
If it's a similar problem, change your fuel pump!

Easy cheap things first.

mocchi
11-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Engine stumbles on acceleration:
*spark plugs fouled
*fuel injection system faulty
*fuel filter clogged
*incorrect ignition timing
*intake manifold air leak

-honda civic & del sol, 92-95 SOHC. haynes manual.

keep us updated vin.

Limbo
11-03-2009, 11:05 PM
try changing the fuel filter first. Then also check if there is fuel pressure (hold onto the fuel hose while car is on, u should feel the pressure)
It sounds like a fuel problem to me, happened to me before

SuiJin
12-03-2009, 12:32 PM
well the full pumps been replaced. so its not the fuel pump. but its still there.

mocchi
12-03-2009, 12:38 PM
well the full pumps been replaced. so its not the fuel pump. but its still there.

your spark plugs and fuel filter okay vin?

you should open the dizzy cap and see if the rotor is pointing to cyl #1 while piston #1 ATDC.

SuiJin
12-03-2009, 12:39 PM
gonna do the sparkies in a second.

panda[cRx]
12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
i had a similar prob and it was my dizzy

SuiJin
12-03-2009, 02:27 PM
not the sparkies, not the fuel filter.
possibilities: timing belt(recently replaced) - possible. dizzy or coils.

atm: misfires and jumps on idle rev aswell. and sucks fuel like a mofo.

mocchi
12-03-2009, 04:01 PM
what was wrong with your dizzy?

;2166161']i had a similar prob and it was my dizzy

Henessaayyy
12-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Just a thought, don't yell at me, but check your fuses :)

vinnY
12-03-2009, 10:13 PM
thought eg5's had d16a8's?

anyway hows your timing? timing belt could have jumped a tooth since you said that was recently replaced

tiksie
12-03-2009, 10:15 PM
EG5 Si D16A8
EG5 VTi D16Y1

panda[cRx]
13-03-2009, 12:03 AM
what was wrong with your dizzy?

i cant remember :confused:
it was diagnosed when ripped the old engine out a few years ago
that was the original D16A8

but yeh dizzy problems are relatively common for civics of that age

SuiJin
15-03-2009, 08:38 AM
hmm havent quite solved it, but my rear main seal is leaking. grrr.