PDA

View Full Version : Thrust Bearing???

IRI
25-10-2004, 01:05 PM
I have a noisy thrust bearing and was wondering whether it is a big/expensive job to replace? Also will it do any further damage if I continue without replacing?

tinkerbell
25-10-2004, 04:28 PM
dep[ends which thrust bearing it is?

gearbox or crankshaft?!?!?

IRI
25-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Gearbox

wynode
25-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Sure its not your Input Shaft bearing?

FR33K
25-10-2004, 07:28 PM
hey mines been noisy for hmmmmmm nearly 2.5 years now lol
dont think it does do any damage... coz something woulda happen by now.. but i have heard they can lock up all something like that (or was the mechanic tryin to scare me just so i would get him to do it) haha
anyway yes expensive job...
im doin mine when my clutch goes.. i think hannys quoted me 750 to change clutch or 800 to do the bearings and clutch together since the gearbox will already be out and they wont have to charge double labour..

tinkerbell
25-10-2004, 07:37 PM
it is called HEAPS of things Win...

i call it a "release bearing"

it is worth about 30-50 bucks, the killer is the labour...

as fr33k says, may as well wait until clutch is replaced...

but the bearing could seize though, making shifting quite difficult or impossible....

LowEk
25-10-2004, 07:48 PM
or if the thrust bearing goes it could snap teeth off the pressure plate i had that happen on a previous car nearly distroyed my whole box why not get a good clutch and bearing now before it happens and distroys more than you need it to and you get stuck in peak hour traffic with no one wanting to help you push your car off the road i was lucky enough for mine to go while i was in a car park just got it towed from there any way food for thought.

LowEk

wynode
25-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Sorry when I read the thread I read it as throw out bearing for some reason!

But thrust bearing = input shaft / clutch housing bearing?

If its noisey i'd get it replaced because if it does fail then there is a possibility that it could destroy the rest of your box, say if all the little pieces decide to come loose and lodge themselves withing your gear teeth.

I've got a noisey ISB and thats going to be changed soon but it all depends on how loud the noise is.

As said above, the biggest cost is the labour of dropping the box and dismantlying the gearbox.

Slightyly OT.......how would you distinuish between a worn ISB and a worn throw out bearing?

type one
25-10-2004, 09:34 PM
yeah my release bearing cost $47 honda oem... changed it when i changed my clutch and fly...

no reason why you don;t change clutch early and keep this clutch for when you sell your car.. spoil yourself and get sth heavy duty LOL.

IRI
25-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks for helpful replies, cars has 98500kms on it now, reckon it would be ok to wait till 100000kms and do clutch, bearing and everything in one hit?

type one
25-10-2004, 09:44 PM
depends how hard you drive it between 98500 and 100000 hehe

better stay out of vteC just to be safe.

ECU-MAN
25-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Guys

Input Shaft Bearing is different to thrust bearing/release bearing.

one is inside the gearbox and one is outside the gearbox. if either is noisy, I suggest replacing it. thust bearing tend to be noisy when you put your foot on the clutch, ISB is noisy when crusing. Try to change the ISB asap as this could release metal particles through the gearbox then more things need to get replaced.

wynode
25-10-2004, 10:55 PM
Does thrust/release bearing = throw out bearing?

I know what a throw out bearing is.....just wondering what exactly the thrust bearing is now :|

ECU-MAN
25-10-2004, 10:57 PM
just another name.

iv always called it thrust bearing and always will call it that.

dr180
26-10-2004, 10:10 AM
make sure the guy installing it knows what he is doing a mate of mine with a dc2 vtir had one done and the guy who installed it put the bearing backwards as the bearing looks very similar on both sides untill the bearing fails and the balls get wedged in your gars.

26-10-2004, 02:45 PM
When do you hear the noise, with the clutch pedal down or up

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Be careful, they make 3 different sizes of thrust bearing for my N13 Pulsar!
Teg might be different with the different models in the range.

IRI
27-10-2004, 10:04 AM
When do you hear the noise, with the clutch pedal down or up

Clutch out makes noise, press it in noise go's away.
Rang up honda yesterday and the service department said it not that urgent but should get it replaced in near future. They said the likely hood of it completely colapsing is extremely remote.... :confused: I dont know whether to trust this info so I'll get it done at 100k service.

On side note they quoted me $785 for 100k service and extra $460 to replace clutch (oem clucth obviously) and thrust bearing, I thought this was a pretty reasonable price. Another non honda mech quoted me $1200 just for 100k service....

wynode
27-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Rang up honda yesterday and the service department said it not that urgent but should get it replaced in near future. They said the likely hood of it completely colapsing is extremely remote.... :confused: I dont know whether to trust this info so I'll get it done at 100k service.

On side note they quoted me $785 for 100k service and extra $460 to replace clutch (oem clucth obviously) and thrust bearing, I thought this was a pretty reasonable price. Another non honda mech quoted me $1200 just for 100k service....
It depends on whether it is the thrust bearing or the input shaft bearing.

The thrust bearing is located within the clutch housing (outside the gearbox) so it is not hard to change if you are doing your clutch.

The ISB is located inside the gearbox so you will have to take the gearbox apart to change it.

If the ISB decides to break up into pieces, you will end up damaging your gearbox. The same does NOT go for the thrust bearing.

Hope that helps.

27-10-2004, 04:27 PM
In that case it's not the thrust bearing but the input shaft bearing inside the gearbox.. becoming extremely common with older gearboxes.. i've lost count how many i have done in the past year..

IRI
27-10-2004, 05:12 PM
In that case it's not the thrust bearing but the input shaft bearing inside the gearbox.. becoming extremely common with older gearboxes.. i've lost count how many i have done in the past year..

In that case is it more urgent to replace?

wynode
27-10-2004, 10:49 PM
In that case is it more urgent to replace?
Depends on how loud the noise is.

It will gradually get worse. But if you are having your clutch done, pay a bit more and get your gearbox looked over while you get the ISB done.

How would you tell the difference between a worn thrust bearing and worn ISB?

EG_2_TEG
28-10-2004, 03:18 AM

mine was the opposite, clutch in made sound, out no sound

http://teamintegrated.org/random/tb.AVI [save target as]

my whole clutch was so fukd, i couldn't get it into any gear
had to get the car towed to get the clutch replaced

28-10-2004, 07:26 AM
How would you tell the difference between a worn thrust bearing and worn ISB?

The easiest way to tell is if you push the clutch pedal and the noise goes away then it's always the input shaft bearing.. :)

FANATK
28-10-2004, 01:39 PM
is the input shaft bearing the same as the front gearbox bearing? if not what is the front gearbox bearing?
my gen3 crx used make noise when the clutch was out and went away with the clutch in... iwas told its the front gearbox bearing

wynode
28-10-2004, 01:45 PM
is the input shaft bearing the same as the front gearbox bearing? if not what is the front gearbox bearing?
my gen3 crx used make noise when the clutch was out and went away with the clutch in... iwas told its the front gearbox bearing
Sounds like the ISB aka clutch housing bearing to me.

28-10-2004, 02:59 PM
yep also known as the input shaft bearing.. :)

ECU-MAN
28-10-2004, 11:29 PM
front is not realy descriptive coz in the front of the gearbox there are two bearing, mainshaft bearing and countershaft bearing, but its mostlt the mainsgaft bearing that fails.