PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions Please Read

Age_S2000
11-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey all few questions...

1. Oil catch cans? are they good for use on S2K's or will they cause damage to the motor, as iv heard some motors run wet. meaning they suck oil lightly thru the PCV valve to lubricate the Intake internals?

2. I have By passed the water hoses going into the throttle body. good idea or bad? does it make a difference or just a waste of time?

3. Clutchs on ebay? i need a clutch asap and im very interested in the clutch in these links there just under $1050 landed.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-07-HONDA-S2000-F20C1-STAGE-2-CLUTCH-KIT-FLYWHEEL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3 a1Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14 QQhashZitem250383462097QQitemZ250383462097QQptZMot orsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-STAGE-2-CLUTCH-KIT-RACING-FLYWHEEL-00-07-S2000_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a1Q 7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQh ashZitem390014687839QQitemZ390014687839QQptZMotors Q5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

whats your opinions?
im mainly interested in them because they coms with a light weight flywheel and clutch for almost the same price as just an Exedy heavy duty from aust. An Exedy HD is $825 Trade price.

4. Extractors. there is a place in melb that does them for $490 and there on the shelf. Ebay ones are cheaper but are they good. and the cheapest so far iv been quoted for a cat back is $1400 not fitted. any one know enyone who custom makes exhausts?

i hugely appreciate all your help :)

JAP-S2K
11-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey champ, to answers some of yours Q's.
1.Yes running an oil catch can is fine, some will disagree and some will agree, and no it will not harm your motor. If this were the case, 90% of modified engines would fail, so it's fine. Mine has run one for years and has not had a problem.
2.I've seen a few now with these lines bypassed, as apparently more power is meant to be made due to the fact there's no coolant running through plenum. Dyno results have shown no power increase, so it seems pointless.
3.I personally wouldn't purchase an e-bay clutch(cheapy) as i've known of major failures. Save your bikkies and buy a decent, well known item. As clutches are a weak point already from factory, and most the e-bay ones look and sound promising, but most look crappy and cheap. The exedy HD is a good kit.
4.With headers, and this may open a can of worms. It's very difficult to gain any hp with an aftermarket header with a STANDARD engine. Yes there's gains if you go all out on an N/A monster. But in standard trim, honda did an unreal job and in many cases you'll lose power rather than gain. Also be careful of some of the e-bay systems look identical to the factory ones, only polished with worse bends. I don't think there are any good cheap off the shelf exhausts. If you do choose to go custom, keep it single outlet 65mm pipe with minimal bends.

Age_S2000
12-03-2009, 11:31 PM
How about high flow cats? because clearly a test pipe is illegal lol even tho i wouldnt mind one myself.

im sticking with the Exedy heavy duty as they are a great well known brand. but are there any possitives to lightened flywheels?
Ok there great because the motor revs up quicker but wouldnt u loose torque. doesnt some if not most torque come from the fast momentum of the flywheel? correct me if im wrong.

and what else can i do to increase top end. Does enyone here have cams in there F20C?

F20C
13-03-2009, 12:23 AM
i know someone who was selling headers for 100bucks had them in his s2k for like a week and took them out and put the stock ones in and sold the car -.- pointless if you ask me but i think he was wanting 150-100 for them.

oh and the lightened flywheel you'll feel your car rev up faster =) i felt it when i got my coushin button clutch put in with a lightened flywheel.

JAP-S2K
17-03-2009, 03:39 PM
As above yes you'll notice a lightened flywheel but it's very slight and only in first second gear. And yes you will lose torque. There aren't really any major issues with lightened flywheels other than steer clear of cheap shit ones. As i've seen ones that have exploded(not in an s2000) and it's not a pretty thing to see.

O.k as for cams, where do i start. To put just cams and leave everything else untouched really is pointless, as the factory cams make great outright power. and most cam sets will only give you 5-10hp if your lucky. However if you were after more torque and mid-range power then a set of cams can do the trick, providing you find the right set.

If your after outright power, you'll need to add, prog. ecu, new valve springs(should replace these every 60-80,000 kms anyway), injectors, custom head porting and most tuners go to quad throttles. Then you'll need to go larger headers, 70mm exhaust and you should see a gain of around 30-50 hp gain depending on tuner and parts, but you lose low down drivability.

You need to ask yourself is it worth it?

Age_S2000
17-03-2009, 04:16 PM
and i answer to that hell no its not worth it man all that money could be spent on forced induction were youll make double the power.

i think ill give the lightend flywheel a miss S2000s need all the torque they can get.

valve springs however i can understand but if i ever do change them id throw in a couple of nice street/strip cams while im at it....

id love to get the ECU programed but i wouldnt know were to go. i hear with CIA, EXHAUST AND TUNE your lookin at mid 13's with good traction?

i just got a quote today on a 65mm stainless mandrel bent exhaust cat. back with a magnaflow stainless high flow/straight thru muffler fitted for $570 :O lol i thort that was awsome so im doing it :) hopefully soon :)

JAP-S2K
17-03-2009, 07:20 PM
and i answer to that hell no its not worth it man all that money could be spent on forced induction were youll make double the power.

i think ill give the lightend flywheel a miss S2000s need all the torque they can get.

valve springs however i can understand but if i ever do change them id throw in a couple of nice street/strip cams while im at it....

id love to get the ECU programed but i wouldnt know were to go. i hear with CIA, EXHAUST AND TUNE your lookin at mid 13's with good traction?

i just got a quote today on a 65mm stainless mandrel bent exhaust cat. back with a magnaflow stainless high flow/straight thru muffler fitted for $570 :O lol i thort that was awsome so im doing it :) hopefully soon :)

If your after some faster straight line acceleration, you should look into changing final drive to 4.777. It's not a massive difference, but i guess it all helps.

Uncle George
17-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I disagree that a lighten fly wheel will loose torque.

A fly wheel is simply a rotating mass, it "store" energy. A heavy fly wheel is going to make the engine feel smoother, will rev up slower because you are using engine power to increase it's spinning speed. AND it will also make the engine drop rev slower because it's giving up energy as the engine try to slow it down.

So, the only situation a heavier fly wheel is going to help is launching the car off line. or in a stop and go traffic. Because the fly wheel's rotating mass is going to help engine keep it's RPM.

I have not driven a car with oem fly wheel and a lightened one, so i'm not sure how much difference the fly wheel will make.. but I have driven race car fitted with motorcycle engine =) man it's great fun - personally I think it's more fun than riding a motorcycle. (but ya, hard to launch and not get bogged down).

Uncle George
17-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I have heard good things about the F1 Racing company. They also make seats right? Errr.. but from China I think...... not too sure, so don't quote me on it...

Exedy HyperSingle is very cool though.... it's a CNCed pressure plate, not pressed steel crap.....US $1,124.77 LOL

----Edit----------------
F1 clutch
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=521981&st=0&#entry14773722
(The guy who tried it said only lasted 6000miles.)

AusS2000
17-03-2009, 09:33 PM
There are a lot of guys who've had the Exedy Hyper Single only last a few thousand K's.

I think it depends how you drive but the Hyper Single is a bit of a pig.

I bought mine worn out after about 2500K and had it rebuilt.

minimetoy
17-03-2009, 09:36 PM
I have had a lightened fly wheel in a previous car and found that there was a change in torque, whilst the motor reved faster the torque seemed to be in a different rev range.

JAP-S2K
18-03-2009, 01:37 PM
I disagree that a lighten fly wheel will loose torque.

A fly wheel is simply a rotating mass, it "store" energy. A heavy fly wheel is going to make the engine feel smoother, will rev up slower because you are using engine power to increase it's spinning speed. AND it will also make the engine drop rev slower because it's giving up energy as the engine try to slow it down.

So, the only situation a heavier fly wheel is going to help is launching the car off line. or in a stop and go traffic. Because the fly wheel's rotating mass is going to help engine keep it's RPM.

I have not driven a car with oem fly wheel and a lightened one, so i'm not sure how much difference the fly wheel will make.. but I have driven race car fitted with motorcycle engine =) man it's great fun - personally I think it's more fun than riding a motorcycle. (but ya, hard to launch and not get bogged down).

Yeah your right in saying the engine doesn't lose torque, as it doesn't but it's whats after the engine that counts. Dyno's don't lie. So YES you do lose torque at the wheels. Also your correct in saying that a heavier flywheel will heap launch/takeoff, but they also help keep momemtum between gear changes.

F20C
18-03-2009, 01:59 PM
im happy with my coushion button and lightened fly wheel =)

Age_S2000
18-03-2009, 04:40 PM
i wouldnt mind a flywheel but i think for now $825 that i dont have is enuff for just a clutch lol

i need to rotate my inner hubs and possibly get my hands on spacers as my car still vibrates under accel.

does enyone know how much roughly a ECU reprogram costs and were to do it? :)

DC5TYPER
18-03-2009, 06:32 PM

1. $570. Where is this quote from.

2. FI is good for power. But you also should be re-inforcing drive shafts, rear diff and all the other stuff that will cop a beating from the EXTRA power and torque.

Thus being said. When you way up cost of that now. NA doesn't seem to bad. MANY JDM tuners tune the s2000 in NA. Not TURBO.

NA is BEST!

Age_S2000
18-03-2009, 07:06 PM
i will be keeping it NA but for resonable gain you need to spend big...

My $570 quote came from a place in hoppers crossing called Flexifit exhaust.

but i will be getting another quote from Blitz Exhaust in hoppers too this saturday :)