PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone thinking about changing the exhaust on their Euro?

Type R Positive
25-10-2004, 02:57 PM
I was looking underneath the Euro yesterday, thinking how the F$#@ would a rear camber kit work on the 5 link suspension when I noticed how puny the cat-back section of the exhaust really was.

I have always had in my mind the idea of just changing the mufflers, but now, I believe a full cat-back exhaust is the order of the day. I think just by looking at it, the cat-back section must have only been 1.75" in diameter. The front section off the headers looks to be a good 2.5" just at a quick glance.

I am convinced that it would definately be worth while changing the full cat-back section for a handy gain of a few KW's. Looking at what is coming out now on the market, I might just get a custom jobbie. There is a few good brands out now like Mugen, Tanabe, Comptech, Greddy and a few more, but all are expensive to get here in Australia (as always!).

Could anyone else be bothered changing their exhaust system?

*Just a quick note*
for those of you who are dreaming of getting some DC SPORTS headers, I wouldn't. Word is that they are of really poor quality with many of our US counterparts having to re-weld them up after structural failure.

Chris_F
25-10-2004, 06:27 PM
I've thought about doing it, but only for the sound (the stocky is damn quiet) i've read up on some of the available systems, you'll only be able to free up 4-5 horsepower at the most, if you want performance go cold air intake

Type R Positive
25-10-2004, 06:47 PM
My K&N Typhoon CAI is already on order! A red one so that should make it go faster! (thanks egSi :) )

4 - 5 HP should be easy to get, 4 - 5 KW is more like it! A full custom Cat-back shouldn't cost that much more than just two mufflers. There would be a fair bit of work involved in swapping mufflers, the right one is welded on and the left one is attached using a flange. The bends in the pipe work look too tight to just slip on replacements, as well as being too small in diameter. As I say, I was going to just change the mufflers, but I have since changed my mind.

baboo
25-10-2004, 07:33 PM
I got Fujitsubo exhaust on order
I don't expect much from the exhaust though. Its there mainly for sound

PERTH_EURO
25-10-2004, 10:04 PM
leaving standard.

dont forget ur running 2*small diameter, so it matches ur header total diameter.

But anyways i love the quietness, have made enquiries for larger tips tho. no luck yet

Type R Positive
25-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I'm not expecting much at all from an exhaust. Fujitsubo exhaust is nice. Is it the one with the two oval mufflers?

The exhaust only splits at the last minute and makes two tight 90 deg turns to each side. the two pipes after the split that go to the mufflers are the same size as the main pipe that comes from the cat (~1.75"). If it was all the same size from the headers down to the split, I don't think I would have a problem with it. I know it is really pitty, but I know there is room for improvement.

Hey Timbo, the tips are just held on with one bolt as you already would know. I was thinking in the mean time that I might go and see the maintanence boys up the workshop to knock me up some tips out of 3" stainless steel. I might even have to do it my self! The joys of working in the mining industry!

Slugoid
25-10-2004, 11:49 PM
I believe EuroAccord13 has done a fair bit to his Euro. As him about the gains with the exhaust.

baboo
26-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Yup it's FUJITSUBO LegalisR

http://la-cl9.com/040722%20(6)1.JPG
http://la-cl9.com/040722%20(4)1.JPG

Here's a sould clip LegalisR Sound (http://la-cl9.com/legalis_r_040803.wmv)

Owner's expression is that the exhaust is quite at idle, deep burble sound appears at 4000rpm+ to the redline. Low - mid range acceleration improved.

Picture& Sound source from Http://la-cl9.com

coladuna
26-10-2004, 11:25 AM
I don't think I'll ever change the exhuast. I hate noisy cars.

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey Baboo, That's pretty tasty! Sounds heaps better too! How much roughly for the exhaust? PM me if you don't want to post!

egSi
26-10-2004, 12:53 PM
dam that is a nice setup baboo.

man i wish i had a euro sometimes...

euros are way cool, haha nice matt ;)

baboo
26-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Type R + u have PM

Euro_Boy
26-10-2004, 02:02 PM
My opinion, its a luxury car (even if it aint the luxury model) so I think to put an exhaust would be 'going against the grain' so to speak.

Euro_Boy
26-10-2004, 02:02 PM
To prove my point, would you put an exhaust on a BMW or Mercedes?

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Even pimp'n cars have phatt exhausts! I would like to see a limo with side pipes though.

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 02:05 PM
To prove my point, would you put an exhaust on a BMW or Mercedes? hell yeah!!!!

EuroAccord13
26-10-2004, 02:10 PM
If you read the Fujitsubo website, the Legalis R twin exhaust for the CL7 only gives out 3HP from memory according to their dyno. If you still want the twin exhaust look, I'd rather you look at DC Sports or CompTech, they have better gains...

As for mine, I "chopped" them off, twin exhaust = restriction and loss of power if done incorrectly. OEM Exhaust = Emmisions reasons and it' looks sexy and cool...

Besides, it's a 4 Cylinder, gotta be real careful how you build your twinnies up..

Mine = Running single stainless steel mandrel bend.. ugly it may be, but I'm not into looks, just raw power :D

My K&N Typhoon CAI is already on order! A red one so that should make it go faster! (thanks egSi :) ) The bends in the pipe work look too tight to just slip on replacements, as well as being too small in diameter. As I say, I was going to just change the mufflers, but I have since changed my mind.

CopyCAT! LOL... My Typhoon CAI is also red, but I believe the redness factor gives an extra 10HP over the chrome look LOL!

The underbody area where the exhaust pipes are have sufficient space to do a custom set up, I've got me car on the hoist many times to under the car for a tour LOL....

CHEERS
Nick

Slugoid
26-10-2004, 04:09 PM
To prove my point, would you put an exhaust on a BMW or Mercedes?

I would. Anything for more power, I would do. Who saids luxury can't have performance?

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 04:21 PM
To prove my point, would you put an exhaust on a BMW or Mercedes? And also, if you look, there is heaps of exhaust systems available for these cars :D

baboo
26-10-2004, 04:23 PM
yaya, REMUS, SUPERSPRINT, just to name a few that do exhaust for this sort of cars...

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 04:41 PM
If you read the Fujitsubo website, the Legalis R twin exhaust for the CL7 only gives out 3HP from memory according to their dyno. If you still want the twin exhaust look, I'd rather you look at DC Sports or CompTech, they have better gains...

As for mine, I "chopped" them off, twin exhaust = restriction and loss of power if done incorrectly. OEM Exhaust = Emmisions reasons and it' looks sexy and cool...

Besides, it's a 4 Cylinder, gotta be real careful how you build your twinnies up..

Mine = Running single stainless steel mandrel bend.. ugly it may be, but I'm not into looks, just raw power :D

CopyCAT! LOL... My Typhoon CAI is also red, but I believe the redness factor gives an extra 10HP over the chrome look LOL! I think the fujitsubo company are the only ones being realistic about their gains out of those you talk about. Comptech is real expensive and I think DC SPORTS has quality issues. Jap brands are better quality generally, and are heaps cheaper to get in and they have way way more braging rights!!!

Is your exhaust a custom jobbie? I want to keep the twin mufflers. There is plenty of room underneath, I'm not worried about room. I might try and find out if I can get some titanium tubing from some where. What an effort that would be!!!

K&N should be here soon hopefully, it's in Aust! I never liked the chrome one, I didn't mind the silver one, but they definately don't produce as much HP as the red one. I have seen the dyno's!!! :D

EuroAccord13
28-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Just a word for your CAI, the OEM Resonator can be a pain in the arse to remove... just be patient with it when u juggle and nudge it between the flaps and you'll be fine... :)

Pum[Z]
28-10-2004, 01:09 AM
I actually went to Perth Exhaust about a month and a half ago asking for a quote for exhausts. They quoted me 2.25 inch s/steel off cat back with resonator and Twin SEBRING Single Outlets on each side for $1200 fitted.

I know Sebring and Remus are owned by the same company and usually they are for european cars. But many of my friends have had them in their cars in the past and i have heard them on honda's and they sound quite nice. Not too loud and they last real good. (My friend had it on for 4 years on his bmer and had no prb with it).

Thats just food for thought there...

Type R Positive
28-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Just a word for your CAI, the OEM Resonator can be a pain in the arse to remove... just be patient with it when u juggle and nudge it between the flaps and you'll be fine... :) Ta brother!

Type R Positive
28-10-2004, 08:30 AM
']I actually went to Perth Exhaust about a month and a half ago asking for a quote for exhausts. They quoted me 2.25 inch s/steel off cat back with resonator and Twin SEBRING Single Outlets on each side for $1200 fitted.

I know Sebring and Remus are owned by the same company and usually they are for european cars. But many of my friends have had them in their cars in the past and i have heard them on honda's and they sound quite nice. Not too loud and they last real good. (My friend had it on for 4 years on his bmer and had no prb with it).

Thats just food for thought there... Yes, that sounds nice. When I go down to Perth I will have to go around to all the places. Cypher seems ok but from the prices I have seen on their website, expensive. Genie in myaree I think do alot of work for x speed. They sound really good at what they do. What size do you think, 2.25" or 2.5" for cat back?

Pum[Z]
10-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Most of my friends that own Mercs & BMW's have moded their exhaust and they only use Sebring/Remus/Supersprint. Sebring have full systems out for all kind of european cars. They have a full system for even the current Mini Cooper.

Yo Matt whatever u do don't get exhaust from Cypher unless u like it bloody loud. I had one on my old car and my gf knew everytime i would come coz she could hear it when i haven't even came to her street yet. Genie in myaree is not bad. I had my extractors and piping done there on my old car but they don't stock japanese or European exhausts. U might as well go to Perth Exhaust, Xspeed, or car quest.

2.25 looks like the way to go. Don't want it to be any bigger then it would loose the performance. Definetly check around Perth. Been offered Apexi exhausts from car quest for $950 installed. Thats for two of em and i think that is quite cheap. The exhaust is oval and the tip is round but its all stainlesss steel. The tip is not big enough for me. I may get the sebring exhaust with 4-5 inch tip. I like them large it would compliment the mugen bodykit that my euro is getting as we speak.

If u still want to get an exhaust i got a friend that can get u any chinese muffler that are replica's and then badge whatever brand u want from the factory. If u want HKS, Apexi, RSR, even Mugen they can do it....