PDA

View Full Version : dc2r close gear ratio question

fabezzz
12-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I just bought a dc2r upgrading from a EG, i just have a question tho since the gears are closer together.

When im driving around on small roads im useually in 3rd gear at 3k rpm and when im coming up to a corner or roundabout id slow down then downshift into second and the car doesnt seem to smoothly transfer into second obviously the revs will go up higher since im going into a lower gear but it just doesnt seem as smooth as my old civic.

I dont know if its because its a close ratio box and thats what it usually does, rev matching solves the problem but i dont really do it while just driving normally.

pretty shit explanation but yeh if anyone has a answer for me :)

aaronng
12-03-2009, 01:49 PM
The pressure plate or clutch plate could be more aggressive than your civic, thus causing your DC2R not to climb in revs as smoothly when you slip the clutch. I would advise that you rev match every time. That is what I do and I don't even have a car as harsh as the DC2R.

fabezzz
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeh this has a heavy duty clutch in it only had a oem one in the civic, its only really from 3rd to second 4th to 3rd is normal

aaronng
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Yes, because the gap between 4th and 3rd is smaller than 3rd to 2nd. So the RPM jumps up quicker for 3rd to 2nd, which makes it seem rougher (RPM goes up quicker)

string
12-03-2009, 02:01 PM
I have a "heavy duty" pressure plate and ever since installing it I've never been able to smoothly raise the revs of the engine with the clutch alone, every change has to be rev-matched. The price you pay.

fabezzz
12-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Alright thanks alot for your help i guess ill just have to rev match 3rd to 2nd all the time now, i thought it would of been because the gears are closer thats why when i was in 3rd gear at 3k then by the time i slowed down and downshifted id be in 2nd gear at 3k aswell, hence the car jumping up so hard.

fabezzz
12-03-2009, 02:04 PM
I have a "heavy duty" pressure plate and ever since installing it I've never been able to smoothly raise the revs of the engine with the clutch alone, every change has to be rev-matched. The price you pay.

TBH i liked the feel of the oem clutch more ;)

string
12-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I have another Integra with an OEM clutch and I agree that it feels much nicer when you drive around politely. When it comes to performance though, the OEM clutch doesn't even come close.

IZY-10
12-03-2009, 04:22 PM
you can just stay in 3rd. But don't worry give it a few months you will get use to the car and how it likes to be driven

fabezzz
12-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I would stay in 3rd but i usually downshift into 2nd to get better acell out of the corners. By the time ive started braking the rpm would have gone from about 3k to 1k ( haven't really looked) and when i downshift into second should your rpm rev fast in a dc2r and go upto 3k in 2nd abit rough.

Bludger
13-03-2009, 01:30 AM
just learn to drive the car :)

fabezzz
13-03-2009, 11:34 AM
just learn to drive the car :)

easyer said then done lol :) just basically wanted to ask another dc2r owner to see if this happens aswell when they dont rev match.

IEVAQ8
13-03-2009, 11:44 AM
like most people have mentioned, either rev match everytime, or if u can judge the coner/roundabout, just leave it in third.............

RR-04-RR
13-03-2009, 11:48 AM
easyer said then done lol :) just basically wanted to ask another dc2r owner to see if this happens aswell when they dont rev match.

come to st clair and test it out then :P :D:D lol

VTECMACHINE
13-03-2009, 12:29 PM
You drive around at 3K in 3rd on a little street. WOW. I don't even rev my car to 3K driving around the street normally. I'd be in 4th for sure. Also you can take corners and roundabouts in 3rd easily.

Yeah HD clutches are more harsh, than a normal OEM one... so rev match, and make heel toe a habit for even daily driving.

Bludger
13-03-2009, 12:41 PM
easyer said then done lol :) just basically wanted to ask another dc2r owner to see if this happens aswell when they dont rev match.lmao

no shit man. Shift into a lower gear and sharply let go of the clutch, what did you expect?? A blowjob like feeling in your crotch?? of course its gonna jerk a bit.

And.......... do what VTECMACHINE said.

force yourself to practice "heel & toe" I had no idea until i forced myself to do it. Soon enough, it becomes second nature to you and everytime you do it, its perfect.

b4dnuf
13-03-2009, 02:36 PM
You drive around at 3K in 3rd on a little street. WOW. I don't even rev my car to 3K driving around the street normally. I'd be in 4th for sure. Also you can take corners and roundabouts in 3rd easily.

Yeah HD clutches are more harsh, than a normal OEM one... so rev match, and make heel toe a habit for even daily driving.

Like VTECMACHINE said i dont drive around in 3rd either most of the time the car is happy on 4th around little streets unless your doing like 40Kmph
but if its 50 or 60 4th is just fine.
i just drop it ot 3rd when i take corner only time i drop it to 2nd is if the corner is really sharp and i have to slow down to take it.
e.g. I approach on 4th brake and drop to 3rd. take corner. if i need accelation i drop it to 2nd after i have turned.

if the corner is sharp then i downshift from 4th to 3rd then to 2nd.
i only downshift from 4th to 2nd if i put on the brakes hard and take the corner at like 30kmph

fabezzz
13-03-2009, 03:56 PM
yea thx guys question answered probably 3k was abit to much.