PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading brake pads & brake fluid vs Warranty

renegadeice
13-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Hi guys,

I've extended the warranty of my Honda Civic to 5 years (about 3 years remaining). I'm planning on upgrading my brake pads (probably something along the line of Endless SSS brake pads). Also planning on changing the brake fluid as well.

I've contacted the Honda service guys at my dealer to confirm its impact on the warranty. They said and i quote "The upgrade can void the warranty of the everything in the braking system if it can be proven that a fault in the braking system was the direct result of the upgrade".

1. what type of braking system fault could be 'proven' to be the result of a brake pad upgrade?

2. Same question as above but for braking fluid?

3. Also, how would disputes over warranty be handled? Could you get an independent mechanic to assess a fault in the car and use that assessment to challenge the dealer's opinion of a warranty void?

Thanks very much in advance for your help, guys!

aaronng
13-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Things that won't be covered under warranty if you change to aftermarket pads and fluid:
1) Failed master cylinder (eventhough it is caused by a defect and not by the fluid)
2) Leaking brake lines
3) Failed ABS pump
4) Caliper seal and boot damage
5) Rotor warp
6) Rotor uneven wear
7) Vibration from the hubs

aaronng
13-03-2009, 06:20 PM
As long as the parts specifications meet or exceed the stock specs. the dealer can't void your warranty. The same situation as changing your oil and using non-honda oil.

If your engine blew up and there was a very small hint that it "might" be caused by the oil, dealers and/or Honda Aus won't hesistate to put the blame on your superior engine oil.

renegadeice
16-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Ah. Thanks very much to both of you for your input guys, i really do appreciate it.

I had a long talk with my dealer's service dept. I suppose the gist of it is that if they have an opportunity to not honor the warranty, they can (customers using non-honda parts make this very easy for them). But they won't necessarily do it.

They told me that they have performed fixed for customers where the fault was quite obviously the fault of an aftermarket upgrade. However, I was told not to assume this, and play safe because they can and have said no before to people in a similar situation. Maybe when there have been too many warranty claims in a certain period or, etc (i'm just guessing? :confused:)

With the information that I have from the dealer's service team and you guys, i have quite a lot of pros and cons to weigh up. Thanks again, you guys!

aaronng
16-03-2009, 02:24 PM
And pray tell how would an engine blow up from using Honda specified rated oil? And the ratings are a international standard not just for Honda. The oil manufactures don't add all those little letters for the fun of it. Read you owners manual and follow the specs. and it DOESN'T say must use Honda oil it says must use oil meeting the specs listed. Save your receipts and you will beat any case. I didn't say it was going to be easy but you will win your case. Once you show the oil used is up to the rating Honda specified the onus is on them to prove why the engine failed from another rated brand oil.

Not my decision. Tell that to the dealers here where some of them do use any possible excuse, no matter how remote, to weasel out of a warranty claim.

I use aftermarket engine oil anyway regardless.

renegadeice
19-03-2009, 07:02 AM
This is just an update for anyone who's interested. Rotors aren't covered as part of the Honda Warranty (according to my dealer, yours may have a different say). They say that under normal use, rotors would not need replacing within a 5 year period (which is also the length of a Honda Extended Warranty).

*sigh* On the bright side...... I suppose that makes my decision easier.