PDA

View Full Version : General question about on-road costs

forbidden
13-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Hi guys. I'm planning to buy a new Honda Jazz (Auto GLI) pretty soon. I'm currently living in Melbourne. Before I go to the dealer, I would like to know how much money should I provide (approximately) to cover the on-road costs (for this specific type of Jazz) such as:
- Delivery Charges
- CTP
- Stamp Duty
- Rego

Any reference to appropriate source of information is highly welcomed.

Hopefully this question does not violate any forum's rule about 'how much' kind of question. Thanks guys.

kleo
14-03-2009, 01:34 PM
um why don't u call around different dealers and ask them how much it costs for the whole package?

hywindz
14-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Delivery charges? Don't you pick it up lol?
Anyways for stamp duty - if I remember correctly it's 3% of the purchase value of the car. (I'm in QLD so it may differ slightly)
REGO - 1 year rego is close to the $600 mark ( once again in QLD)
CTP - get an online quote from an insurance company
If I were you I would try and get rego and/or stamp duty in the purchase value of the car. An incentive like a cash sale may do the trick.

aaronng
14-03-2009, 07:06 PM
If new, then you can bargain.
Delivery - $0
CTP - $0 (paid by dealer)
Stamp duty - $0 (paid by dealer)
Rego - $0 (paid by dealer)

Remember, times are bad and the buyer has bargaining power.

When I bought my car in 2004, I got all the above included for free, plus free floor mats and mud flaps. So during bad times, you can do better than I did.

forbidden
14-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Wow, that's an amazing deal aaroong. Free on-road costs and few extras as well. I'm planning to go to the dealer around end of June. Hopefully it will give me some bargaining power.

Thanks for everyone's suggestion (including hywindz and kleo). Moreover, I did my own research, and this is what I have came up with (specific for Victoria):
- Stamp Duty is $5 for every $200 of the new car value (maximum of $57,009). For full details, please follow this link: http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/SROWebSite.nsf/taxes%20rates.htm#4
- Registration Fee can be calculated using the calculator provided in VicRoads' website
Ref: http://webapps.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/VRCALC.NSF/fee?OpenForm#calc1

However, there is one thing I don't understand yet. If CTP is a kind of insurance, shouldn't it be an on-going fee? Why aaronng can get a $0 for that? What does it mean?

Mr_will
14-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Wow, that's an amazing deal aaroong. Free on-road costs and few extras as well. I'm planning to go to the dealer around end of June. Hopefully it will give me some bargaining power.

Thanks for everyone's suggestion (including hywindz and kleo). Moreover, I did my own research, and this is what I have came up with (specific for Victoria):
- Stamp Duty is $5 for every $200 of the new car value (maximum of $57,009). For full details, please follow this link: http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/SROWebSite.nsf/taxes%20rates.htm#4
- Registration Fee can be calculated using the calculator provided in VicRoads' website
Ref: http://webapps.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/VRCALC.NSF/fee?OpenForm#calc1 (Ref:%20http://webapps.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/VRCALC.NSF/fee?OpenForm#calc1)

However, there is one thing I don't understand yet. If CTP is a kind of insurance, shouldn't it be an on-going fee? Why aaronng can get a $0 for that? What does it mean?

Compulsory Third Party insurance covers you for the injuries caused to the other drive if you are at fault in an accident. It does NOT cover damage to their vehicle, which is a common misconception. You need third party property for that scenario.

CTP is renewed every year, but can be used as a bargaining tool at time of sale (obviously the dealer is only going to pay one years worth)

forbidden
22-03-2009, 01:11 PM
So, does it mean if I take a comprehensive insurance, I don't need to pay any CTP Insurance anymore? Will comprehensive insurance covers damage of property and injuries toward the third party?

aaronng
22-03-2009, 01:34 PM
So, does it mean if I take a comprehensive insurance, I don't need to pay any CTP Insurance anymore? Will comprehensive insurance covers damage of property and injuries toward the third party?

You MUST have CTP. Then on top of that, you can take either comprehensive, third party property/fire & theft or nothing.

JDMHNI
22-03-2009, 02:10 PM
I just bought a car and i got confused about CTP and property insurance also.
CTP cost can be found on insurance companies such as AAMI and NRMA, as well as insurance cost. If you take out multiple insurances from one insurer, such as NRMA, you sometimes get a small discount :)

My rego was $245 and I'm in NSW.

But its best to bring someone with you who is gifted at bargaining :thumbsup:

Then you can get free stuff :thumbsup:

Hope that helps :D

forbidden
22-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Great, another insurance on top of another insurance hahahaa. Yup, it is good to have someone that is good in bargaining. Should find one pretty soon =)

Just read this survey result conducted by Cannex and their top three insurance companies include: Budget Direct, AAMI, and Commonwealth Bank. Any of you have good/bad experience with this companies, especially during making a claim?

forbidden
22-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Guysss, another question about the CTP insurance. Who will arrange the CTP Insurance? I mean, who will arrange which insurance company are we having the CTP insurance with? Can we arrange it ourself? If yes, I assume we have to have it arrange before we go to the dealer and sign the contract, isn't it?

Crapdaz
24-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Guysss, another question about the CTP insurance. Who will arrange the CTP Insurance? I mean, who will arrange which insurance company are we having the CTP insurance with? Can we arrange it ourself? If yes, I assume we have to have it arrange before we go to the dealer and sign the contract, isn't it?
CTP can be organised with dealer; as i did with my gf's suzuki swift went with the ctp company the dealer partnered with since it came free with car deal.

You can arrange it ahead of picking up the car or you can get the insurance company to write a cover letter. With ref no. of your policy in progress.

aaronng
24-03-2009, 09:38 AM

The dealer will arrange it. That's why he charges you for on-road costs. And that is why you should bargain to get on-roads thrown in for free. Don't use the word free. Use the words "$1xxxx on the road"

Crapdaz
24-03-2009, 09:50 AM
But must admit going to all the dealers Honda is the one that is hard to bargain with....

aaronng
24-03-2009, 11:00 AM
But must admit going to all the dealers Honda is the one that is hard to bargain with....

When times are hard, sales are more important. Hhahaa, use it to your advantage.

Crapdaz
24-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Yes, it is good but not when you don't have cash!
When i tried to bargain for a jazz they wouldn't let it go for 20500 or give any accessories.

Should sell my euro and pick up an FD civic or EP3 :p.

Hitchy
28-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Those Honda adds you see for sales including 5 yrs extended warranty, roadside assist, CTP etc are mostly rubbish in VIC.
Registration in VIC includes the third party personal injury insurance charge (TAC charge, Transport Accident Commission)
Your own insurance arrangements cover either Third party property damage or full comprehensive insurance for your car also.

As others have mentioned, importantly just get a quote for all costs on the road so you can compare apples with apples when shopping. All states will have their differences.
Fees like dealer delivery are mostly just crap.
$2000 for what.....to take off all the plastic, maybe take it for a test drive, get the service guys to check it over if you're lucky (make sure there is oil in it :eek:) and give it a wash. C'mon!

If you want the best price, I'd suggest going through one of the web based sites where you tell them what you want and they find the best price for a small fee or you pay nothing if you can do better. If you, or know someone, who has salary packaging for cars at work, get a quote to see what the car fleet lease company can get it for. I was fortunate enough to find an old school friend at a dealership and he could only knock off a few hundred dollars to beat the lease quote to get the deal from the prefered supplier dealership. Was about 20% off the base RRP for car and tint, matts etc, then all the extras added on, like Rego, Duty etc. Was not a runout or anything either. Asked to order latest build and compliance for delivery early in the year around April.