PDA

View Full Version : warming up car

Sico
25-10-2004, 07:08 PM
i find that if i let my car warm up for a few min with out touching the accelerator it feels like it drives better but if i drive even normally, with out getting the revs up it dont feel soo good, is this just in my head or does it really make that much of a difference??

lerroy
25-10-2004, 07:24 PM
I aways let my car warm up a bit like a min in the morning...
just cause thats wht i have always been told let the oil get around
but i havnt seen a difference really....

type one
25-10-2004, 09:31 PM
always warm up my car for a good two minutes before i drive each morning... it does make a big difference... the whole car "engages" better when it is warm.

LAGOOT
25-10-2004, 10:16 PM
i always warm my car till it reaches normal temp. every morning before i drive.
totally agrre with 'type one'

integrica
25-10-2004, 10:26 PM
i always warm my car till it reaches normal temp too. ive heard that its bad too leave the car idling for 'too long' but i cant see why, any thoughts?

vtc
25-10-2004, 10:57 PM
ask Jenson Button and he will tell what happens when you idle for too long! haha Your engine catches fire!

linkorr
25-10-2004, 11:14 PM
lol....! @ vtc

the car warms up faster when it's under load. So its okay to drive while it's warming up. Just don't go vtec-ing before you've reach proper operating temp.

faijai
25-10-2004, 11:28 PM
yeh new cars these days dont require u to warm them up as much as the more odler cars did. around 30 seconds to a minute should be enough.

LAGOOT
25-10-2004, 11:31 PM
like my mate with a corolla sportivo. lol
didnt warm up. took me out for a spin. revs cut out at 6K
hahahahaha

aznsiko
25-10-2004, 11:38 PM
its not good to drive ur car as soon as u start on cold engine.. u gotta let it warm up.. this is wen u park it for a long tym all the oil runds down to the sump.. so wen u jus start and drive.. not much oil is pushed up yet so ur jus causing engine wear... so u need to let it warm up so all oil and stuff is up and gud to drive..

steve_civic
26-10-2004, 12:24 AM
totally agree with warming up the car. But also keep in mind that excessive idling can isnt good for your car either. So a minute or two is good enough

bubblecivic
26-10-2004, 12:46 AM
why is excess idling bad for your car?
i usually let my dual carb warm up for like 5 mins lol

linkorr
26-10-2004, 08:39 AM
lol :p u guys need to use CASTROL MAGNATEC!! With its fully synthetic blend of specialized formula, it clings to your engine even when it's turned off. So, at first start, less wear is cause to the insides of your engine! :p

type one
26-10-2004, 08:45 AM
you watch too much TV LOLLLL

Savant
26-10-2004, 11:39 AM
only on the real cold mornings there is a need to warm your car up. And even then, no need to do it all the way to operating temperature, just until the needle starts to move ~60 seconds. A good way is to get into your car, start it up THEN get comfortable ie. put seatbelt on, put bag in the back, put a good cd in etc. That usually takes about a minute to do.

During hotter months no need to warm it up. Just don't go into VTEC until it is at operating temperature.

dc2r
26-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Warm up a new car for one minute before driving... Then drive it slowly with no VTEC... By driving it around "normally" for about 5 minutes, you're warming up the drivetrain also.

If you warm up until normal temperature then fang it straight away, your drivetrain is not yet warmed up and you may cause damage there... That's why its important to warm up the engine for a minute, then drive your car slowly for about 5-10 minutes til you get the engine to normal temperature...

davey
26-10-2004, 01:21 PM
i warm up all the time, tho sometimes you cant cos your late but i believe you should do it as much as possible. it allows the oils to circulate, and limit engine wear.

on a cold start my car normally revs up to about 1600rpm and i take off when it drops down to 1000rpm and because the temperature needle in the morning is below the cold line, at 1000rpm it sits right on it though i still dont fang the car until it gets to operating temp.

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Your oil becomes less viscous (more like water, not as thick) when it warms up. It gives you more power and is easily pumped around by the engine. The most damage done to an engine is when it is cold.

The Accord Euro has a great feature that when you start up in the morning, it runs rich to warm up the engine. It only does this when the engine is cold, not all the time. Technology.........

FANATK
26-10-2004, 01:53 PM
im with davey, i allow the revs to drop to 1k before driving it and take it ez till the temp is normal

linkorr
26-10-2004, 02:06 PM
The Accord Euro has a great feature that when you start up in the morning, it runs rich to warm up the engine. It only does this when the engine is cold, not all the time. Technology.........

I think most new cars can do this. My 1995 Nissan could do it. Back the it was still a carby. If not.. then the must have been something seriously wrong with my cars. haha :p

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 02:09 PM
yeah, but I think this is programed into the computer! My nissan just runs like snot in the mornings untill it warms up!

2ds
26-10-2004, 02:10 PM
as people have noted, don't idle your car for too long, you still need to warm up your drive train (gearbox, etc) and idling doesn't do this....

-2ds

monstaR
26-10-2004, 02:16 PM
I usually warm up my car like for 5-10 mins b4 starting off but the type R manual say that the car do not need to be warmed up? Funny :D

aka_NSX
26-10-2004, 02:28 PM
this is what I heard, with Honda you only need to warm up if you only drive the car in a very close distance then you park the car after that, it wont damage the engine but you will make the muffler rusted quicker because all the water is still inside otherwise its fine, I never warm up my Honda and never got any problem with all of them

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 02:38 PM
you won't have any problems with newer cars, but if your car is really old, you get problems.

00dc2
26-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Remember that your engine warms up faster at higher revs, so idling at 1000rpm till the temps go all the way up means your car has spent 5-10 minutes running at low temp.

So it can be argued that your better off by revving the engine a bit more to help it warm up faster.

I let it warm up till the revs fall to 1500rpm, then drive it slowly (keeping revs under 4k) till the temp rises. This also warms the drive train up together with the engine.

Boost
27-10-2004, 03:51 PM
If in doubt: warm car up for 1-2mins, drive slowly to allow parts to warm up to norm operating temps. Try not to make short trips, especially on cold days as the moist air during cold mornings condensates inside exhuast pipes etc. causing it to rust quicker. Use good lube, something not to thick to allow easy flow on high revs. (vtec) especially for those who drive on vtec every gear (and so that the next buyer of your car doesnt not end up with a dud cause you neglected the car) and service car regularly... that way the car will run as smooth as a babys bottom.

integrica
04-11-2004, 11:33 AM
ok so ive heard some people say that idling for to long is bad for the car but with no explanation..... can anyone tell me why its bad?

Sico
04-11-2004, 08:42 PM
does warming up the car have any thing to do with compression and the computer??

cause what im saying is, is that when i turn the car on dont let it warm up slow once at operating temp its got less power, then if i leave it for a few min and do it slow.

Type R Positive
05-11-2004, 12:21 PM
ok so ive heard some people say that idling for to long is bad for the car but with no explanation..... can anyone tell me why its bad? I think they refer to overheating while stationary. No airflow through the radiator to cool it down and the problem is worse with the airconditioner on. Watch your temp guage while stuck in macca's drive through.

Type R Positive
05-11-2004, 12:25 PM
does warming up the car have any thing to do with compression and the computer??

cause what im saying is, is that when i turn the car on dont let it warm up slow once at operating temp its got less power, then if i leave it for a few min and do it slow. I think I've read in the manual that the computer makes it run rich to warm up. I don't know about having less power at "operating temp" if you don't let it warm up? Maybe your oil is not warmed up enough.

16CTEG
07-11-2004, 09:25 PM
lol....! @ vtc

the car warms up faster when it's under load. So its okay to drive while it's warming up. Just don't go vtec-ing before you've reach proper operating temp.
u are right about it's ok for the car to warm up by driving it noramlly but u really should keep the revs low nothig over 2000 rpm, cos the car idoling to warm up is almost 2000 rpm anyways. but ur quoate about don't go vtec-ing is not right, becos if ur oil is not up to temperature the engine wont let the vtec solinoid ingage the vtec so theoretically u can't hit vtec when car oil and engine is still cold!

16CTEG
07-11-2004, 09:30 PM
lol :p u guys need to use CASTROL MAGNATEC!! With its fully synthetic blend of specialized formula, it clings to your engine even when it's turned off. So, at first start, less wear is cause to the insides of your engine! :p
castrol magnatec is a load of crrraaappp, castrol puts all their money into marketing and not into the oil if they did put it into the oil then it'd actually be good. mobile is beta alot beta. but still only honda knows honda best so i am with genuine honda FEO! and besides i work at hodna so i get free honda feo to service my car whenever i want. so i've been serviciing every 1000 - 2000 km's

Savant
08-11-2004, 03:53 PM
I think they refer to overheating while stationary. No airflow through the radiator to cool it down and the problem is worse with the airconditioner on. Watch your temp guage while stuck in macca's drive through.

That's why they put fans behind the radiator, to create airflow.

Type R Positive
09-11-2004, 09:30 AM
That's why they put fans behind the radiator, to create airflow.Yes, but radiator fans don't cool down the engine bay.

edw-R
26-11-2004, 04:17 AM
Yeah. Engine oil have working temperature. When you go to the optimal temp, you will get most power.

majic777
26-11-2004, 12:26 PM
ok so ive heard some people say that idling for to long is bad for the car but with no explanation..... can anyone tell me why its bad?
less oil is thrown upto pistons and cylinder walls when idling