PDA

View Full Version : DC2 ITR Stock flywheel onto DC2 Vti-R??

fabian0
14-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Hi guys, i've got a '98 dc2, and i might be thinking of replacing the clutch or flywheel since the gearbox is going to be taken out soon.

Need to clarify a coupla points:
1. itr flywheel is 14lbs, and vtir is 18lbs. are the figures correct?
2. would a stock dc2 ITR flywheel fit into my dc2? currently running with stock clutch too.
3. If my clutch turns out fine, would a lightened flywheel alone compliment the stock setup and see faster revving?

Cheers

GSi_PSi
14-03-2009, 03:19 PM
2. Yes it would.
3. Yes lightened flywheel is very noticable.

Get a Heavy Duty Excedy as its only like 100 more than Standard lasts 2X longer and grips heaps better.

geeang
14-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Get an Exedy/other lightweight flywheel @ 9.82lbs, will notice a HUGE difference throughout the rev range.

midnightdood
15-03-2009, 04:48 AM
With the 10lb flywheel would there be any significant difference with in gear acceleration ? *esp in the higher gears ?*

Get an Exedy/other lightweight flywheel @ 9.82lbs, will notice a HUGE difference throughout the rev range.

geeang
15-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Yes, and Yes.

Since there is such a large difference in the rotational mass of such a critical piece of the drivetrain, you will feel a noticeable difference in not online the pickup, but also in the drop of revs throughout the range.
You will need to rev match much more with a lightened flywheel since the revs drop quicker than normal (no weight to keep the momentum going), however for the same reason (no weight/momentum to hold back movement) the revs will climb faster as well.

Driving in a completely stock car vs. driving the same completely stock car but with a lightened flywheel, it's really like comparing day to night.

VTECMACHINE
15-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Toda flywheels are the shiz. Get one of those. You will notice a massive difference in engine breaking and response, due to reduced inertia. You will NOT however gain power or Torque, like some people think.

Also, if you are going to change the flywheel, the clutch will need to be changed, even if there is heaps of meat on it. Same concept with Brake pads and brake rotors. The clutch plate needs to bed in with the flywheel. Hense why a flywheel is machined flat when installing a new clutch.
So, if you are going to get a Type R flywheel, have that machined before you put it in, and put in a new clutch with that.

geeang
15-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Toda flywheels are the shiz. Get one of those. You will notice a massive difference in engine breaking and response, due to reduced inertia. You will NOT however gain power or Torque, like some people think.

Also, if you are going to change the flywheel, the clutch will need to be changed, even if there is heaps of meat on it. Same concept with Brake pads and brake rotors. The clutch plate needs to bed in with the flywheel. Hense why a flywheel is machined flat when installing a new clutch.
So, if you are going to get a Type R flywheel, have that machined before you put it in, and put in a new clutch with that.

Good stuff, I should probably have made that clearer in my post too.
As VTECMACHINE says, there's no power to be gained with a lightweight flywheel, it just revs much faster as it makes the drivetrain much more 'efficient' at delivering power you already have on hand. :wave:

aaronng
15-03-2009, 11:53 AM
VTECMACHINE is right, you won't gain peak power. However, if you compare the dyno, there will be a slight gain in torque in the low to mid range because you are reducing the parasitic mechanical losses caused by the heavier flywheel. The effect is more obvious in the lower gears because the flywheel is located before the gearbox. So because of torque multiplication of the lower gears, regaining only 5 Nm at the flywheel can result in 71.7 Nm gain at the gearbox output assuming you had a 4.1 final drive and a 3.5 ratio first gear.

But when you reach the point of peak power, the torque gain is diminished and it will be very similar to the stock flywheel, especially if you are comparing the higher gears.

fabian0
16-03-2009, 02:28 PM
thanks for all the much needed info guys!

i guess the 4lbs difference with the stock ITR flywheel would be enough for my car.

aaronng
16-03-2009, 03:05 PM
thanks for all the much needed info guys!

i guess the 4lbs difference with the stock ITR flywheel would be enough for my car.
Are you sure you will be satisfied? I went from a silly heavy flywheel (on the Euro) to a 9 lbs Exedy lightweight and I still want more. Unless you are getting the ITR flywheel for cheap, you might as well go for the Exedy lightweight fly.

dudeling7
16-03-2009, 03:13 PM
yeh man get something even lighter....4lbs difference isnt much, this is a great mod to do to the car probably one of the best ive done so far

VTECMACHINE
16-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Definately go for the Toda/Exedy flywheel, the holes are closer to the outside, than Spoon and stuff. I think the exedy one is the same, as Toda clutchs are rebranded Exedy (Exedy are rebranded Daiken), I also think the flywheel is a rebranded exedy. Exedy will be cheaper than Toda.

You'll want more than a Type R flywheel. I promise... Anyways, I think I have a Type R flywheel though if you want it for like $75.

lil_foy
17-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Definately go for the Toda/Exedy flywheel, the holes are closer to the outside, than Spoon and stuff. I think the exedy one is the same, as Toda clutchs are rebranded Exedy (Exedy are rebranded Daiken), I also think the flywheel is a rebranded exedy. Exedy will be cheaper than Toda.

You'll want more than a Type R flywheel. I promise... Anyways, I think I have a Type R flywheel though if you want it for like $75.

Finally someone who realises.
Because the weight has been taken further out the car has to push less to spin the flywheel.

Think of a rock of a string thats 50cm long. Spin around with it and its hard to spin until you get movement. Then hold the rock agaisnt your chest and spin. Its alot easier.

I tbh will be going spoon because of the weight. Unless I can find a cheap exedy one. Speaking of which, were do you guys buy them from? I called up some places and they said they dont stock them.

aaronng
17-03-2009, 08:49 AM
I tbh will be going spoon because of the weight. Unless I can find a cheap exedy one. Speaking of which, were do you guys buy them from? I called up some places and they said they dont stock them.
Just get them to order it in. Doubt there will be shops holding stock, especially in today's economy.

rbk_212
20-03-2009, 08:36 PM
guys noob question but doesnt reducing the flywheel weight by so much make the car a pig for daily driving, like how much do you need to rev the car to take off?

my understanding was that a light flywheel will reduce the torque to the wheels down low, but everyone i seem to read on these forums thinks 8lb flywheels are the shit.
like my mate has a swift gti (torqueless barge i know but bear with me) he has to like rev the **** of the car to get it off the line and hates driving around with it so much hes going back to stock, and he only lightened his flywheel by 1 kg!

can someone clear this up for me?

aaronng
20-03-2009, 08:58 PM
guys noob question but doesnt reducing the flywheel weight by so much make the car a pig for daily driving, like how much do you need to rev the car to take off?

my understanding was that a light flywheel will reduce the torque to the wheels down low, but everyone i seem to read on these forums thinks 8lb flywheels are the shit.
like my mate has a swift gti (torqueless barge i know but bear with me) he has to like rev the **** of the car to get it off the line and hates driving around with it so much hes going back to stock, and he only lightened his flywheel by 1 kg!

can someone clear this up for me?

You need a bit more throttle to take off. That's it. You don't really need more RPM.

The lightweight flywheel does not reduce torque down low. You just need more throttle because when you release the clutch, the revs can drop too low if you are not giving some throttle because of the lower inertia of the lightweight flywheel. I went from 18 lbs to 9lbs and didn't notice a problem other just needing a bit more throttle when taking off. Everything else is better, including going uphill because there is more torque freed up at low rpm and low gear.

How did your mate reduce 1kg from the flywheel? If he machined it off, it might not have been done properly.

string
20-03-2009, 09:44 PM
A lighter flywheel has less momentum not inertia. One is a quantity the other is a concept.

EGJOE
20-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Are you sure you will be satisfied? I went from a silly heavy flywheel (on the Euro) to a 9 lbs Exedy lightweight and I still want more. Unless you are getting the ITR flywheel for cheap, you might as well go for the Exedy lightweight fly.

Aaronng quick question, So if i change to like say a toda flywheel will my torque curve drop anywhere? Compared to an itr one?

string
20-03-2009, 10:04 PM
You don't lose torque. Lighter flywheel is quicker everywhere and always.

The downsides are all daily driver details. Rougher take-off and gear changes; and bumps and dips will affect your engine speed far more drastically than if you had a more massive rotating assembly.

EGJOE
20-03-2009, 10:05 PM
so weekend car driven hard would suit lightened flywheel fine ?

dudeling7
20-03-2009, 11:53 PM
^ Yes definitly man!

i got a 3kg fidanza one from the states and its absolutely amazing, it totally transformed my car.

yes you need to give more throttle when getting off the line but other than that it's better in every way!

sometimes i gotta blip the throttle on upshifts because its so light but it really doesnt bother me, you will get used to it instantly. it makes downshifting, rev matching, engine response all amazing haha.

aaronng
21-03-2009, 12:53 AM
so weekend car driven hard would suit lightened flywheel fine ?

Mine is a daily driver that is driven both gently and hard. Using a 4.1kg lightweight flywheel with no problems. People tend to associate the lightweight flywheel with a loss of drivability, but that is caused by them changing to a ceramic or a stronger biting clutch at the same time.

fabian0
21-03-2009, 01:51 AM
very informative guys!!! cheers

EGJOE
21-03-2009, 08:02 AM
so a high clamping brass button clutch combined with lightenfly wheel is more tricky/ harder to drive?

VTECMACHINE
21-03-2009, 11:33 AM
You can bearly notice it in terms of it being bad for daily driving. It's awesome, so don't be soft, and get a light flywheel :D

EGJOE
21-03-2009, 01:14 PM
down on my to do list i'll see how it goes with my 5 puck brass button ..............

VTECMACHINE
21-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Farrrqqqq... How much power have you got, that you need a 5 puk brass button clutch?

EGJOE
21-03-2009, 01:29 PM
hmm im just use to it always driven on puck clutches most of the boys in the group do about 2200 pressure plate works well :thumbsup:

rbk_212
23-03-2009, 05:15 PM
You need a bit more throttle to take off. That's it. You don't really need more RPM.

The lightweight flywheel does not reduce torque down low. You just need more throttle because when you release the clutch, the revs can drop too low if you are not giving some throttle because of the lower inertia of the lightweight flywheel. I went from 18 lbs to 9lbs and didn't notice a problem other just needing a bit more throttle when taking off. Everything else is better, including going uphill because there is more torque freed up at low rpm and low gear.

How did your mate reduce 1kg from the flywheel? If he machined it off, it might not have been done properly.

yes his flywheel was machined.

your all convincing me but i think ill just be machining mine and not going uber lightweight fidanza style:P