PDA

View Full Version : Oil for bikes

splash1
14-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Hey guys,
i've got a cbr 250rr and was just wondering what oil you guys use in your bikes?
thanks

mekros
15-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Bike specific oils. Car engine oils usually have friction reducing additives which doesn't work too well with wet clutches.

Check your manual, workshop manual or your gearbox cover to see what grade oil is recommended.

Gawdam
15-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I used Motul 5100 10w 50.
supposedly one of the best.. but didn't have any noticeable difference between what was already in the bike.

gumbs
16-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Bike specific oils. Car engine oils usually have friction reducing additives which doesn't work too well with wet clutches.

Check your manual, workshop manual or your gearbox cover to see what grade oil is recommended.

Those oils are pretty few and far between, just use your standard 10w40 that you use in your car. Your ridding a cbr250 it isn't going to make the slightest difference.

DLO01
16-03-2009, 07:58 PM
supposedly one of the best.. but didn't have any noticeable difference between what was already in the bike.

Meee tooo! :thumbsup:

Type R Positive
17-03-2009, 09:26 AM
I used to use that, it is a good semi-synthetic oil for $50/4L.
I have gone to Silkolene Pro 4, fully synthetic oil. Costs $70/4L and seems to last / stays in better condition longer.

I use 15w50 in my bikes.

bennjamin
17-03-2009, 11:12 AM
+ 1 vote for motul 5100

rodericb
21-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Don't use car oils as they can contain friction modifiers. Motorcycles use the same oil in the engine, gearbox and clutch and the friction modifiers may cause some ill effects with your clutch (no friction, no grip, no go).

Just get some proper motorcycle oil from a motorcycle shop, Shell, Mobil, Motul etc. They will have oils which have no friction modifiers. 10w40 will probably be okay and I'd be inclined to use a synthetic as they usually have greater shear resistance than mineral based oils (doesn't get "worn out" as quick).

aimre
22-03-2009, 02:26 AM
I just use wat ever is cheaperst. But thats cos i change it every 1000ks

gumbs
30-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Don't use car oils as they can contain friction modifiers. Motorcycles use the same oil in the engine, gearbox and clutch and the friction modifiers may cause some ill effects with your clutch (no friction, no grip, no go)

Is this from first hand experience? Or did someone tell you this? Was this someone trying to sell you bike oil?

There are a few car oils with friction modifiers but not many, ask any old bloke that's been riding for years what he uses. It will always be car oil, why pay 3 times the price for a good bike oil when a good car oil will do the same job.

Provided it doesn't say energy conserving you will be fine.

Henessaayyy
30-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Is this from first hand experience? Or did someone tell you this? Was this someone trying to sell you bike oil?

There are a few car oils with friction modifiers but not many, ask any old bloke that's been riding for years what he uses. It will always be car oil, why pay 3 times the price for a good bike oil when a good car oil will do the same job.

Totally agree, I had abit of car oil in the old cibby back when I had it :P
Was too Jew to buy the proper stuff!

bennjamin
30-03-2009, 08:40 PM
anyone use honda FEO on their CBR ?
Its within range - alittle thinner hot than honda recommends but i couldnt get a solid reason "why not?" from the blokes from MCAs

Type R Positive
31-03-2009, 11:23 AM
anyone use honda FEO on their CBR ?
Its within range - alittle thinner hot than honda recommends but i couldnt get a solid reason "why not?" from the blokes from MCAs
2 words why not = wet clutch. ;)

bennjamin
31-03-2009, 04:01 PM
2 words why not = wet clutch. ;)

Well aware it has a wet clutch. You have not answered the question for our databases sake.

rodericb
31-03-2009, 09:02 PM

I'm a bit old and I've been using motorcycle oils in my four stroke bikes for eighteen years. In the big brands (Shell etc) they're usually around the same price as equivalent car oil. I remember ads for car oils at the time advertising that they had friction modifiers included - it was a selling point of the oil. Friction modifiers are different to anti-wear additives. Ha ha, I wouldn't be surprised if oil manufacturers don't add it in nowdays to make the manufacturing costs lower (more profit)! Anyway, my main bike has a dry clutch so it doesn't matter what oil goes into it.

Here are some links about friction modifiers:
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/motorcycle_oil_technical_facts.htm (sponsored by Amsoil so bear that in mind)
http://articles.webraydian.com/article7901-The_True_Difference_between_Motorcycle_Oil_and_Aut omotive_Oil.html

sifnt
07-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Was too Jew to buy the proper stuff![/QUOTE]

classic

thorswhisper
14-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Amsoil motorcycle specific, wet clutch compatible, damn good filters to, but hard to beat the ones from Honda. You spend the money for a bike, the cost of oil shouldnt really be a concern. You get what you pay for.....

Type R Positive
19-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Well aware it has a wet clutch. You have not answered the question for our databases sake.
A bit late for ya but the FEO I got is a API SJ rated oil.

You need a JASO MA oil, or API SE/SF/SG oil. Jaso MA oil is equivalent to API SG.

"Higher performance engine oils such as API SJ thru SM will contain some level of friction modifier. While the friction modifier improves fuel economy, it is not compatible with wet clutches used on motorcycles. The friction modifier causes the wet clutch to slip. This is especially true if the motorcycle manufacturer recommends using only engine oils carrying API SF or SG Service Categories.
API recommends following the Original Equipment Manufacturer's (OEMs) oil recommendations. Typically an API SJ through SM engine oil would include some friction modifier. Only if the [motorcycle's] OEM indicates that higher performance engine oils such as API SJ, API SL and API SM it is possible to use these engine oils in these motorcycles."