PDA

View Full Version : clutch tips

sunnyl
17-03-2009, 10:58 PM
My gen 1 CRV has done ~225,000km, and the factory clutch is almost completely gone (a good effort?)

I spent a week or two trying to hunt down a manual 08 CRV to replace it when I was tossing between getting the clutch replaced or a new car altogether - but like the other thread said, they seem to be rare...with most of the dealers just telling me at least April/May before any stock would come.

But I really couldn't wait that long with an ailing clutch, so now its at the mechanic's for a clutch replacement and service.

Any tips on prolonging clutch life? Obviously things like not hanging on it or keeping your foot on it while driving...are there lesser known things that can be done to avoid wear?

slidetaker
23-03-2009, 08:52 AM
My gen 1 CRV has done ~225,000km, and the factory clutch is almost completely gone (a good effort?)
Any tips on prolonging clutch life? Obviously things like not hanging on it or keeping your foot on it while driving...are there lesser known things that can be done to avoid wear?

My gen 1 has done 250k km, still original clutch, some wear but definitely still some meat left....

My tips are just drive smoothly and don't use the clutch for deceleration like some people try to teach you when doing engine braking...

The car is general fine, but the radiator is giving me trouble. Those cheap Chinese radiators are no good at all....

Type S Tony
23-03-2009, 09:05 AM

I spent a week or two trying to hunt down a manual 08 CRV to replace it when I was tossing between getting the clutch replaced or a new car altogether - but like the other thread said, they seem to be rare...with most of the dealers just telling me at least April/May before any stock would come.

But I really couldn't wait that long with an ailing clutch, so now its at the mechanic's for a clutch replacement and service.

If your car has managed 225,000km on the original clutch my tip to you is keep driving the way your driving!

eght
23-03-2009, 10:25 PM
225,000kms is a hell lot. Audi clutches are expected to last 80,000kms if that makes you feel better:)

sunnyl
24-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone, its good to know it lasted! The mechanic showed me the clutch disc and friction material left (which there was none!)

I've always wondered...would there be a difference between wear/tear in coasting in gear but clutch disengaged and coasting in neutral with the clutch engaged?