PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia rs125

lHlonda
18-03-2009, 02:18 PM
anyone got? i need feedback on this bike asap...close to getting one. the dealer said if ur a in-experienced rider, i shouldnt get it, since its a 2stroke.
can someone explain the "main" difference between 2stroke and 4stroke?

timizkool
18-03-2009, 02:29 PM
For a 2 stroke you really gotta rev it to move
So if you are a noob its no good as you may be uncomfortable revving the fk outta the bike when you are still trying to grasp the fundamentals of riding

Basically you have to be a confident rider as you will have to keep the bike at its power band to move in traffic

lHlonda
18-03-2009, 02:38 PM
hmmm right~ tyty
so i guess its the cibby then...

Tu88y
18-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Mate go test ride the bike before saying yes or no

just bare in mine two strokes more maintenance required

Frankie
18-03-2009, 04:02 PM
2 Stroke 125 is more powerful than a 125 4 stroke, but need more maintenance, It is a bit like a rotary engine but more reliable

DC2108
18-03-2009, 07:20 PM
hey there buddy i have a 07 rs125 so do 2 other mates well heres the down low
pros-
looks good
feels sporty(good seat position)
good power to weight
digital cluster (looks more updated then the older bikes)
cons-
sounds like shit(2 stroke)
can get hard to start on very cold days
maintenance

being a 2 stroke they do need to be service more often but its so simple to DIY the service its just engine oil no oil filter or gearbox oil in saying that they do need rebuild about every 20 000km becouse this little 125cc makes almost as much power as some 250cc
my 2c . i was gonna buy a CBR250RR/ninja etc but then i chose the rs125 becouse i think it look very good for a learners bike plus performance is good also has a power band kinda like VTEC lolz dont get me rong i like honda my next bike is a 07 CBR600RR

hope it help and you should test ride all befor you chose

mekros
19-03-2009, 05:07 AM
A two stroke is like a rotary engine, not much torque, loves to rev and produces peak power in a "powerband".

They are a piston ported engine (rather than valve on a 4 stroke), and are mechanically much simpler to work on. Due to the simple design the bikes themselves are much lighter too. Remember to keep topping up the two stroke oil!

If you're willing to do the mechanical work yourself and spend money on quality synthetic two stroke oil, then they are a fun bike. Top ends are done around the 12-15 000km, bottom end 25-30 000km. Parts may take some time to get through a dealer, so it's best to buy from the UK.

What do you want to use the bike for? As fun as they are, it's best to try all the bikes available and see what one you feel most comfortable on and suits your needs.

What did you want to know specifically in your question about the "main difference between 2 & 4 stroke engines"?

lo0se3r
19-03-2009, 09:39 AM
should have a read of some of the stuff on here first

hope twin cam doesnt mind me posting this here

Hope this helps bud...

Info and Opinions

* CBR250/250R/250RR - 250cc, 4 stroke, sports bike which is popular with most L platers going for a mix of speed and looks. Majority of these bikes are imported (also called a Grey Import) and because of this have gone through about 30 other people before you lay your hands on one. There are Aussie delivered cibbys (CBR's) which from what im told range from 1997-1999 and were imported directly by Honda Australia and sold as new (production on all CBR's actually ended in 1996). Preferably, go for an Aussie del bike, as its less likely to have been wound back by an importer, but chances are it's been wound back anyways. Anything less than 40,000 kms is asking for a bit much for a 20 year old bike... so keep an eye out for wear and tear on things like the chain/sprokets/cracks in frame/slide marks on anything but fairings.

The RR's are the newest version of the CBR250's above, differences between two... (thanks to cbr250.com)

** CBR250R (MC19) **Engine: 249cc, 4 stroke, 4cyl inline, 16 valve DOHC
Redline @ 18,000rpm
Chassis/Frame: More upright seating position, engine higher up.
Brakes: Single disc front and rear

** CBR250RR (MC22) **
Engine: 249cc, 4 stroke, 4cyl inline, 16 valve DOHC
Redline @ 19,000rpm
Chassis/Frame: Frame was different, lower seating position, curved rear arm
Brakes: Twin discs front, single disc rear

Some good equivalents would be bikes like the ZZR250's, GPX250's or the ZX2R. A lot cheaper than many lemon CBR's going around. You could also try out the highest selling bike of 2008, the Kawasaki 250R Ninja, which looks awesome, there are heaps to choose from, and you get a decent package for the price you pay (Yes! Aussie delivered and most still have factory warranty!)

** 2 Stroke / 4 Stroke **
Now before I tell you about our 2 stroke NSR, ill clarify the difference. The most simple way to put it is that a two stroke basically involves oil being fed into the motor WITH the fuel supply, whereas a 4 stroke has a separate resovoir to hold oil and lubricates pistons etc from the outside. 2 stroke does this in reverse (to some extent).

Normally, with a 2 stroke lawnmower, whippersnipper, or anything in your shed, you would have to mix the fuel you buy with a certain % of oil before filling your tank up. Thankfully, the smart Japs realised that people wouldnt be too happy constantly measuring up oil:fuel ratios every time they filled, so two stroke bikes have a separate tank for fuel and oil which automatically mixes as you ride.

* NSR150 - 150cc, 2 stroke, 1 cyl, light, about 130kg... but produces power similar to a 250cc 4 stroke, but similar to our vtakkk its going to take a while to rev it out to get that power. Even taking off from a stop start will take a bit of revving to get moving, and if you weight 90kg+, its just going to take longer. They are also getting old now, and 2 strokes are less efficient, and harder to manage than a 4 stroke (Think rotary:cylinder for a good idea). Some other bikes in the same class are the RS125 (Aprilia), and Cagiva 125 which are a hell of a lot newer, but higher priced ($6000+).

* CBR125 - 125cc, 4 stroke, about 115kg so lighter than most but a lot newer and a lot LESS powered (9.5kw @ motor baby!). This thing is not suitable for Australian roads, its not going to haul the average aussie male around. If your 60kg, your power to weight ratio is going to be around 50kw/tonne lol...

When looking for a bike... Pay attention to the small details and look past the pretty fairings... its easy to clean up a bike, get new fairings, paint it. put some team repsol stickers on it, only to still have the same uncared for bike that they cracked in the first place...

If you are a heavy bloke, probably wouldnt reccomend getting any of the above, the cibby will get you around but maybe consider a decent 400cc or maybe a 500/650 even? If you can look past the hekticness of riding a 250cc superbike :p then maybe go for an easier to ride naked bike like the VTR250? Naked bikes (ones that dont have the plastics around the motor and radiator) are a lot easier to ride during your l's test as well... remember, turning in a sportsbike is a lot more restricted than most others. If you have a bad back or you are tall like me, you might get some issues with bending over all the time. My mates usually kick the air, and stretch on rides every 5 mins. Also, try to test out a bike before you commit to buying one, it may be harder for you as a learner, but if you are serious and nice enough, and have some cash for them to hold and smell as you ride it around, they should be alright...

lHlonda
19-03-2009, 02:26 PM
thanks for all the feedback guys~ really appreciate it,

D4rk4n63l
20-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I got an 06 model.. unrestricted..

It does require a little bit more attention, but I'm fine with it..
gearbox oil needs checking every now and then.. and make sure you use the best 2 stroke oil. Other then that, its almost the same as any other bikes.

Sounds like a lawnmower, but I put an Arrow pipe on mine and it now screams.. lol
nah, sounds more like a broken lawnmower.. but hey, I like it :D

Go and test ride one.. then after you bought it, we'll setup a ride day for RS125 owners :P

c0LL1n
20-03-2009, 11:53 PM
I currently own a CBR250RR, and ive ridden a couple too. So i can compare those bikes to a Aprilia RS125, which i have ridden also.
The seating position is a lot better than most learner sport bikes (im guessin thats the type of bike your looking at). They are very light and nimble, easy to just change direction when you need to. Once they hit that powerband, it just pulls prob better than a CBR250RR. But like what the others have said, down low it's pretty gutless.
They are pretty easy bikes to ride IMO, they easily keep up and with 250's and bigger capacity bikes on the twisties. Ive seen 2 stroke 125's beat 600's and 1L's around a track and twisties, just keep it in that powerband... :D

In the end its up to you to decide which is the best bike for yourself, best to test ride it and compare it to other bikes that you are looking at. Personally after riding a RS125 i prob would have chosen it over my CBR, but yes maintainance/servicing may be a bitch but then again when does owning something 'sporty' doesnt have these extra costs!

EuroAccord13
21-03-2009, 12:34 AM
My mate's got one, in short, the bike itself is almost to the specs as the one they race on MotoGP... Rev too low and the bikes stalls, rev too much and not play the clutch properly, you will launch so hard your helmet will flip back ... That's what he said to me :).. It's not a beginner's bike, same with the Cagiva Mito.

rodericb
21-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but if you're not really aware of the difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke engine you might be better off with the CBR125. They're half the price, probably four times more reliable and are made for learners (easy to ride). When you're confident on a CBR125, study up on the two stroke 125's and have a ride of the RS125 and see if it's something you'd like.

For an experienced rider the RS125 is a tonne of fun. I've ridden a couple of 125 two stroke sports bikes (Aprilia RS125 and Gilera CX125) a few years ago and loved the GP bike feel (and smell from the exhaust!). A bit of upkeep is required and they can be a bit expensive to run. They're great as a weekend toy.

DC2108
21-03-2009, 10:57 PM
CBR125R = fail !

MrJohn
24-03-2009, 11:29 PM
just get a cbr250rr ull love it.. it was my first bike

trust me u dont want 125cc ones.. they're very say slow not saying u should go fast but yeah u want some fun get cbr250rr as a first bike easy to ride too. getting a 125cc ones pretty much waste ur money kinda hard to sell at the end