PDA

View Full Version : CD5 Driveshaft

kccord
19-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey guys, i'm wondering if this is Accord CD5 Manual common problem, as you are about to take off you would release the clutch and forward the accelerator pedal. As soon as you car moving, does something sounded like the drive shaft goes "clunk" or "click"?

This only happens during start and less during braking and more predominantly during traffic jams where you start and stop. It seems like to sound like the driveshaft is locking into place or some sort. Doesn't happen to automatic accord coz their drive shaft is always under load as soon as they put it into Drive.

Cheers in advance

interfooler
19-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Not too sure about manual. But in my automatic, whenever I shift from N to D there's a 2 second delay before the car starts moving. Something like what you mention there, but no noise, just the feeling of the gear slotting into place after a brief delay from N to D.

kccord
19-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Not too sure about manual. But in my automatic, whenever I shift from N to D there's a 2 second delay before the car starts moving. Something like what you mention there, but no noise, just the feeling of the gear slotting into place after a brief delay from N to D.

I guess that's normal :)

timmy_k
20-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Ive had my CD for a few weeks now and nothing of that nature, actually find it very smooth when taking off and stopping/starting. Might be worth getting it checked out if it gets more noticable. Cheers

kccord
20-03-2009, 10:27 PM
cheers :)

FAT VTI
22-03-2009, 10:43 AM

same as mine...

zero_1234567890
29-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Not a diff problem?

xenonkuraz
30-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I've owned two CD5's and have never had such problem. Maybe worth checking it out before it gets worse.

kccord
30-10-2009, 12:06 PM
A bit of a late post but apparently it's common for Honda. Could be the diff gears have a normal slight freeplay to mesh and yes you won't hear it on auto's because the drivetrain is always preloaded at all times unless you're in P or N. I also checked with my friends auto Honda oddesey with F23A, car doesn't make any clunk noise on drive but wooahhh, once you jack the wheel up, I realised there are much more predominant free play.

Anywho, I built my accord and installed custom driveshaft. Got LSD and still making that slight noise, 290fwhp 385nm still happy and no probs.

phatt_eg
14-12-2009, 10:13 AM
The noise is coming from your engine mounts. once the engine mounts wear out the metal starts to tap because there is no rubber. propbably the rear mounts

kccord
15-12-2009, 07:11 PM
The noise is coming from your engine mounts. once the engine mounts wear out the metal starts to tap because there is no rubber. propbably the rear mounts

Cheers for your input, but you seem to be 100% dead sure that the noise is coming from the engine mount, I mean, who can so sure analyse sound without hearing it?? Not, trying to knock it off but you can be right and the noise can also be directed to engine mounts (F&R) but this will associate with hard shifting, loud clunk noise on any load and wheels hop during launch attempts.

Lower and upper ball joints can cause moderate constant clunks

Loose Sway Bar mount and worn suspension components cause clunks as well.

As mentioned, I put the car on jack stands and rotate the wheel WITH ENGINE OFF. As I jerk it, I can hear the clunk sound from transmission/diff area. The sound was less predominant after I fitted LSD and there was no wear/chips on the final drive. My friend's accord and odyssey both auto and manual makes the same sound.

Ball Joints/Sway bar links/F&R Engine Mount/Suspension are top notch.

I'm leaning towards a minute freeplay in the FD within factory specs. Had the car for almost 2 years, and many hard launches after turbo didn't do any trouble. ;)