PDA

View Full Version : Engine Options, Which is best?

James Dean
19-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey all.

I am seriously considering getting ahold of honda engine and placing it into my 1965 Morris Mini.

The options for engines i have.

K Series.
D Series.
B Series.

So my questions are.

Which engine from which series is the best? (Keeping in mind it will be in a FWD setup (just in case one of these engines was placed in a RWD setup))

What engine is the most best bang for your buck?

Also if i slap a Vtec on one of these (do they come stock?) how hard would it to be to tune it with boost? Most probably a blower.

Thank you.

beeza
19-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Hmmmmm,soooo many options,which way to go....

What you need to do James Dean is work out what you want from an engine and go from there.It's the only way.

Type S Tony
19-03-2009, 04:08 PM
If you slap a V-Tech on theres no need for boost, it give you like 25 pound anyway!

yourfather
19-03-2009, 04:10 PM
B16A or B18C is better bang for buck and has been done a lot

James Dean
19-03-2009, 04:14 PM
If you slap a V-Tech on theres no need for boost, it give you like 25 pound anyway!

I know im not an expert but Vtec is not a substitute for boost. :rolls eyes:

Hmm... im not entirely sure what i want, i'm hoping to pull maybe 150kw probably less as i will be getting grip but maybe 130kw the power to weight ratio will just be insane.

I also want an engine that can handle boost. Obviously after a forged rebuild.

Type S Tony
19-03-2009, 04:24 PM

Hmm... im not entirely sure what i want, i'm hoping to pull maybe 150kw probably less as i will be getting grip but maybe 130kw the power to weight ratio will just be insane.

hahaha, ok ok you got me! look in all honesty you prob better of sticking with a b series motor as the engine is physically alot smaller than a k series and much more reliable than a D series, plus theres plenty of affordable aftermarket support around for the B series! youl prob need as much cash as you can muster to do this conversion right cause from what i know theres alot of work involved! thats my 2c for the day!

45SET
19-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Going by your first few posts... you've done a fair bit of your own investigation into this.

I can see this build going far.

Anyway, there is a guy up in Bris that has a G13b (Suzi Swift GTI motor) in his Mini... that also has a turbo on it.

yourfather
19-03-2009, 04:37 PM

B18C from an Integra VTi-R is 125kw at the flywheel.

Considering the low weight of your project vehicle i'd suggest that it's more than enough to beat an V8 or turbo 2 litre

James Dean
19-03-2009, 04:56 PM
...plus theres plenty of affordable aftermarket support around for the B series! youl prob need as much cash as you can muster to do this conversion right cause from what i know theres alot of work involved! thats my 2c for the day!

Aftermarket support, :D one of the key things that is going to be needed. Cool.

Yeah the reason these are the engines that i can select from is because i have sourced a place in the states that creates subframes that bolt onto the mini and have the right mounts for those series of engines.

Going by your first few posts... you've done a fair bit of your own investigation into this.

I can see this build going far.

Anyway, there is a guy up in Bris that has a G13b (Suzi Swift GTI motor) in his Mini... that also has a turbo on it.

Do you have any contact details by any chance or be able to throw him my email or something?

I have big dreams for this car, hoping it will be done by about 2015. Yes i know a long way a way but if i be patient then it will turn out a piece of art and amazing machinery.

Research, oh have i done my research. :D.

B18C from an Integra VTi-R is 125kw at the flywheel.

Considering the low weight of your project vehicle i'd suggest that it's more than enough to beat an V8 or turbo 2 litre

Sounds good, ahh with that last comment, a little bit optimistic.

:D

Thanks.

EK1.6LCIV
19-03-2009, 05:13 PM
best option Ive seen is the starlet gt engine :D

but a b18c is nothing new, heaps of threads out there for info :D

if youre in Brisbane I can put you in contact with a guy who does alot of Mini work, he runs Mini-Pro

James Dean
19-03-2009, 05:19 PM

Your saying that there are lots of mini's running a b18c engines? I am yet to see any? maybe im looking in the wrong places, got link?

eght
19-03-2009, 06:38 PM
try www.honda-tech.com ...yanks have slapped hodna engines into many vehicles :thumbsup:

but a k-series engine would be best to achieve your power goal of 150kw atw.

Benson
19-03-2009, 06:58 PM
b16a would be heaps fun. Make the motor turn over 9200rpm and you'll have a rocket.

barefootbonzai
19-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey all.
Which engine from which series is the best? (Keeping in mind it will be in a FWD setup (just in case one of these engines was placed in a RWD setup))

K > B > D - this here is a question of how much money you have.

What engine is the most best bang for your buck?

Since fitting either will probably cost you the same, unlike civics.
For NA - K
For Boost - B

Also if i slap a Vtec on one of these (do they come stock?) how hard would it to be to tune it with boost? Most probably a blower.
Thank you.
lol, but vtec and boost works together fine.

grumpy rooster
19-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Judging by your posts I wouldn't do this conversion. It is not straightforward and unless you have mechanical knowledge or very deep pockets you will be in for a whole world of pain.

minimetoy
19-03-2009, 08:32 PM
James Dean,

I built my own mini 4efte. You should have a look at Ausmini website and look up my posts in the conversions section. The issue with Honda motors is the track increases significantly. You will find it difficult BUT not impossible to get it through the engineering and rego process.

If you are not handy with tools and a welder you will need deep pockets as it will cost you a lot of money and you will be at the mercy of other peopls thoughts.

Good luck.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/minimetoy/DSC02287.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/minimetoy/DSC02497.jpg

beeza
19-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Clean! Mad Track car,any video's? hehehe

I had a Mini with those wheels :)

Euro08Jaz
19-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Look up what v-tec is.

James Dean
19-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Look up what v-tec is.

Is that directed at me? im not stupid.

--

Ok well a lot of people are talking about the money issues. Well because time isn't an issue and i have given myself about 7/8 years to complete this project and i will hopefully be an architect at a later point in the project, so im doing my research, but money at this time will not be an issue.

I will check out those sites that have been posted.

Cheers.

James Dean
19-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Oh i forgot to mention i myself have not an amazing mechanical knowledge but more than most and my old man owned his own body work/welding company, and my grandfather used to rebuild/tune/work on, so my "connections" will be able to help me out a lot, as well as my mates.

Cheers.

(Sorry for the double post.)

Limbo
20-03-2009, 07:19 AM
well a b16 + boost would be a killer in that car.
The K series is still too expensive

Who said vtec doesn't like boost??? vtec engines r boost ready!

NightKids
20-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Slap on a VTEC and you should get 150kw easy

DNYALL
20-03-2009, 10:15 AM
B18c mini would be insane, let alone a k-series OMG!!

Type S Tony
20-03-2009, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=minimetoy;2179816]James Dean,

Good luck.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/minimetoy/DSC02287.jpg

Oh how I miss my old 4eft-e paseo, best car i ever owned!

James Dean
20-03-2009, 11:24 AM
what time was that mini posted above pulling?

any engine info?

Paul1985
20-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I remember seeing a K-series mini on k20a.org one time.

The price for a K over a B wont be as bad in this situation as even the B wont be a simple bolt in affair...

You will need an array of custom parts either way.
If i were to do something like this i would wanna try aim for the best lol..

I'd have to go K.
Then again, a b-series in a mini would provide more than enough power. I wouldn't bother with forced induction myself.

The question you need to ask yourself is... How much do i wanna spend on an engine setup???

Then do some more research and browsing and work out what will be required to get the engine of choice into the mini... i.e: custom mounts, crossmember.. fuel system, cooling system. Wiring and ECU... transmission.

f3liX
20-03-2009, 12:54 PM
you're going to have mad traction problems also
i remember reading somewhere yonks ago about a mini with a b18cR.. chirping hard.. and that was from launching in 5th!

Type S Tony
20-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Why do people love minis so much for? same with VW bugs? WHY?

Slugman
20-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Firstly, if you are going to do this conversion, I hope you are doing it for the right reasons - if you are trying to make an 800kg B18C then I suggest that you don't do it. If you want to make a mini quicker & more reliable, then go for it. (It's an attitude thing . . . . .) So if you do the research, & still decide to do it, then congrats, & good luck! :wave:

I suggest looking at www.16vmini.com - Don't ask questions there until you have spent many hours searching & reading. They have pretty much all you will need to know, & links to all the rest. OK, so they don't have the Aussie engineering links, but try www.Ausmini.com for them. I only have experience with the Hondas, so I cannot comment on the other conversion types.

A B18C (Like mine, & no it's not finished) will have about the same power to weight ratio as an HSV Dunnydoor, but you will never beat a V8 off the line. The big problem is the FWD bit, & weight transfer on acceleration.

I suggest looking at the B16 - Much easier & cheaper to source engines & extras than the B18C, & very slightly lighter too.
They can be beefed up more than the B18 for the same money too, IMO. Before you all pounce on me, have a look how much room he will have left in the engine bay before the turbo & intercooler is added . . . . . :eek:

I second, third & fourth the advice about needing deep pockets. Be prepared to order stuff from England, & to walk it through customs etc.

Edit - Oops, before I forget - Have a google search for the 4WD beast they have just made . . . . . .

Type S Tony
20-03-2009, 01:23 PM
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/Anthony_k20a/ge4861369945639162365.jpg

so Ugly!

Slugman
20-03-2009, 01:35 PM
LOL - I had forgotten about that thing that BMW made.

Sorry, I keep forgetting that there are people in the world that think that BMW actually made a Mini. Every reference I make to "Mini" is actually the "Classic Mini" after BMW bought the rights to the name. (Insert diatribe against BMW here)
The BMW one is known as the "Bini" by people who drive real ones . . . . .
The BMW 4WD should be crushed, with the designer inside.

Sorry, I am hopeless at trying to insert pics etc.
Try searching for a mini with a 'Honda B20B with CRV drivetrain'. I know there is a pic on the Ausmini site.

Type S Tony
20-03-2009, 02:16 PM
LOL - I had forgotten about that thing that BMW made.

Sorry, I keep forgetting that there are people in the world that think that BMW actually made a Mini. Every reference I make to "Mini" is actually the "Classic Mini" after BMW bought the rights to the name. (Insert diatribe against BMW here)
The BMW one is known as the "Bini" by people who drive real ones . . . . .
The BMW 4WD should be crushed, with the designer inside.

Sorry, I am hopeless at trying to insert pics etc.
Try searching for a mini with a 'Honda B20B with CRV drivetrain'. I know there is a pic on the Ausmini site.

I knew you were talking about the classic old school mini but when i tried doing a goodle search for "mini 4wd" thats all that came up? but yeh i dnt like the bmw mini either, my gf's friend drives a convertible one & i always pay her out about it!

EK1.6LCIV
20-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Your saying that there are lots of mini's running a b18c engines? I am yet to see any? maybe im looking in the wrong places, got link?

in the UK there's alot, google it, I thought of building one awhile back as I have the contact to build them is all :D

my panel beater has seen his share of b16s as well

EK1.6LCIV
20-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I'd be alot of work, you're up for some serious bling, think it thro

my panel beater would easily charge 17k for a fresh mini in std form one of this calibre you'd be up for a mint

http://gallery.dentsport.com/albums/projects/minib16/P1000799.JPG

http://autolaminar.com/photos/maraks-mini.jpg

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/0/a/b/78229/preview_dscf23510.jpg

James Dean
20-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I remember seeing a K-series mini on k20a.org one time.

The price for a K over a B wont be as bad in this situation as even the B wont be a simple bolt in affair...

Well you see, the engine will be a bolt on, i have found sub frames for a mini which has the mounts for selective engines.

--

The other option i have which is also a very viable and a much cheaper option is to put the 998 (or get a 1275) in with a complete rebuild making it Hi-comp and forged so it can handle alot of boost through a blower, but the problem i have with that is that, if i even think about trying to get the same power as a modern engine some pretty series stuff is going to be needed to be done as it just wont handle that pressure. I also have my doubts of the power output, i don't think i will be able to get close to a basic honda engine let alone one with forced induction.

--

Please neglect thinking of the prices. I believe i have clearly stated that, money and time will not be an issue.

--

Is there any thing like what mitsi have like a 4G63t which is a high out put engine? and is a clear front runner in engines.

Cheers.

Paul1985
21-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Supercharged K20A3 mini!
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30196
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q40/Meno_Apriori/Blowerlores5.jpg

And another one:
http://www.k20a.org/upload/1-181-71028-l-hRrkuoGfMixMBOuJhanTTQ.jpg

end7
22-03-2009, 12:58 PM

if youre in Brisbane I can put you in contact with a guy who does alot of Mini work, he runs Mini-Pro

Who is the guy can you put me in contact too. :thumbsup:

VTECMACHINE
22-03-2009, 11:51 PM
I have seen some CRAZY fast ex-Belgarage worked mini's with B16A's in them - plus others... I think that's your best bet.

Would be awesome. Saw a green one at EC, with B16 and ITB's and shiz... was awesome, and so so fast.

fatboyz39
24-03-2009, 12:23 PM
K series!

Paul1985
24-03-2009, 05:31 PM
K series!

Right on, he mentioned moneys not really an issue because his going to do it over time.

So i say K-series for sure.

James Dean
24-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Ok so you guys rekon k series is the way to go.

Any opinions on which would be the best for my usage?

Paul1985
24-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Have a browse of www.k20a.org
It's a website made based upon the K-series Honda engines.

This engine has a huge fan base now.
There is so much potential with this engine, not to mention its newer than the B-series.

It is an expensive option though i must say.

Check out that website for some info on them, thats where i found the mini's with K20A's in them. You will be able to find all kinds of info on them on that site.

I do know that with my civic i have had a hard time getting hood clearance with the K24A, i think the K20A is better on that side of things...

K24A is 2.4 litres with a heap of torque in a light shell (for a honda engine).
K20A has a higher peak HP and revs higher.

IMO the better engine for such a lightweight shell as a mini (and for possible better clearance, im unsure though).. I would aim for a K20A, the JDM version is the best.

As i said, check out k20a.org for info on this engine. It has endless information.