PDA

View Full Version : EG Headlight questions

Migoreng_Noodles
19-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi

My driver side headlight keeps dieing and I think it's because of the wiring loom being melted my water. Basically the plug is half non-existent.

Is this a big job for an auto electrician to fix?

Secondary, I was thinking of getting HIDs. Not for the bling but purely for the better visibility at night. I don't want 14k or anything stupid, I just want to know. Is there a decent kit I can buy and get installed easily that looks very OEM and won't blind other drivers?

I'm not sure if one of the 'HID kits' some traders on here sell will be cheap/crap, blind other drivers and get my insta-defected. I know they'll prob be slightly illegal but if I keep without the bling and without annoying other drivers I should be okay.

Thanks

eght
19-03-2009, 06:03 PM
HIDs is not a viable solution as the HID kit does not replace the wiring. it plugs into the original wiring harness to your headlight.

and what do you mean it keeps dying ? does it turn off then turns back on? does it flicker?

when you say the plug is half non existent, does this mean the headlight light bulb plug is melted? If so i recommend, provided that you HAVE some experience with vehicle mechanics, that you go down to your wreckers or find a wrecked EG HB and find a new plug and cut out your melted plug and rejoin those 3 wires.

otherwise take it down to an auto electrician. if you point out the problem to him and what is required to fix the fault then it should save y ou the cost of him having to diagnose and troubleshoot for the fault.

irusti
19-03-2009, 06:12 PM
When you upgraded your headlight bulb to the new HID high output halogen light bulbs, you always at risk with frying your car factory wire or even damaging the connector socket. Standard factory wiring are not design to handling the high heat from newer designed high wattage light bulbs, over time the high heat will fries the factory wire and melt the plastic socket of your carw hich is very common nowadays am i not correct?

Of course, you can change the wire harness to some aftermarket heavy-duty socket in the market, which will require you to cut the factory wire on your car. you might even have to rewire the whole headlight wiring system to make it works. If you have a new car and do not wish to cut the factory wires for warranty issue, or you just like to keep everything clean and neat under the hood and for any other reasons. there should be aftermarket plug and play wire harness, which is the prefect solutions for your problem. The aftermarket harness sockets are usually made with high-grade heat resistant insulated plastic with high GA wires to handling higher heat temperatures

eght
19-03-2009, 06:21 PM
When you upgraded your headlight bulb to the new HID high output halogen light bulbs, you always at risk with frying your car factory wire or even damaging the connector socket. Standard factory wiring are not design to handling the high heat from newer designed high wattage light bulbs, over time the high heat will fries the factory wire and melt the plastic socket of your carw hich is very common nowadays am i not correct?

Of course, you can change the wire harness to some aftermarket heavy-duty socket in the market, which will require you to cut the factory wire on your car. you might even have to rewire the whole headlight wiring system to make it works. If you have a new car and do not wish to cut the factory wires for warranty issue, or you just like to keep everything clean and neat under the hood and for any other reasons. there should be aftermarket plug and play wire harness, which is the prefect solutions for your problem. The aftermarket harness sockets are usually made with high-grade heat resistant insulated plastic with high GA wires to handling higher heat temperatures

title of the OP's thread is EG Headlight questions which means a 1991-1995 model honda civic. means this car is not brand new and not under the effect of any warranty.

Johnn_Q
19-03-2009, 06:23 PM
id just suggest to take it to mechanic be much easier and less fuss for you :)

irusti
19-03-2009, 06:28 PM
yes i know its not under warranty. but it will help other who have earlier models with similar problems.

Sydsyd
20-03-2009, 09:24 AM
FYI, HIDs use lower wattage (35w) compared to stock halogen (55/60W), so don't think it would fry anything...