PDA

View Full Version : 78 accord

nedsta
26-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Hey wats doing i just wana kno if anyone else in this forum has been dumb :rolleyes: enough to do up a 1978 honda accord and what they have done to them

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 02:07 PM
I have read that B16A goes good in them.

nedsta
26-10-2004, 02:13 PM
really sounds interesting thered be an extreme amount of manufacturing to be done though

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 02:36 PM
what else can you do with '78 accord???

toE
26-10-2004, 02:55 PM
wat's it got now anyways? engine-wise.

Usual Suspect
26-10-2004, 08:00 PM
hi and welcome to OH.

I drive a 2nd gen accord, a 1983 one.

1st gens have a 1.6L carbied if im not mistaken, dont know engine number, mine is an EL1600, SY Accord.

Its not really worth it dude, ive looked into doing mine up and there are just too many problems. The main one being the engine mounts on pre 84 accords, they are compeltely different to 3rd gen accords and 2nd gen preludes, so an engine swap requires a lot of work, and then there is the conversion of carbied to efi.

Im not to sure about 2st gen suspension but there are a few things still on the market for 2nd gens. u can buy koni yellows for both gens i think, check out classicgarage.com. i can get an eibach pro kit for mine, but as far as i know, there are no camber kits for them, so the lowering throws it way out of whack. And there are no sway bars or nething like that so keeping the roll down is gonna require a lot of custom work.

You should check out www.3geez.com thats dedicated to 3rd gen accords and u may be able to find more info out there as people with older accords hang out there too. Get some pics up asap.

Is urs a hatch or a sedan?

Jus-10
27-10-2004, 08:51 AM
I had a 1st gen lude as first car and it ran the same 1600 motor (both the accord and lude were quite similar in many ways from memory). I have no idea what engine it is, but the only thing I can remember it being good for was as a boat anchor.

Isn't the redline at 4800rpm or something like that???

I only ever fitted a 2inch exhaust and did a bit of cold air work to the intake/airbox thingy. I also lowered it a bit and stuck on some rims, but that was about it. I was always revving the crap out of it to try and get some speed out of it, but it drank petrol like water. It had a top speed of something like 135kmh....ahh the memories

Usual Suspect
27-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Be good if u could tell me the engine model.

You wanna get an exhaust if u want to do anything, 2" to 2.25" is the best for small honda engines. You wanna get a hot-dog center muffler and if u want to waste some money u can buy a performance exhaust, but a generic one at a muffler shop is better than stock on old hondas. Then just get a tip or something for looks.

Intake wise u cant do much, make sure u got a pipe from ur airfilter to the front of ur car, new air filter, pretty sure u can get a k&n if u really want. Plus among other gneeral things, oil and oil filter change, fuel filter change is in order, and get some new ngk sparky's.

Get some nice rims and some new treads if u need them or want bigger rims than stock. I got bigger treads put on mine to improve handling, i think they are 180/75 or something like that, fatter and bigger than normal. U can take ur springs to a suspension workshop and get them to change the rates on ur springs. I guess anywhere between 20 and 40 % on front and rears would make quite a diff in handling, not to expensive either.

Other than that ur talking about custom work, which is gonna cost a bucket load.

nedsta
28-10-2004, 08:56 AM
ye its an eg engine ive put a small webber on her and she runs a 2 inch straight through to a 4 inch cannon. Theres no power increase! The only way i can get mags for it is if i get custom drilled ones because it has a stoopid 4x120 stud pattern that no other car has. I looked into changing the hubs and struts but a guy in sydney told me that nothing else will fit. Suspension wise the bak has been reset to 1 1/2 inch lower and the front are konis. I look after her maintenance wise.

Usual Suspect
28-10-2004, 03:02 PM
what weber did u put on, 35/38?

The weber with an exhaust should give some power increase, you should have noticed something!

U using stock springs, hows the camber on it?

Koni's just radnom general koni's or the koni yellow specials?

nedsta
04-11-2004, 07:51 AM
ye its a 35/38 webber no power increase at all. the konis are just regular ones. if i decide to go all out on it im gonna try and slot a b16a dohc into it and the later down the track mate a supercharger of a 4agze to it. There's gonna be a huge amount of custom work involved but hey thats the price you pay to stand out. hopefully ill notice the power increase then :D

Usual Suspect
05-11-2004, 04:52 PM
a b16a in early accords is a nice setup, if u wanna pay for it. They are lighter than later model civics which came standard with the b16a so they should go rather well in a gen 1 accord. Ive thought about it, but i couldnt justify spending all that money on my car. I often still think about it. If i could find a decent half cut and workshop to do it for a fair price i would do it, but i rang around and they were saying like 7geez, which ends up being about 3000 for the halfcut and 4000 for labour which is crazy.

nedsta
09-11-2004, 11:51 AM
ye thats about the same price i got quoted at the moment my car is about as fast as a push bike

Usual Suspect
10-11-2004, 02:08 PM
If you do do it, you will have one hella of a fast accord, i reckon you would easily chop a shite load of cars if thats what your into.

nedsta
17-11-2004, 12:00 PM
mate im definitely into that we'll just have to see what happens. if u hear of a green honda blitzing everybody in newcastle that would be me :D
know of anyone good that could do the work up this way

Usual Suspect
17-11-2004, 06:20 PM
nah mate im in perth.

ive been thinking about it lately, it fits, just gonna cost an arm and a laeg to do it. But i think im gonna save up and either go VIP style on my next car or get a dorifto car.