PDA

View Full Version : HIDS being too bright

turtle187
20-03-2009, 09:07 AM
hey guys,

i got HIDS awhile ago but they seem to be blinding alot of other drivers at night?
could it be possible that the lights are point up too much?
is there a way of adjusting and pointing it down?
just curtosy for other drivers on the road that think i have high beams on:p

Q_ball
20-03-2009, 09:08 AM
What car do you have?

eght
20-03-2009, 09:13 AM
are your headlights OEM or are they aftermarket? if yours are aftermarket then you may have aftermarket headlights designed for the US which are designed to point to the drivers side.

Sydsyd
20-03-2009, 09:13 AM
when u use HID with the same beam height as u would using halogen, more likely than not u'd blind oncoming traffic...

u can always lower the beam direction, there's a screw type adjuster behind ur headlight housing, turn the screw to lower the beam (forgot which way to turn)...hope u can get the lights adjusted very soon:)

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Do you have Projecter headlamps, or reflector headlamps. If you have reflector headlamps... then this is why you are blinding other people. It's really quite annoying!! HID's should only be fitted to projector headlamps! Some people will argue that even projector lamps that are not designed for HID's are bad.

turtle187
20-03-2009, 09:28 AM
hey guys ive got a ek1 and its 6k hids
so is the screw near the hid lights or my actual headlights?
and the headlights are oem ones, not aftermarket only the hids are aftermarket

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Well that's why... you are one of those annoying people on the road, with HID's in reflector headlamps which scatter light everywhere, including the eyes of people driving head on to you.

turtle187
20-03-2009, 09:31 AM
anyway i can fix this to help it flashing into peoples eyes directly, i didnt install my hids to intentionally beam at other people, as i hate it when it happens to me too...
does any1 noe how i can fix these?

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 09:33 AM
You will have to get Projector headlamps as a minimum - check ebay... Simply pointing them down will not do much at all!

tRipitaka
20-03-2009, 09:33 AM
you'll have to lower the beam.. but you'll see shit all on the roads..

that's the issue with HIDs in non projector headlights

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 09:35 AM
you'll have to lower the beam.. but you'll see shit all on the roads..

That too...

turtle187
20-03-2009, 09:46 AM
hmm i dont like the look of those projecters look
like the ek9 style
any1 noe any others ways to resolve this issue

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 09:49 AM
No, there is none. Either projector headlamps, or buy genuine EK9 headlamps (I think they were built for HID's).

tRipitaka
20-03-2009, 09:54 AM
hmm i dont like the look of those projecters look
like the ek9 style
any1 noe any others ways to resolve this issue

either retrofit your own projector in the headlight.. or buy the projectors that vtecmachine posted..

afaik, there's no OEM EK headlight available that has a projector housing..

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 10:11 AM
afaik, there's no OEM EK headlight available that has a projector housing..

Aren't the EK9 light, reflector, but designed for HID's. Like optional FD2 Civic lights? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

turtle187
20-03-2009, 10:26 AM
ahh F***
dammit, i dont wanna change it tho, maybe ill try pointing them down?
and see if that makes a diff?

turtle187
20-03-2009, 10:33 AM
would painting the hosing black help by any chance???

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 10:35 AM
ahh F***
dammit, i dont wanna change it tho, maybe ill try pointing them down?
and see if that makes a diff?

It will make a difference. But isn't the point of HID's so that YOU can see better? If you point your lights down, your car might look full on GT spec yO from front on, but you won't be able to see shit.

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 10:37 AM
would painting the hosing black help by any chance???

No, because you are not allowed to paint the reflector black. If you did, black absorbs light, and it wouldn't reflect the light forward as designed. Painted the housing won't do anything... it'll make it look cool though.

tRipitaka
20-03-2009, 10:37 AM
if people highbeam you..
just highbeam them back, and show that your HIDs are your normal lights :p

turtle187
20-03-2009, 10:39 AM
LOL my HIDS are brighter then my highbeams YALL!

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Your HID's should be High and Low beam. Because your lights are H4's. Your statement above didn't make sense.

turtle187
20-03-2009, 10:50 AM
im serious LOL
my high beams dont seem to be brighter then the low beams, dunnoe why , tho i found it abit strange when i installed it???

geeang
20-03-2009, 10:51 AM
LOL my HIDS are brighter then my highbeams YALL!

How about you just get normal lights instead of blinding people with your crappy lights?

I hate people who put HID's into cars not designed for them, how selfish must you be to do that.

turtle187
20-03-2009, 10:55 AM
How about you just get normal lights instead of blinding people with your crappy lights?

I hate people who put HID's into cars not designed for them, how selfish must you be to do that.

mate, im asking for help on how to make this not go into pplz eyes when driving alrite, so i dont need your comment about HIDS being annoying,
im just trying to make this better for both parties, if your not willing to help then plz dont post in this thread

geeang
20-03-2009, 10:59 AM
You've already been given the answers throughout the thread, pointing them down won't work because you won't be able to see anything.

Only real option is to get projector headlights or retrofit projectors with a proper cutoff.
You cannot paint your reflectors black.

You've been told again and again what the answer was but you're too stubborn about keeping your HID's how they are.

redefine
20-03-2009, 11:05 AM
do a projector retrofit :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imIiglkq7HA&feature=related

turtle187
20-03-2009, 11:07 AM
............... dude im asking for every1s suggestion on this site,
thats why its called the NOOB forum, im quite sure most members that hav a standard ek1 hav fitted HIDS and thats a statement alrite mate, dont go around complaining like a girl ok, we all noe that HIDS are not legal if they didnt come from the manufacturer,
as for me being stubborn, um i spent money on car parts so i expect them to fit and find a way around it to not be as annoying for other drivers on the road,
thats my consideration towards, others
im just trying to make this a win win situation
and thanks to all that has replied to my issue ill try and tilt it down abit tonite so see if it can make a slight difference, if not ill just buy the 4300k crystal vision bulbs

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 11:08 AM
LOL... Nice.

turtle187
20-03-2009, 11:27 AM
redefine i might just try the retrofit, hehehe

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Good job on making an effort. But yeah, you will need to do a retrofit, or buy EK9 lights, or projector lamps. I know you have spent the money on HID's and it sucks balls. I think suppliers of HID's need to make this point known.

Good luck chief.

turtle187
20-03-2009, 11:44 AM
thanks vtecmachine, appreiciatted for all the help you guys given, hehehe besides the complaints from the girls on this site...

geeang
20-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I'd rather complain like a girl to a noob like you about your illegal mod, than be blinded by a loser and have an accident.

At least you'll make the effort to try retrofitting, otherwise you'd just be like every other c*nt on the road who has an EK + HID's and doesn't give a shit about anyone else.

turtle187
20-03-2009, 12:06 PM
ROFL AHHAHAHHAHHAHHAA
dude we all noe its illegal, u dont hav to b a noob to noe that,
wells happy being blind geeang, =)
ek owners we hav a target, i love blinding ppl like urself. =P
lol ahhahahahhahha

aaronng
20-03-2009, 12:10 PM
im serious LOL
my high beams dont seem to be brighter then the low beams, dunnoe why , tho i found it abit strange when i installed it???

I reckon you bought the wrong HID bulb which has only 1 on setting. You need to get the H4 type HID that has a built in highbeam function. So during normal low beam it is not as bright and goes to full intensity when you turn on the high beam.

turtle187
20-03-2009, 12:46 PM
hmm maybe, LOL
well see how i go anyways

geeang
20-03-2009, 12:48 PM
ROFL AHHAHAHHAHHAHHAA
dude we all noe its illegal, u dont hav to b a noob to noe that,
wells happy being blind geeang, =)
ek owners we hav a target, i love blinding ppl like urself. =P
lol ahhahahahhahha

And people wonder where all the dumbarses on the road come from :P

Manabir
20-03-2009, 12:55 PM
having projectors does make a HUGE difference.
i put projectors in at the same time as fitting my HID (just the ebay projectors).
i had to run my stock reflectors for a couple of months and couldnt be bothered pissfarting around with the wiring to put normal globes back in for just a couple of months.
i noticed the light scattered so much more.
compare the light output of yours (mainly the cutoff) with what i have with the projectors.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Manabir/P8180073.jpg

this is why you are blinding people.
as said by others...best bet is to run projectors.
when i had to run the stockies i just aimed the lights right down low.
i lived in the city so i didnt need the light output...and with them aimed down low it was redictulously shit.
but not the optimum solution.

turtle187
20-03-2009, 01:02 PM
oh noice thanks manibar, will run the retroit fit, wit the projecters

peeweechik
20-03-2009, 01:22 PM
if you have 8000k HID then yea you'll prob blind peoples eyes best thing jus adjust the height lol

VTECMACHINE
20-03-2009, 01:46 PM
thanks vtecmachine, appreiciatted for all the help you guys given, hehehe besides the complaints from the girls on this site...

This has got a little heated, and there is no need for it IMHO.
Geeang, is expressing his anger towards people that use HID's in reflectors. I know I have been holding back a little, as it is rather annoying, and dangerous.

But like I have said, it's good that you relise this, and are making an effort to rectify the problem. +1 for that!!

if you have 8000k HID then yea you'll prob blind peoples eyes best thing jus adjust the height lol

Why are 8000K more blinding than 6000K? It's a fact that 6000K are actually brighter than 8000K. 6000K, put out much more light than 8000K. The higher you go up in temp rating, there is less light output. So please explain why 8000K blind people more so than 6000K.

turtle187
20-03-2009, 01:51 PM
i understand all the frustration of blinding lights, but this is a thread so i can resolve this issue about HIDS on honda's or more eks being so bright, not only for me but also other ek users
its just i dont appreciate the complaints where as im trying to resolve this issue not complicate it

so if sum1 is a D*** to me ill just return the favour =P

but once again thanks again for the prompt replies

Manabir
20-03-2009, 02:04 PM
could be worse.
i got blinded big time by a AU falcon running 6000K HID the other night.
the headlights on those bastards are bad enough with halogens!

turtle187
20-03-2009, 02:10 PM
i got blinded by a maxda the other night so i let the FOOKER overtake and i got the FOOKER BACK LOL

redefine
20-03-2009, 02:35 PM
lol, btw, i havent done that retrofit before, i just found it, so i dont know how viable it is.

Gl with getting it fixed :thumbsup:

j.meng87
20-03-2009, 04:04 PM
i would suggest finding a D2R bulb and a H4 to D2R/D2S adapter. D2R bulbs are design for reflector headlights.

EK1.6LCIV
20-03-2009, 04:11 PM
the only dis with the projectors in my setup (which is why they arent designed for HID, or so they told me on sale) is that they cant be adjusted in angle, it's fixed... lol

so oem will be the go, I cant see your prob, we put 8000k Bixeon HIDs into the WRX (similiar reflective headlight) and there isnt much of an issue, not overly blue, cops have still yet to give a damn in Brisbane, the warm up time is near non-existant (well compared to the 12000k Im considering)

Manabir
20-03-2009, 04:35 PM
different headlights product more glare than others.
on a prelude side of things jdm 4th gen ones are blinding as shit but audm 4th gen ones have almost no glare.

peeweechik
20-03-2009, 04:38 PM
This has got a little heated, and there is no need for it IMHO.
Geeang, is expressing his anger towards people that use HID's in reflectors. I know I have been holding back a little, as it is rather annoying, and dangerous.

But like I have said, it's good that you relise this, and are making an effort to rectify the problem. +1 for that!!

Why are 8000K more blinding than 6000K? It's a fact that 6000K are actually brighter than 8000K. 6000K, put out much more light than 8000K. The higher you go up in temp rating, there is less light output. So please explain why 8000K blind people more so than 6000K.

maybe from experience soo yea i'm only assuming but ive seen both soo yea

NightKids
20-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Another alternative would be to run halogens again. The Philips XTreme are great and bright, running them on my car right now.

Doesn't attract much attention with the cops, see better in the rain than HIDs and pretty cheap too at $65.

Have a think about it.

P.S. Don't get crystal or diamond visions, they're shit. Go either XTreme or Osram Nightbreaker I think it is.

taks
21-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I have 6000k and the first 2 nights i drove with them on at night down a narrow street i got high beamed once. After that i adjusted them down a bit and have never been high beamed again and i have had them for about 8 months.

I also let a mate drive my car while i was driving his to see how they shine in the rear view mirror and also head on driving past and they do not blind you.

And yes i can still see clearly with them pointed a bit down, obviously not as good as projectors but, really, how many EK owners on here have projectors/retrofit with their HIDs.

Just play around with the adjustment to try to get the best height.
All trial and error.

Bludger
21-03-2009, 05:00 PM
anyway i can fix this to help it flashing into peoples eyes directly, i didnt install my hids to intentionally beam at other people, as i hate it when it happens to me too...
does any1 noe how i can fix these?use halogen bulbs

dtrang
22-03-2009, 12:24 PM
use halogen bulbs

x2

brighter design globes or higher wattage globes.. probably cost you less this way