PDA

View Full Version : Hard Braking helps to prevent brakes glazing up?

philip_pc
21-03-2009, 05:13 PM
i took my fd in for a service not long ago because of noisy brakes, which they told me was glazed and dirty, they cleaned it and it was fine, but now its starting to make the same noise again, even louder also.
i hate going back to the dealers cause it takes all day, so i went down to my local mechanic today just to get his advice on it, he said that the brakes are glazing up cause im not using them enough, and he told me to do a hard brake everytime i drive the car when i head off, not hard enough to make the car skid but just hard enough to get all the brake dust off, and that should get me through the rest of the day without problems.
just want to get other peoples opinions on this as well, what do you guys think?

markCivicVti
21-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Yeah i brake hard a bit... never had glazed brakes... and yes I know about the problem with glazing breaks.. as I've said before... drive it like you stole it.. and all will be fine.

FallenAngel
21-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Never had glazed brakes either...

aero
21-03-2009, 09:40 PM
thats pretty interesting. my brakes do tend to squeek. ill take ur advice next time i go driving =]

aaronng
21-03-2009, 10:04 PM
You get glazing if you use the brake pedal lightly to slow down to a stop. You should apply more braking effort for shorter time, that will help avoid any glazing.

philip_pc
22-03-2009, 08:14 AM
seems like its worth trying =)
i'll start doing that from now on =)

rk 86 wa
24-03-2009, 01:10 PM
^ Yup means you ride your brakes too much lol.

brokenback
27-03-2009, 07:15 PM
i took my fd in for a service not long ago because of noisy brakes, which they told me was glazed and dirty, they cleaned it and it was fine, but now its starting to make the same noise again, even louder also.
i hate going back to the dealers cause it takes all day, so i went down to my local mechanic today just to get his advice on it, he said that the brakes are glazing up cause im not using them enough, and he told me to do a hard brake everytime i drive the car when i head off, not hard enough to make the car skid but just hard enough to get all the brake dust off, and that should get me through the rest of the day without problems.
just want to get other peoples opinions on this as well, what do you guys think?

I have had serious squealing from my civic brakes & so have some other drivers, see here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107776) & here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101015).

Latest try from Honda (on our car) is to replace the discs & pads, so far since the fix (around 2K ago) no problems squealing.

The Honda dealer has had a few goes at fixing this issue & eventually pulled out the old disclaimer ..."it must be a driver issue":rolleyes:..my reply to this was unsavoury and would scare forum members!:zip:

It's obviously Pad material & Honda can only use their "Honda" pads thus the problem will come back.

This issue appears to be happening to quite a few civic drivers. If it happens again on my car I'll put some Bendix pads in.:thumbsup:

I hate squealing brakes!:thumbdwn:

markCivicVti
27-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Stop driving like a girl!!

philip_pc
28-03-2009, 09:55 PM
squealing has actually gone now.
been braking a little bit harder (shorter braking distance as compared with before)
once i hear the noise i push the breaks a little harder and once the noise stops i know thats how hard i need to press, surprisingly its not that much more then what i was doing before, but there definately is a change in stopping difference, not hard hard enough to throw your head forward though, so yeah it seems like this technique does in fact work.
got no squeals in it at all now, was having noises previously that was annoying the sh*t outta me.