PDA

View Full Version : DC2 R broken down

c_para
21-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Hey guys, tonight was a shit night. Driving my dc2 R and the motor just suddenly cut out while i was driving. I started the car again. and the same problem. Had to pull over to the side of the road and get my car towed. There was no lights on the dash working when trying to start it. The windows will not even go up or down. Stereo still works tho when the battery is turned on. Does anyone kno what the problem could be? I have to wait till monday b4 i can do anything about it tho. Could it have anything to do with the immobaliser or the car alarm? Will it cost me much?

Cheers.

[AROUSN]
22-03-2009, 12:40 AM
How does the car stop? Does it choke slowly or just cut off without warning?

xtat1k
22-03-2009, 05:26 AM
Sounds like you sparked all your fuses.

Bludger
22-03-2009, 05:35 AM
Hey guys, tonight was a shit night. Don't you just hate it when you get a shit night?..!..?..!..?..!..?

Driving my dc2 R and the motor just suddenly cut out while i was driving. I started the car again. and the same problem. Had to pull over to the side of the road and get my car towed. That was a very sparse description for the irregular incidents that happen to you on the night in question. When you say the motor just "suddenly cut out" while you were driving, how was it like?? Was it like running out of fuel?? Was it a full on choke, splutter, bang, KABo0o0oMMMMM..??..!!..??..!!..??.. Or maybe it was like ZZzzZZzzZZ....knock, knock, knock, zoom, zoom.............. then off..... Please explain. You managed to start the car again, were you able to drive a little bit further after you started her again? Maybe not, maybe a further one or two kilometers before she shut off again.?.?.?
Don't you just hate it when you have to get your car towed?? Its just so, so depressing.

There was no lights on the dash working when trying to start it. The windows will not even go up or down. To my knowledge, thats what usually happens. When cranking the motor, all the dash lights will go off. I'm assuming thats what you mean when you say "trying to start it" When the key is in the "OFF" position, then all lights are off. When in the "ACC essory" position, all the lights would be off also, but maybe the door light may come on when the doors are open. When in the "ON" position then a fair few lights will light up. Can't remember which ones to be exact, but many will light up. When cranking.... or what you would call "trying to start it" no lights should be on. The issue with the windows, are they not working full stop or they're not working in a particular key position. Being more specific helps greatly in helping you with answers.

Stereo still works tho when the battery is turned on. Do you have a "battery isolator switch"??? you're suggesting so when you say "Stereo works when you turn on the battery" OR by saying that, did you mean when you turn the keys to the "ON" position. Have you checked any of your fuses yet?

Does anyone kno what the problem could be? I have to wait till monday b4 i can do anything about it tho. Could it have anything to do with the immobaliser or the car alarm? Will it cost me much?

Cheers. My friend, I'm not trying to be a smart arse about this.................. well, maybe I am. But only just a little.
Seriously though mate, you really think from the half arsed description that you gave us about your dilemma, that anyone here on this forum could give you a semi/half/lil ounce decent diagnosis???
Maybe you'll have to wait till Monday to get it properly fixed by a Qualified technician. It might have everything to do with your immobilizer, it might have nothing to do with it at all.

And this last question of yours, "how much will it cost you??"

this is the most stupid question in your whole post asking for help. Because how the **** do we know how much its gonna cost you.mate, I really wish you the best of luck and I hope you get everything fixed soon.

c_para
22-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Sorry about the stupid questions haha, i just thought maybe u guys were such experts since u guys sit on this sight all day. But the car engine just cut out with no noises at all. Just a complete stop when i was at the lights, then when i got it started again it stopped while i was driving. and it would just roll. Thats all that happened.

!JonZap!
22-03-2009, 10:38 AM
ign switch

start the car and wiggle the key, see if it turns off

c_para
22-03-2009, 10:44 AM
So u r saying to try and start it again? and wiggle the key around?

Poeter
22-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Lol Bludger.

I think you should give c_para a break. No need to be harsh.

Anyway, c_para, I doubt it's as simple as ignition switch. As Bludger mentioned, I think you're better of asking a qualified technician.

CRXDEL501
22-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Lol Bludger.

Anyway, c_para, I doubt it's as simple as ignition switch. As Bludger mentioned, I think you're better of asking a qualified technician.

i agree ay.
thats what this forum is for isnt it, asking questions, and some know more than others. maybe a half assed description may not have helped, but maybe someone else had encountered the problem.

para, just get it checked, or disconnect the alarm to begin with. dont think that will hurt, and take it to an auto electrician.

get it towed to my house and ill look at it :D

VTECMACHINE
22-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Speaking of auto electricians, does anyone know of any good ones?

Bludger
22-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Sorry about the stupid questions haha, i just thought maybe u guys were such experts since u guys sit on this sight all day. But the car engine just cut out with no noises at all. Just a complete stop when i was at the lights, then when i got it started again it stopped while i was driving. and it would just roll. Thats all that happened.

Lol Bludger.

i agree ay.
thats what this forum is for isnt it, asking questions, and some know more than others. maybe a half assed description may not have helped, but maybe someone else had encountered the problem.

para, just get it checked, or disconnect the alarm to begin with. dont think that will hurt, and take it to an auto electrician.

get it towed to my house and ill look at it :D

Look guys, I tried to help the OP as much as I could have with what I had to work with. Given I was a little bit of a smart arse, but thats just me.

Just remember I tried to the best of my ability to help.:)

xtan
23-03-2009, 12:26 PM
If it randomly just stalls... sounds like an "air leak"
Happened to a friend of mine, but different car.
A Hose under the manifold could have blown off.

Even saying this, it doesn't explain why your motor won't start?
Could even be the starter motor or fuses.

VTECMACHINE
23-03-2009, 12:55 PM
I reakon it's alarm related... just throwing it out there!!

Go get it checked out properly, and report back here with the answer.

Moey.C
23-03-2009, 03:55 PM
maybe u ran out of petrol :)

Zilli
23-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Speaking of auto electricians, does anyone know of any good ones?

Tibby Rose Victoria Rd Gladesville

Paul1985
23-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Look guys, I tried to help the OP as much as I could have with what I had to work with. Given I was a little bit of a smart arse, but thats just me.

Just remember I tried to the best of my ability to help.:)

I'm a apprentice mechanic and found his description on what the problem could be to have adequate information to point towards the ignition switch personally. Not everyone is mechanically minded and can explain the problems how they should be explained... At trade school you are taught to ask the customers the right questions before they leave, even to go for a drive with the customer so they can show you when problems happen.... If you dont get this info from a customer then you can be working on a simple job all day, wheras if you get the proper info from the customer you can target the issue alot better... It is upto you to get the information out of the customer.
As i said, not everyone can explain things perfectly...

Id be asking, does the car have no lights on the dash in the "ON" postion? and;
Doe's the car still crank as long as your holding the key on the "START" position?

If he goes to a mech he will give the same information there as he has here, depending what the mech asks him.. why not try find your info on forums?

!JonZap! has it in one.

Id be tipping its an ignition switch and will cost somewhere upto $100 (my DA9 one was about $100 new). Even cheaper from a wreckers. I recommend trying a know working one before forking out the cash (even though if it were my car id feel confident this is the issue and purchase one)

Its a simple DIY job (only really need a screwdriver, pliers and a 10mm spanner)...
-d/c the negative battery terming
-Pull the steering wheel surrounds off
-disconnect the 2 plugs that are a part of the switch
-disconnect the clips on the loom that hold it to the steering column
-use the screwdriver to remove the ignition switch from the barrell
-install the new one in the reverse order of these steps

It is possible sometimes to repair the ign switch by re-soldering its joints but IMO your better off getting a new one.

jimidy
23-03-2009, 11:30 PM
sell it

CRXDEL501
24-03-2009, 07:02 AM
sell it

as if u would.
when its a simple problem like the alarm or ignition

cymax
24-03-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm not shock that it might be his dizzy giving up on him as well.

specialst
24-03-2009, 02:04 PM
earth?

c_para
06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Hey guys, just got it fixed, thought i should let u guys know that it was just the aftermarket alarm that was tripping the engine out. I started the car tho, and now it is running like crap. Idles are really high, vibrates alot and is an on and off thing. I think that maybe because everyone has been trying to crank it over, it may have flooded the spark plugs or something. I dont know what this issue is. Am going to try replacing the spark plugs. Anyone got any ideas about this problem? The problems just seem to be following me!!!