PDA

View Full Version : HID Lights

Geoffy
26-10-2004, 03:40 PM
I'm looking for some HID Lights for my Jazz...

Blue ones anyone know where I can get some from in Syd for a good price??? Brand??? Installation cause I don't know how to do anything hahaha

Black R
26-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Hope you are aware that they are illegal

|N|
26-10-2004, 03:59 PM
not the blue ones man...

1. they r not bright
2. they grab all the copper's attention
3. they r not cheap

i reckon 6000k is the most u want to go

Geoffy
26-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Hope you are aware that they are illegal
I was not aware of that... :confused: :(

TypeG
26-10-2004, 04:13 PM
y not.....
just point it downward and u will be fine as all HID on a jazz is bright and caught attention anyway due the the design of the headlight
i got 6000k and 8000k on my car
i prefer 8000k

Geoffy
26-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Where from and how much???

Geoffy
26-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Hey I heard the VTi-S fog lights are illegal to have on when driving at night???

dark138
26-10-2004, 04:27 PM
this is what the RTA have to say about headlights

If the fog lights came with the car e.g. "stock fog lights" they are 100% legal, if any cops tries to stop you and have you defected for having STOCK FOG LIGHTS on while driving, take it to court and you will win.

but with after market fog lights, its totally different story, they are illegal.

Stock fog lights pass to be on road because they've pass safety test so they are road worthy.

Geoffy
26-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Madness... You just mad my day :D

I got told they were illegal so I never put mine on... I was thinking what's the point of having it if I can't use it hahaha... Now it's all good...

Type R Positive
26-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Hey I heard the VTi-S fog lights are illegal to have on when driving at night??? They are not illegal to have on your car, but are not legal to have on when driving at night. Driver distraction. Same goes with neons.

toE
26-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Foglights are not illegal to have on ur car be it aftermarket or not.
However, it is illegal to use them in non-foggy situations. hence the name "FogLights" :rolleyes:

Geoffy
26-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Well I see people using it at night so I might as well hahaha

can u use it on rainny conditions???

Jus-10
27-10-2004, 08:35 AM
The foglights can only be used in adverse weather conditions (rain, fog, etc).

All HIDs are illegal if retro-fitted to your car unless you have a light washing system and self-leveling system fitted.

If you run 4300k, chances are you will be fine. Start running something like 8000k in Sydney and expect to become quite friendly with the police. 8000k is useless anyway. 4300k is the whitest and brightest and closest to daylight and will give you the best performance.

TypeG
27-10-2004, 12:29 PM
in a Jazz, brightest HID is useless as you must get finger by ppl in front of u
try that as i get 6000k fitted, after install, i got fingered nearly every traffic light coz of the design of the headlight plus our headlight dun have any reflector
also 8000k is useless?
if u come and comapre my 8000k to any 4300k and i found out mine is less bright, i pay u a lunch box.

JASMA
27-10-2004, 01:07 PM
haha...8000k is definitely brighter than 4300k man....
just aware one thing is where does the HID from.....it is not good at all for the HID from china/taiwan....not bright enough and light are not focused on a spot and affect others( that's probably the reason to be caught by police)....and it is possibly to cause the leakage of electicity as well.....

TypeG
27-10-2004, 01:14 PM
not focused on a spot is the issue of the design of the headlight
same HID put on my jazz and a BM, different story as BM is really forcus on a point but jazz is just everuwhere
so as i said b4, any HID or even bright bulbs will get police attention anyway

Jus-10
27-10-2004, 01:41 PM
8000k is not brighter...it is just a different spectrum. 4300k is the closest to natural light.

Sorry I will go and complain to BMW, Mercedes, Bosch, Philips, etc that they have got it wrong and that their xenons should be at 8000K....

Anyway that's my opinion...I've seen them all and nothing performs as well as the factory jobs (6000k would still be OK)

But TypeG's right....Jazz lights aren't really designed for HIDs. HIDs work the best when you have projectors because they disperse the light much more evenly as opposed to complex surface halogens (like the Jazz) The fact that the Jazz doesn't even have a reflector over the bulb makes the brightness factor 10 times worse for other motorists. I have seen some kits that actually include this

civiceg9
30-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Different spectrum please justify :confused:
according to Philips and Hella colour and light spectrum 8000k is brighter
please check there website.

FEL12X
31-10-2004, 10:23 PM
8000k is just the temp of the colour..
it tells you the colour not the brightness
8000k is bluish and 4300-6500 still white...

dark138
01-11-2004, 02:22 AM
OK, this is where the science comes in.

first we leave the color of the light outta the question.
Brightness is measured by light intensity (the more intense the light is, the bright it is right?) Since HIDs basically converts electricity into light energy and we will assume the balisk of the 8000k and the 4000K lights are at the same voltage).

This pretty much suggests that both lights have the same brightness (forget the color bit right now), since the energy conversation from electricity to light energy is at the same efficiency, the brightness at the receiving end should be the same right? (go try it with a solar cell connected to a volt meter).

With 4000K and 8000K, the K itself is a measure of light wavelength frequency not a unit of measurement for light intensity. This basically tells you a higher k doesn't = higher light intensity output. Actually the higher the K, it tell you the wavelength is actually shorter, tending towards gamma (purple blueish color), whereas low k relates to long wavelengths towards orange and red of the color spectrum.

but i still think blue is brighter :P

wyl03
02-11-2004, 08:37 AM
i always thought "K" represented candela - unit of brightness.

in this case, based on the explanation above, "K" is somehow related to frequency (hertz)?

petrovski
02-11-2004, 08:54 AM
K stands for Kelvin as in the temperature scale.

The higher the K the higher the temperature.

Also the as lights get hotter they burn different colours and the hotter you get the closer you get to blue or purple (can't remember but towards that side of the colour spectrum).

Anyway my point is the that colour and temperature are related in the fact that depending at what temperatures the lights burn defines the colour that you see.

Pete :)

TypeG
02-11-2004, 11:04 AM
dun worry man
just go to philip web site and have a look
it mentions clearly