PDA

View Full Version : ek shocks- hacth and sedan

leeman
22-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Fitted some compressed springs into my ek1 hatch. Got three corners done well with stock shocks. The last corner (rear) screwed up. So I bought a another shock, which came off an ek sedan.

The shocks look very similar so I went a head and fitted compressed spring to shock. After tighting shock up, the spring was still loose.??? All the other springs went on tight on ek hatch shocks.

I then fitted the shock/spring onto my car. It turned out a tad higher than the other rear corner.

So are the EK sedan and hacth shocks exactly the same? The looked the same, yet they turned out different.

leeman
22-03-2009, 10:54 AM
maybe the shock i bought is fresher than mine?

Henessaayyy
22-03-2009, 12:30 PM
sedans are heavier than hatches.. so they have different springs/shocks...
well thats my verdict anyway

SiReal
23-03-2009, 10:55 AM
EK, EM, EJ - their suspension is all interchangeable - My tein coilovers i used to have were taken off an EK1 hatchback, which I then used on an EJ8 coupe. Same stuff.

The problem, i believe would be the spring itself. compressing a spring does not provide you an 'accurate' outcome, unlike manufactured or coilover units.

Gio
23-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Take it to a suspension shop.

leeman
23-03-2009, 05:54 PM
EK, EM, EJ - their suspension is all interchangeable - My tein coilovers i used to have were taken off an EK1 hatchback, which I then used on an EJ8 coupe. Same stuff.

The problem, i believe would be the spring itself. compressing a spring does not provide you an 'accurate' outcome, unlike manufactured or coilover units.

both rears were identical before i fitted them. But this is a possible scenrio. One spring may be compressed more than the other when fitted.

Another possibility is like what Hennessayyy said, same shape and size shocks for sedans/hatches but different rates for them.

Mugen Civic
24-03-2009, 09:02 PM
both rears were identical before i fitted them. But this is a possible scenrio. One spring may be compressed more than the other when fitted.

Another possibility is like what Hennessayyy said, same shape and size shocks for sedans/hatches but different rates for them.

EK1 hatch and sedans have the same shocks.
Also, like u said before, it could be a fresher shock. How old and how many K's on your original shocks compared to the one you got off the sedan?
Could be badly compressed spring too.

leeman
24-03-2009, 09:49 PM
mine came with the car. so 137xxxkms.

But are the sedan shocks just stiffer and made to be higher?

If the spring was shorter cause it was badly compressed, then the corner should be lower not higher.

Both springs were the same length, the one fitted on the hatch shock turned out good (tight). the one fitted on the sedan shock came out loose and made the corner sit higher.

bennjamin
24-03-2009, 09:51 PM
the shock itself would be the same....the only factor is the SPRING used.
that is , a stiffer spring wont sag as much and yield a higher stance.

leeman
27-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Why would a spring sit loose on a shock, yet sit higher? If the spring was loose because it sagged, i'd expect the corner to sit lower not higher.
I still can figure this one out. Ill have to take both sprungs off again and start at square one.