PDA

View Full Version : Gear Oil

moons
24-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm looking to get my gear oil changed at my next service. Does anybody know if Aussie dealers are using the new Honda Ultra MTF3 stuff or are still using MTF2?? :confused:

Anybody have any experience with changing their gear fluid in the new Type R?

moons
10-04-2009, 05:25 PM
For anybody who cares: I called a number of dealers and it turns out Aussie dealers don't even know what MTF3 is - If you've had your third gear fixed or have had your Gear Oil changed your FN2 box most likely has MTF06 in it which is not recommended for the FN2s gear box.

Reports out of the UK are that the new formula MTF-3 has improved gear changes - particularly that pesky third gear.

aaronng
10-04-2009, 05:44 PM
That's because they don't call it MTF-2 or MTF-3 here.

The MTF 06 that is sold here is equivalent to MTF-2. So if you are after MTF 3, then you will have to get that imported for now.

And FYI, if you find MTF Plus, that is equivalent to the original Honda MTF.

moons
10-04-2009, 06:50 PM
The MTF 06 that is sold here is equivalent to MTF-2.

Okay cool, didn't know that. In any case, that's no good for our FN2 boxes! :(

aaronng
10-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Okay cool, didn't know that. In any case, that's no good for our FN2 boxes! :(

Has Honda UK released a bulletin saying to use MTF-3 for the FN2R? When the MTF-2 was released, Acura released a bulletin stating the problems that MTF-2 would solve and that new 2007 cars would come with it from the factory. Wondering if Honda has given an official statement on the FN2R gearbox problems. That's the problem with 3rd gear popping out, right?

moons
11-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Has Honda UK released a bulletin saying to use MTF-3 for the FN2R?

No bulletin - I am reading from the car's manual.

And for the record, I had my third gear fixed about ten months ago but its starting to feel a little notchy again. Anyway, I've scored some MTF-3 from the UK which is going in next week.

aaronng
11-04-2009, 09:51 AM
No bulletin - I am reading from the car's manual.

And for the record, I had my third gear fixed about ten months ago but its starting to feel a little notchy again. Anyway, I've scored some MTF-3 from the UK which is going in next week.

If it says MTF-3 in the manual, your car should have had MTF-3 from the factory and the gearbox would be fine. But it still went notchy after a while using MTF-3?

moons
11-04-2009, 10:07 AM
If it says MTF-3 in the manual, your car should have had MTF-3 from the factory and the gearbox would be fine. But it still went notchy after a while using MTF-3?

No no.. I had the third gear fix applied a little while after I bought it.. And since no Australian dealer has MTF-3 it is highly likely that all Type Rs that have had the fix applied - I assume they have to drain the fluids to apply it - have something other than MTF-3 in them!

In my case, I have found that my gearbox is slowly becoming more notchy - not as bad as the "third gear" problem, but notchier than a 10k gearbox should be, so I have imported some MTF-3 which I'm getting the dealer to put in for my 10k service.

Why MTF-3 isn't available here - at the very least as a special order - is beyond me. Especially since at 120,000k, the transmission fluid is replaced at service.

:thumbdwn: