PDA

View Full Version : Auto vs Manual

thecarfridge
26-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Greetings all, I am looking to buy 96-99 Accord,(perfect car for me!) but in researching, it sound as if the auto trans. can be a bit of a weak point. I have never owned an auto, but if one comes up at the right price I might be tempted. So what is the general opinion on these auto boxes? cheers!!:)

Chriskoss
26-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Comes down to personal preference doesn't it?

I for one couldn't drive an auto, never have, tried it on dad's car.. hated it.. so it's just what your used to and what your comfy with. Sure you can get used to the auto but I like the idea of more control over what speed your going etc with a manual

eght
26-03-2009, 10:03 PM
why are auto trans a weak point? i dont think they are.

i think your research will tell oyu that semi-automatic is more prone to failure. for e.g. alfa romeo selespeed or prelude semi-auto gearboxes.

i think auto gearboxes require more maintenance as there are more moving parts and fluids in the engagement of the flywheel. i.e. a torque converter has more moving parts and fluids than a manual gearbox's clutch.

thecarfridge
27-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the reply, I am not real keen on an auto, never having owned one, but its not such an issue if they are reliable. In researching this, there are reports of the CD5 manual and auto boxes being equally reliable, but real problems with the CG5 auto boxes. Any experiences with these?? many thanks,

joe_kur
31-03-2009, 01:07 PM
what is your opinion on a "weak point" and how will it benefit you driving this car in auto or manual?
manual gearboxes are better for sports cars and auto for family cars and utility utes.
but it also depends on your age aswell. young guys like to drive manual cars but a older family man would like an auto.

good luck with the buy.

shadou
31-03-2009, 01:21 PM
haven't seen anything wrong with the accord auto trans yet, it's the Honda CVT automatic boxes you need to be cautious about.

thecarfridge
01-04-2009, 09:24 AM
According to Wikipedia the 6th gen auto boxes where the subject of a class action in America, forcing Honda to extend the warranties of the V6/Auto:eek:

thepope1986
01-04-2009, 07:37 PM
american accords were terrible and i also heard some dealerships in australia refused to sell them here

JohnL
02-04-2009, 07:54 AM
but it also depends on your age aswell. young guys like to drive manual cars but a older family man would like an auto.

Ever heard of the word 'stereotype'? Your statement is complete nonsense, some "older family men" prefer manual gearboxes, some autos, and it's the same deal with "young guys". I'm an "older family man" (at least I could be described that way, among others...), and yet to find an automatic gearbox I didn't dislike.

By the way, most people can't use a manual box to it's full effect. It's only once the technique of 'heel and toe' can be performed cleanly without thinking about it can it be considered that the use of a manual box is truly mastered.

For anyone who may not be familiar with the term, 'heel and toe' is the use of all three pedals simultaneously in order to smoothly change down through the gears whilst also braking. This is why you hear racing drivers 'blip' the engine as they approach corners.

quenjose
02-04-2009, 08:16 AM
i almost bought a v6 model a few years back until i found out the auto trans had been totally overhauled at 98k kms (which seemed unusual). I looked further into this and apparently with the v6 models, it was common for the transmission to fail around 100k kms requiring a rebuild or replacement.

thecarfridge
02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
american accords were terrible and i also heard some dealerships in australia refused to sell them here
So Japan manufactured is best? What about Thailand? No I am not racist in any way, simply asking the experiences of others (But like most aussies, I have a humorous disdain of all seppos!):)

beeza
02-04-2009, 11:20 AM
I've had manuals all my life but my civic now is auto.I'm 34 and an auto was a good change plus I'm local most the time and just cruise with 2Pac Pumpin' :)

After almost 4 years I'm due for a change.

The trick with the auto I reckon is too minimise the lag when launching i.e. Try to maximise the low end torque and for that they really need a dyno tune with Neptune,hondata,greddy e-manage etc.I haven't had an dynotune and below 4000 rpm it's laggy,then it opens up to redline 6'500rpm.

FDBenni
02-04-2009, 11:26 AM
By the way, most people can't use a manual box to it's full effect. It's only once the technique of 'heel and toe' can be performed cleanly without thinking about it can it be considered that the use of a manual box is truly mastered.

I learnt heel toe ever since i learnt manual, I mainly learnt it because I didn't want to feel the jerk on the downshifts, now I can't downshift without some sort of revmatch, also it just makes changing gears that much funner :)
I wouldn't say I've 'mastered' manual though since I only started not long ago, but IMO if you don't plan on learning it auto is the way to go. Auto or Manual is pretty much personal preference, manual involves the driver much more, auto for those luxury drives.

Crapdaz
02-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Do you find it once you learn manual and you drive an auto car it's either you feel like your going to crash it by late braking or you brake really early?

FDBenni
02-04-2009, 12:08 PM
haha yeh because of no engine brake and riding the brake all the time in auto. Also the auto roll feels weird after not driving it for such a long time gave me a bit of a freight when it started taking off by itself :wave:

beeza
02-04-2009, 02:11 PM
I left foot brake all the time now :)

FDBenni
02-04-2009, 06:03 PM
last time i tried i banged my head on the steering wheel :)

beeza
02-04-2009, 06:07 PM
hehe,yeah takes a little practice but I was suprised it didn't take long to get it down.

JohnL
03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
I left foot brake all the time now :)

That's good if the car is a kart, or automatic, or has a sequential or crash box that can be shifted properly without using the clutch, but with a conventional manual box it means you dan't have a foot available to use the clutch when needed...

The "heel / toe' technique involves using the right foot on both brake and throtle pedals at once so that you can brake and simultaneously 'blip' the throttle as you 'rev match' on the downshift.

beeza
07-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I see,I see.Yeah,mine is an auto,so it's simple atm :)

Frankie
07-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi guys what would be faster an auto Ek1 or a Mannaul EK1

I think mannual but are there any test done

beeza
07-04-2009, 05:41 PM
A manual forsure.Too much lag in the auto.

thepope1986
07-04-2009, 06:08 PM
the jap hondas have the best build quality by far but the parts are heaps more expensive whereas the thai built hondas arent as well built (its honda so its still pretty good but not as good as jap ones) and the thai parts are cheaper