PDA

View Full Version : EG or EK for track

nabsie
26-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm about to sell my motorbike and buy another car but I want to buy something as a project that can be used as a track car in the near future.

I've previously had WRX's with 185+ kw at the wheels, 2000 ITR and a Toyota Altezza which were all modded so you get the kind of cars I've had previously.

Anyway I'm on a lot tighter budget these days because I've just bought a house but I still wish to have some fun in the car department.

My thoughts are either an EG GLi or EK GLi hatch. Obviously I plan an engine swap down the track most likely to a B18C in either car. Would love to go K20A but lets be honest the cost is just huge. Other obvious track mods, coilovers, brakes, stripped....etc etc.

To cut to the chase I am wondering which one would be a better base to mod for the track and give me some cost effective driving pleasure.

Also is the GLi model in these cases my best starting point or better stepping up to a VTi or Si in the EG. Unfortunatly VTi-R in the EK is out of the question due to cost and they are rare as hens teeth. Not that a VTi / Si is easy to find. A good one that is.

EK1.6LCIV
26-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Im going to say EK GLi, slightly newer base to work with is all :D

ethier car will do ya well on the track or just for fun, I just like the interior of the EK more (I'm just baised as I own a preface EK, but Im not even going to get into which style to choose from :))

JDM-EGG
26-03-2009, 05:07 PM
mainly if u dont care abt if its newer or looks , go EG as the chassis is lighter and very easy to work with .. up to you really, there both good chassis .. if you chuck that b18c in!

cheers :)

jords
26-03-2009, 05:09 PM
EG is the way to go!

Whats your budget?

JDM-EGG
26-03-2009, 05:14 PM
if it was me , EG FTW ! HAHA its cheaper and lighter , wat more can u want ? esp if u find a rolling shell , cheap as chips cuz!

|N|
26-03-2009, 05:16 PM
EG for the better chassis.. provided that u can find one thats straight

markoJEK1
26-03-2009, 05:26 PM
EG is a better chassis for drag application over EKs (due to weight), EK has a more rigid chassis from factory, yes it might be more heavier, but do the right mods / weight reduction and you have a more solid platform for track use

nabsie
26-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Sorry, I probably should have been a little more particular about the type of track use I meant. I was meaning circut.

In terms of my budget. I am looking to spend sought of $5,000 - $6,000 on the base car. Obviously less is better LOL, more to spend on modding then.

Am I on the right track with the models that I am talking about...GLi that is? I know the EG GLi doesnt have rear discs but if I am looking at upgrading to ITR brakes all round then really it doesnt matter to much. I think the main thing is that there both EFI so no need to transplant fuel systems etc which would just be a PITA.

EGJOE
26-03-2009, 08:44 PM
ek rear subframe tears more easilly then eg when using bigger rear swaybar ie itr

NightKids
26-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Just go EG, it's the best car for track by far!!

AndreaCivic
27-03-2009, 09:14 PM
is it going to be a daily driver as well or just track?

Sp00ny
28-03-2009, 02:24 AM
I personally would prefer an EK chassis. Although there are valid arguements for both, It is always best to start with the better option as what you build will only be as strong as its base/weakest link.

Pros of EK:
- Stiffer and More rigid base than the EG
- Newer, less likely to be damaged
- Better Brakes usually
- Lets face it... It looks 20 times better lol :D

Cons of EK:
- Slightly Heavier
- Not as many interchangable parts... As EG's are compatable with alot of DC4/2 parts...
- More expensive than EG's (EG's seem to be having a spike in resale value though, I'm assuming due to high demand)
- EG's have the slight edge in the Aftermarket parts industry. Cheaper and more readily available both new and second hand.
- Engine conversions require slightly more work...

saikou27
28-03-2009, 08:00 PM
even though the ek's are better :P ,i'd go with the lighter eg because of your track plans

filip5
28-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Eg ftw

EG30
28-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Ek 50mm longer wheelbase which is a fair bit for car of this size, may or may not be what you want ie less nimble but more stable at high speed corners

Even the most basic cxi EK comes with EFI whereas basic models eg dont. EFI conversion not hard just adds costs to your project.

Si VTi and GLi models comes with efi, good donor cars, but what ppl ask for a good straight clean model often runs to 7-8K for the Si and Vti model which is about the same for a cheap EK4 VTi-R in a less popular colour ie green and higher mileage example. Easier to find a clean EK than EG due to age of the cars.

Ek4 best value one as a project car cos already B16a with rear discs etc, but it's a fair bit heavier than an eg being a later car and std sunroof fitment and all..

Depends how competitive you want to be at the end of the day. EG always lighter more nimble and better power to weight, and if you want better power to weight still there is also the option of ED hatches at the expense of parts interchangabilities with eg/dc2/ek.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
28-03-2009, 10:17 PM
What, ED too old?

EG30
28-03-2009, 10:30 PM
What, ED too old?

wont say it's too old just less options avail in terms of aftermarket stuff and things to can use from say dc2r and bolt straight on.

I have an ED9 with B16a, really like the car just wish it had more room under the bonnet also, and with the cable gearbox setup you cant just bolt up a later more robust/better shifting Ek4 or better still dc2r gearbox for example onto it.

simonnowis
28-03-2009, 10:38 PM
according to redbook, EG gli hatch is 1013kg kerb weight, EK gli hatch is 1037kg kerb weight. So there is barely a weight difference, I say go EK since you have tracking in mind, it handles great stock, even better with sussy mods. since its not a straightline race the little weight difference will be irrelevant, rather driver skill.

Benson
29-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Well put EG30

If you can find a cheap EK4, its a very good basis for a track build

Riviera
31-03-2009, 09:19 AM
good thread...

again with the track talk...
stripping the interior or not??? if you are might aswell go the EG...
if not then go EK... theres plenty of pics out there to draw inspiration from lol
they just look sex when lowered at track height... i love my EK
just rebuilt the B16A JDM spec with heavy duty clutch and lowered on coilovers
basically track ready and it handles like a go kart... up to you though

im not biased i love either shape EG with old skool rims and stretched tyres
mmm lol

:thumbsup::thumbsup: goodluck

MacDiZZle
31-03-2009, 11:36 AM
wont say it's too old just less options avail in terms of aftermarket stuff and things to can use from say dc2r and bolt straight on.

I have an ED9 with B16a, really like the car just wish it had more room under the bonnet also, and with the cable gearbox setup you cant just bolt up a later more robust/better shifting Ek4 or better still dc2r gearbox for example onto it.

:thumbsup: agreed! i love my ed! very very light and very rigid... and i just converted mine to a hydro tranny. like you said but it gets annoying how theres no room under the bonnet lol

JDM-EGG
31-03-2009, 02:22 PM
:thumbsup: agreed! i love my ed! very very light and very rigid... and i just converted mine to a hydro tranny. like you said but it gets annoying how theres no room under the bonnet lol

and the eg mate .. its got plenty of room ! HAHA EG :):):)

e240
31-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Comes down to what you want really..there's no good or bad

Proconcept Circuit EK - Red 1:17s Oran Park GP - Weight - ??
- White 1:19s Oran Park GP - Weight 1060+ (Minimum weight allowed ipra - he's got lead plates in the car)

HiPower CRX - 1:18 Oran Park GP - Weight - Light as

Benson's Street Reg EG - 1:19s Oran Park GP - Weight - ??
My Street Reg EG - 1:20s Oran Park GP - Weight - 1090+

I reckon if you want a full on light weight track car - get an EF Civic...

MacDiZZle
31-03-2009, 02:31 PM
and the eg mate .. its got plenty of room ! HAHA EG :):):)

bahahaha! good to know lol

JDM-EGG
31-03-2009, 02:39 PM
bahahaha! good to know lol

haha but i gotta love the ef front .. the shits hot man ! wouldnt mind having one .. if sumone wanted to swap ;) HAHAA nudge nudge

nabsie
31-03-2009, 02:41 PM
good thread...

again with the track talk...
stripping the interior or not??? if you are might aswell go the EG...
if not then go EK... theres plenty of pics out there to draw inspiration from lol
they just look sex when lowered at track height... i love my EK
just rebuilt the B16A JDM spec with heavy duty clutch and lowered on coilovers
basically track ready and it handles like a go kart... up to you though

im not biased i love either shape EG with old skool rims and stretched tyres
mmm lol

:thumbsup::thumbsup: goodluck

I really love both the EG and the EK. Like you say, EG with old school wheels and stretched rubber looks sweet. On the other hand the EK in track spec looks mighty tuff as it is that bit more moden. I look at the EG as a slightly more cost effective option as the power to weight of an EG with a B16A would be nice and B18C even better. Parts availability and interchangeability is great. Personally if I was going EK I would want a B18C minimum or K20 even better but $$$$.

In terms of stripping the interior. At most I would do a half strip. So no rear seats or rear carpet, no rear trims or boot stuff. Leave the door trims dash and center console replace the steering wheel with a nardi or something similar and buckets. The roof lining would have to stay as being in the sun without would be like an oven.

MacDiZZle
31-03-2009, 02:43 PM
haha but i gotta love the ef front .. the shits hot man ! wouldnt mind having one .. if sumone wanted to swap ;) HAHAA nudge nudge

Hell to the no! ive put to many late nights into this puppy to swap it just yet lol i havent even raced it yet... first run on saturday!!!

Ek9BRO
03-04-2009, 04:58 PM
This threads great aahahah.

EK's look heaps better and thats a fact!:)
EG's dont look as great, they look abit less modern compared to the EK.

Depending on whether you plan to use the car 4 the tracks. For serious racers EG would probly be better as more parts are compatible.

For Real Racing - EG
Ricer - EK

max9907.0422
04-04-2009, 12:39 AM
I agree!!!

This threads great aahahah.

EK's look heaps better and thats a fact!:)
EG's dont look as great, they look abit less modern compared to the EK.

Depending on whether you plan to use the car 4 the tracks. For serious racers EG would probly be better as more parts are compatible.

For Real Racing - EG
Ricer - EK

nigs
04-04-2009, 11:59 AM
EK has a strange seating position much like the DC2.
EG feels like home, as do many cars around that era.
Think it's just a personal thing though. =\

EG feels lower and more planted over the EK even with low seat rails.

Get EG
Strip
Seam weld
Replace all bushes
Cage it up
Three wheel into driveways
Win.

JDM EK9
13-04-2009, 09:24 PM
EK Bro!